7.5

2014 Audi A4 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Audi A4:

2014 Audi A4 Owner Comments

Jan 162016

A4

Over the course of the last 3-month to current. Sometime, the steering wheel becomes loose while driving (easily moves no response), like it is un-aware of where the front tires are or the steering disengages with the car, then it catches and turns into the lane and realizes the position of the steering wheel. I believe this is called "notchy." On-going, from day to day.

- Reno, NV, USA

Apr 102015

A4 4-cyl

At highway speeds the steering becomes stiff when changing lanes and it does not respond to going back to the center of lane right away it gives resistance it wants to keep going on to the last direction the steering was going it has gradually gotten worst even on city streets normal driving I could feel resistance the steering feels stiff and heavy the steering wanders from straight path on highway the steering sometimes goes against direction you want car to go causing a moment of panic god forbid a fatality occurs took it to service Audi driving test we came back they did diagnostic they said the computer says nothing wrong it seems to me they set computer with low safety standard they are trying to cover this up someone of authority needs to step in and hold them accountable I see many same complaints on consumer websites please helps us against this potential and fatal hazard.

- Bronx , NY, USA

Jun 012014

A4

Our brand new A-4 has a steering problem on the highway.it requires constant corrections to keep it going in a straight line.it has caused me to drift into other lanes and the berm.we had an A-6 that was so easy to drive, then an A-3 that is so fun to drive, but we have nothing but regrets after buying this A-4.

- Newark, OH, USA

Mar 182014

A4 4-cyl

After picking up my new A4 and reaching highway speed, I noticed the steering was wanting to wander. After getting home I went online and read other owners same complaints on this web page. I drove the car again yesterday and noticed the Audi drive select feature was mainly causing the problem. If I selected the dynamic or sport mode it would started to wander off. In the other two modes it seemed to be pretty normal. This might be ok on the race track where your making turns all the time, but for normal driving it stinks. Audi needs to look into this right away.

- Junction City, OH, USA

Mar 102014

A4 4-cyl

This vehicles electromechanical steering system will not hold the vehicle in a straight line. The steering wanders extremely bad when at highway speeds. When making steering corrections the car will continue to travel in the direction of the last correction even when the wheel is returned to dead-center. This issue is amplified if there is any amount of wind/cross winds. The vehicle will literally allow itself be blown almost into the next lane when holding the wheel straight and at times with strong wind will even do this when compensating by turning the wheel against the push of the wind. It is nearly impossible to hold a line without constant corrections to the steering angle. This issue should be corrected by Audi via a firmware update or some other corrective measure. In my opinion this makes the vehicle very unpredictable and at times very unsafe to travel on the highway with. If the car is hit by a strong cross wind it will drive the car "sideways" into the opposite lane or breakdown lane.

- Freeport , ME, USA

Nov 132013

A4 4-cyl

My new 2014 Audi A4 quattro premium plus has a severe and extremely hazardous steering issue where the car drifts left to right and right to left at all speeds but is more pronounced at highway speeds. This car is a hazard to drive.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 052013

A4 4-cyl

I bought a new 2014 Audi A4 and noticed immediately, once I hit freeway speeds, the car would not track straight. Once centered in the lane and releasing the steering wheel the car started to drift either left or right in that than 5 seconds. The direction if the drift seems to be dependent on the direct of the last course correction. If I had to turn left to center the car in the lane then it would wander left when the wheel was released, if the last course correction was right then it would wander right. I brought the car into the dealer and they could not find any problems mechanically and it had the latest software flash. I was told it was performing as designed. The senior technician was well aware of the problem but Audi's tech center could not recommend a fix at this time.

- Gilroy, CA, USA