2008 BMW 128 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 128:

2008 BMW 128 Owner Comments

Mar 022009

The tail light assembly on the 2008 BMW one series is now being replaced for the second time (three if you count the factory). The fist time the car had 6K miles on it the second time (Aug 2015) it has 50K miles. Per the dealer this is being caused by a bad housing in the taillight kit. It has always been replaced at the dealer using BMW parts. Currently both tail lights are not working.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Sep 162013

128 6-cyl

The 3rd brake light located on the truck lid, cracked and fell out. I took the car to my BMW dealer and they said it was not covered by my extended warranty (which is still valid) and that bit would cost 360 to fix the problem. I did a search on line at and found numerous other 1 series BMW owners had the same problem. It appears some did have their vehicles repaired by BMW without charge and others did not. On the forum I also learned BMW issued a technical service bulletin to their dealers about this issue. I believe this problem with the broken tail light is a common problem for 1 series bmws between 2008 and 2011. Given this is a brake lamp this issue also presents a safety hazard. I called directly to BMW at 1-800-831-1117 and spoke with a company representative. After explaining the issue he advised me that BMW does not have a recall for this issue and they would repair my vehicle at my expense. I contend this is a manufacturer's flaw and because it is also a safety issue should be fixed under a recall. I request your assistance in resolve my issue with BMW.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Feb 012010

"3rd brakelight" lens continues to break. I purchased the car in June of 2008 and it is on its 3rd replacement lens under warranty. This is a very expensive part and I'm concerned about others being able to see me when I apply the brakes!

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA