2.2

2011 Audi S4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Audi S4:

2011 Audi S4 Owner Comments

Oct 202015

S4

Engine - excessive oil consumption (1qt refill is require for every 750miles). Dsg transmission getting gearbox malfunction, you can continue to drive on dashboard. This is due to P179E - drive range sensor electrical error.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jan 012015

S4 6-cyl

I was accelerating, after leaving a restaurant, into traffic. I received the "dsg malfunction light" and suddenly at about 20mph my lurched forward and failed to respond to the throttle and shut off in traffic. Car restarted after about 30 seconds but definitely not something that should go without notice. If I was on the interstate and throttle went out situation could have been much worse.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 292014

S4 6-cyl

Audi recently replaced my 2nd thermostat (1st was 11/2012 and the 2nd was 11/24/2014), not under warranty, and returned my car to me after holding onto my car for two weeks. I was told that my vehicle checked out okay via a diagnostic and mechanics review. I drove my S4 for two days and while driving, I received an indicator warning that read, gearbox malfunction reverse not available, you can still drive. I then noticed that the car began to violently buck when I accelerated. The car surged forward while driving in traffic which was alarming to both my 10yr old daughter and I. other cars had to drive around us and one vehicle almost hit my car in the rear. I continued to drive at a limited speed and immediately, the TPMS warning indicator lit up and the car lost speed. The car would barely move at 10 mph and I limped back to a relatives underground parking garage. Once I parked I could not get the car to reverse out of the parking space. I called Audi and they stated that I would have to tow the vehicle to the nearest Audi service center. The vehicle was towed to Audi and I am waiting to hear the results of their findings. I have already invested over $1,750 in vehicle repairs (thermostat and rear brakes/rotors). I do not want to continue to invest money into this vehicle pit. Audi needs to recall these faulty parts (thermostat and mechatronic) and stand behind their product. I've seen numerous complaints in forums and on this site referencing these same issues.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Sep 292014

S4 6-cyl

There is a well known issue with the Audi 3.ot engine's plastic thermostat failing! I was driving and the thermostat failed causing the engine temp to skyrocket to "H"! I drove home because I was close enough with the heater on high. They flatbeded my car on 9/29/14 from my driveway to the Audi dealership. Dealership determined it was a failed thermostat and replaced it with another "plastic themostat." The second thermostat failed 2 days later. I just took the car to the Audi dealership again this morning 10/3/14 to have it replaced again! this part needs reengineered because its plastic and will fail at some point. Thank god I wasnt out of state with my family and it failed because I would have been stranded!

- Wexford , PA, USA