2010 BMW 320d engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 BMW 320d:

2010 BMW 320d Owner Comments

Mar 232015

Catalytic permanent failure-replace, 08may14, 30kmiles. Oxygen sensor replace, 16jun14, 30kmiles. Extreme carbon build up-walnut blast cylinders, clean intake&exhaust side, 23mar15, 35kmiles. Replace injector, 08apr15, 35K miles. Replace nox sensor, 17apr15, 29kmiles. Diesel active tank failure 28 Sept 15, 37K miles. Catalytic converter failure-part on back order, 28sept15, 37kmiles. Dsc rear sensor failure,07dec15, 38K miles. Above engine and related emissions faults caused poor mileage and poor engine performance and expensive repairs, likely to be needed again-specifically walnut blasting. Per BMW problem caused due to car being driven in city and not highway, "to blow it out"- luckily no accidents

- Metairie, LA, USA

Jul 252015

When driving on pa-401, I approached stop sign at pa-82. My speed was approximately 40 mph, slowing to make a routine stop. When approaching the intersection at low speed, I started hearing a pulsing thump from the passenger side of the car. Drove slowly home and had the car towed to a BMW dealer. It turned out that the two aluminium engine mount bolts on the passenger side of the car snapped. This meant that the engine was not properly fastened to the frame - a very dangerous situation. Engine mount bolts should not snap for no reason. And BMW should cover their replacement (parts and labor) at no charge to the owner. (my car was certified pre-owned, so I only had a $50 out of pocket cost, but once it expires later this year, my cost would have been significantly higher, not to mention the danger of driving a car with a bouncing, unsecured engine)

- Chester Springs, PA, USA

Mar 042015

320d 6-cyl

Engine ignition coil failed and car started to shake rendering it unable to drive. Car is towed to dealership who indicated that ignition coil failures are a common issue across bmws. There are recalls on this problem in european countries and I am wondering why there isn't a recall in the us.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jan 132015

320d 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway 295 around 67 mph. While I was on the highway about 10 minutes I felt a loss of speed about five times. It feel like I let go the gas pedal, but I never did. And suddenly the car stalled while I was on 67 mph. I try to pulled to the right side lane of the highway. I try to start the car back up but it won't start. I keep tryin for about ten times and it about half an hour went by it start back up again.

- Pennsauken, NJ, USA

Sep 232014

The contact owns a 2010 BMW 3 series. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, smoke started to emit from the front driver side of the vehicle. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road in order to inspect the vehicle. The contact stated that once the hood of vehicle was open, he observed flames coming from the engine. The contact extinguished the fire. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who stated the emission valve overheated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Stanford, CT, USA