2011 Audi Q5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Audi Q5:

2011 Audi Q5 Owner Comments

Aug 302016

The contact owns a 2011 Audi Q5. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle jerked and would not restart. The check engine indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain tensioner needed to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure was not remedied. The failure mileage was 110,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Mar 282016

After my Q5 has been in the service department 3 times for the same issue broke down on a very busy highway with my small child on board. My Audi advisor told me to try to bring it to the dealer. We did not make it. Car had to be towed. After 2 weeks, I was advised I needed a new engine at the cost of $14,700. This is after it had been fixed several times before for the same issue. Secondly, it has a recall that has been published and Audi's response to me was the recall repair is not available yet. They are however are working with takata to produce replacement parts. So, again they are jeopardizing mine and my families safety. And the oil consumption is ridiculous. No vehicle should use a quart of oil every 1000 miles. This is an unacceptable company and their responses are all scripted.

- Wolfe City, TX, USA

Sep 132015

The car has always had proper maintenance and care. This can be documented with Audi of huntsville al. No warnings or indicator lights were present. The car was parked and about 15 minutes later a passerby came into the restaurant in which we were dining saying a gray Audi was on fire. Owner of restaurant tried to use handheld fire extinguisher to the front grill. No luck as it immediately melted the hood and engulfed the whole car in flames. Took firemen 30 minutes to put it out. They had no idea of cause but speculated electrical as the source.

- Murrells Inlet, SC, USA

Feb 282014

The vehicle was purchased with 20,000 miles and has been burning oil since. The car is under warranty and has gone through the manufactures oil consumption test, both 1 and 2 which they are saying barely passed. The car is continuing to burn oil and has gone through phase 1 again for the second time and am being told it passed. Audi states an oil change is good for 10,000 miles and here I am at 7,000 miles having to put oil in it and taking my car to the dealership every few months to test it.

- Fall River, MA, USA

Oct 022012

The Audi 2.0T engine is known to have issues with significant oil consumption. The car has been at Audi with this issue several times. During other service visits I have mentioned to the Audi dealer that the car burns a quart of oil every 1000-1200 miles. Audi claims that this is part of the engine design in order for it to give better fuel economy. This is clearly not true. I have friends with Audi equipped with the 2.0T engine and they have zero oil consumption. There are multiple online blogs with other Audi owners complaining about this issue. It is clearly something that Audi should be forced to issue a recall to resolve the matter.

- Ridgefield, CT, USA

Apr 142014

I purchased a certified preowned Audi Q5 last March 2013. The vehicle was running fine. No problems or concerns. I took the vehicle to an Audi dealer in February 2014 for an annual service and also in March 2014 for my yearly inspection/emissions testing. On April 2014, I had loss the vehicle due to an unknown fire that had started in the car. Yes, my car was engulfed in fire! prior to this fire, I had no problems or messages on my dashboard or smelled smoke while I had drove the car. The car was running fine up until that day. I have no idea what happened to my vehicle. The insurance company had investigated this vehicle, and they stated that arson was not the blame for the fire. They R/O an electrical issue that might of been the cause of the fire. The insurance company had also researched recalls and manufacturer defects, and they claimed there were no issues. I am completely stunned about this incident. The car was parked all day, and I just can't believe out of nowhere that the car had caught on fire. I've been in contact with the dealer where I purchased the vehicle, and they are as shocked as I am about what happen. Hopefully, I'll get an explanation as to why the vehicle had mysteriously caught on fire.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 282014

Q5 4-cyl

Vehicle is burning and consuming oil. I take to dealer for oil changes and last one indicated great. Every 4 days I have to put a quart of oil in the truck. I only have 67,000 miles and no warranty. Audi isn't taking responsibility for the car. And there are no bulletins or recalls from Audi although I've read numerous post about oil consumption in the Audi Q5.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Mar 242014

Q5 4-cyl

Less than 1 yr after I purchased my vehicle, I began having problems with oil consumption. I took it to the dealer and they did oil consumption test and replaced crankcase breather valve and front main seal & ECM update. High oil consumption continued, dealer stated that it was acceptable as long as it was 1200 or more per 1/4 qt of oil. I have complained several times and dealer says it is normal for the car. Now, I am past my warranty and the car is consuming 1/4 quart oil to 760 miles. After some research on internet found that many people are having issues with the oil consumption on this vehicle and the auto maker is not addressing the issue. Others had pistons and rings changed to resolve the issue. Currently, I am spending an extra $90 a month on oil. I have had many issues with this car and see that this model year is riddled with issues. I also had issues with fuel injectors after receiving notice that it was highly unlikely that my car would have such an issue and after 3 returns to the dealer they finally acknowledge that it was a fuel injection issue and replaced them.

- Jackson, NJ, USA