5.4

2012 BMW 135 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 BMW 135:

2012 BMW 135 Owner Comments

Sep 012013

135 6-cyl

I have brought my car into schomp BMW twice for this issue, the latest being last week telling them I believe there is a recall for my vehicle and it feels as if it will stall as I am turning a corner or stopped and begin accelerating. They showed no recall and hooked my car up to computer and no codes came back with any issues. I am really scared that my car will stall in the middle of turning in front of traffic. It has hesitated to where I have had to press the accelerator to the floor to get the car to move. I am afraid for my safety and for the safety of others. I received the official recall notice in the mail Wednesday and called schomp and told them I want it repaired immediately if that is the issue. They told me they don't have parts and that I will receive another notice and that I have to wait. I am nervous that something will happen and someone will be injured. What can I do for now?

- Aurora, CO, USA

May 012013

135

Vehicle equipped with 7 speed dct transmission. When car had almost come to a stop there was sudden burst of engine speed (to about 2500 RPM) causing car to shoot forward. Accident avoided by jamming on the brake. This then happened several more times. Dealer re-programmed ECM and problem has not gone away. Occurs intermittently. Most recent episode in my own garage where barely avoided driving into front wall when it surged. Dealer again re-set software. Clear from dealers reaction that this is not isolated incident and clear that they don't have a real solution. This is basically a variant of unintended acceleration and an accident waiting to happen.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Jun 302013

135

When driving in traffic the BMW 135I dct transmission will stall when coming to a stop. This results in a loss of power steering. Sometimes before the car stalls, the engine will rev without driver input to 2500 RPM and drop the clutch which results in a rapid acceleration if your foot is not on the brake this can be extremely dangerous. I have almost crashed the car many times as a result of this. BMW issued a technical service bulletin to dealers that can be found if you google the issue, but there is no known remedy. The car has been in and out of the dealer close to 10 times and they claim there is no issue. I believe the issue to be with software of the engine and transmission.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 242012

135 6-cyl

From the time of ownership (March 16, 2012) to now, the vehicle shuts off during operation while in idle RPM speed. The vehicle is equipped with a six-speed manual transmission. Whether the clutch is fully pressed in and in-gear, or the vehicle is out-of-gear, there is a possibility for the idle rpms dropping and the engine shutting off. This mostly occurs while stopping for a red light, stopping for a stop sign, or in stop-and-go traffic on the highway. For example, the vehicle is approaching a stop sign at 25mph. The clutch is fully pressed in, the brakes are applied, and the gear shifter is changed from 3rd gear to 1st gear. While approaching a complete stop with the clutch still fully pressed in, the engine rpms will drop from normal idle speed (600-800rpm) to zero. Therefore the engine has shut off going 3-5mph, leaving the driver with no power steering and no power brakes. Sometimes this stall is violent; the vehicle shakes while rpms drop. Other times, the vehicle would stall without the driver even noticing. Also, this vehicle stalled twice while taking a turn at 15-20mph and the driver had to avoid an accident on both occasions because of this stalling issue. This critical safety problem occurred at a magnitude of once a month from March 2012 until July 2013. From July 2013 to September 2013, this stalling issue occurred three times a week. Then from September 2013 to now, the problem went back to once every month. This vehicle has been to the BMW dealership many times but because the problem is intermittent, the dealership could not replicate the issue; therefore applying no repair or solution to this critical problem. BMW North America was contacted after the shop foreman explained that the vehicle cannot be fixed. BMW North America did not help in any way, therefore lawyer-involvement is in effect to attempt in lemoning this dangerous vehicle.

- Orlando, FL, USA