1997 BMW 318 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 BMW 318:

1997 BMW 318 Owner Comments

Aug 092015

When I was at a stop light, my engine began to accelerate with my foot on the brake. When the light turned green the engine continued to revve higher. It did not tamper down until I put the car in neutral. The engine continued to revve when I began to drive again until I came to my destination and placed the car in park and shut the engine off. It drove fine without further incident that day. Before the incident I had turned on the A/C. on Tuesday (2 days later) it unintentionally accelerated again at higher revolutions at the same stop light. I repeated what I did but this incident, the car did not throttle down. It was as if it was in manual mode with throttle fully opened. I had to put the car in neutral then park. My destination at both times was 10 min away. It drove fine ever since. I had the car about a week. I did test drive the car and it did not have any history of this.

- Bronx, NY, USA