2011 Audi A5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Audi A5:

2011 Audi A5 Owner Comments

Dec 262014

This vehicle when I start in the morning feels like something is rubbing on the wheels. It maybe the wheel bearings. Also just like the other Audi owners have said this car consumes at least a quart of oil every 800 to a 1000 miles or so. I decided on this vehicle based on reputation, I've had it a year and I'm not happy. I thought this was normal. But I see its not. Please help.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Mar 212015

March 21 my low oil light came on, as it has every couple of months from the day I bought my car. Audi always told me this was normal. I would go to the dealer every couple of months when the light came on and get a quart poured in. I've never had another issue with the car and I have serviced it perfectly at the dealership. About a month ago I got notice of the class action lawsuit for my car and it's overconsumption of oil. On March 21st when I had more oil added, we made an appointment for the oil oversconsumption problem to be fixed. That night at midnight. I started my car. Drove about a block to an intersection. Stopped at the light. And the car stopped. The timing chain broke and the engine is destroyed. A timing chain should never break. I am lucky I was not driving on the freeway when the engine failed. The oil overconsumption could definitely lead to the timing chain breaking. Audi refuses to admit this even though it is documented. There is a documented manufacturer defect in my engine for the 2011 A5S, but they refuse to cover the engine replacement. It is their fault. I was sitting on a time bomb and Audi was fully aware that this could happen and they never checked and never mentioned it to me. Now they expect me to cover the cost of a new engine when it was a manufacturer problem. It clearly states in the class action suit that the defect can lead to complete engine failure. I am over my warranty, but that should not matter. This defect existed from day one. They need to be held responsible.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 012013

A5 4-cyl

The Audi 2.0T engine is known to have issues with significant oil consumption. During service visits I have mentioned to the Audi dealer that the car burns a quart of oil every 1000-1200 miles. Audi claims that this is part of the engine design in order for it to give better fuel economy. This is clearly not true. I have friends with Audi equipped with the 2.0T engine and they have zero oil consumption. There are multiple online blogs with other Audi owners complaining about this issue. It is clearly something that Audi should be forced to issue a recall to resolve the matter. I happen to won two Audi's with this same 2.0T engine, both have the excessive oil consumption issue.

- Ridgefield, CT, USA