1.6

2001 BMW 325 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 BMW 325:

2001 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 042015

325

The contact owns a 2001 BMW 325I. While driving various speeds, both rear lights failed. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V438000 (exterior lighting). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Munger, MI, USA

Aug 012015

325

The rear parking light went out in my car, so I purchased more bulbs, but the bulb never worked. I took my car to my BMW dealership for the takata recall, they checked the light too and said that a part in the housing had burned all the way down. I recently checked on recalls, and found that there were problems with the housing that houses the brake and signal lights, beginning with 2002 models. My car is a 325I 2001, I feel that this year should be included in a recent recall, I researched online, and found that there are many 2001 BMW 325is with the same problem as the that recall. This could possibly cause an accident. I really think this should be included immediately.

- Troy, MI, USA

May 152015

325

A recall has been issued for this problem for cars produced from 9/1/01 to 02/01/05. [recall campaign 11V-438: Repair ground cable for rear light lamps (side panel)]....updated 09/22/15 I have the exact same problem although my car was produced approximately 14 months prior to the vehicles affected by the recall. Situation one or more of the following lights does not function in the rear lamp assembly, mounted on the rear quarter panel (rear parking light, rear turn signal, and rear brake light). Cause a poor ground connection at the rear lamp assembly (connectors X338 left side " pin # 2 and X339 right side " pin # 3) causes a malfunction of the rear tail lamps.

- Cambridge, MA, USA

Oct 152014

325

The contact owns a 2001 BMW 325I. When the brake pedal was depressed, the passenger side tail light became inoperable. In addition, the headlights flashed independently without warning. The contact also stated that the headlights became inoperable intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 190,000.

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Apr 042014

325 6-cyl

My BMW is having the same issues that the 2002 BMW 3 series has a recall on. The rear taillights are burning the neutral wire and connector off in the lamp assemblies. Causing the lights to become in operable.

- Munster, IN, USA

Sep 012013

325 6-cyl

The oem tail lamp assemblies overheat at the plugin pin #3 causing fire. This affects both right and left tail lamp assemblies. I have had to replace both tail lamp assemblies multiple times. This problem also affects the xenon headlamp function causing the headlamps to fail, sometimes both headlamps at the same time making it dangerous during night time driving.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 152013

325

Pin number 3 on the taillight bulb housing begins to melt at the connection point causing any number of things to happen with the electrical system. You may experience flickering headlights, loss of taillight function, loss of turn signal function, or electrical fire.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Sep 282013

325

The contact owns a 2001 BMW 325ci convertible. The contact stated that the headlights failed while driving approximately 30 mph. The passenger's side headlight began to flicker intermittently as the driver's side headlight remained inoperable. In addition, both brake lights failed to illuminate upon engagement of the brakes. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Lakewood , NJ, USA

Jun 122013

325

My passenger brake light out of the blue started not working as I took it in the dealership they said a socket connector that involves the wires have been corrupted and burnt out. This is a serious hazard while out on the roads, I have seen many other post about that are having the same issues and im unaware of any recalls about this is issues. This is a issues that needs to have some attention.

- Bloomington, MN, USA

May 232013

325 6-cyl

Right side rear lights burned out replaced bulbs nothing happened unplugged the harness to find #4 prong completely burned away on car checked the left side and the same thing is happening it is getting hot and looks like it is ready to burn out also.

- Vista, CA, USA

Apr 152013

325 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 BMW 325xi. The contact stated that while parked, she noticed that the exterior lighting warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the passenger side tail light socket and wiring was melted and was emitting smoke. The mechanic stated that the tail light panel would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 138,000.

- Newport News, VA, USA

May 142013

325 6-cyl

Electrical ground contact resistance in rear tail lamp has rendered tail lamp non functional and caused warning lamp illumination. Problem appears to be identical to campaign 11V438000.

- Durham, NC, USA

Feb 222013

325

I own a 2001 BMW 325I. The ground wires for the tail light assembly burned out, causing the lights to become inoperable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised the contact that there were no recalls for the failure. The repairs would include adding a ground wire to the tail light assembly. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who advised teh contact that there were no recalls for his vehicle and offered no other assistance.

- Elgin, SC, USA

Feb 082013

325 6-cyl

Headlights flicker on and off while driving. Tail lights and brake lights non-functional. I believe this is an issue related to previous recall of BMW's recalled in NHTSA campaign number 11V438000. I called BMW which told me my car was not covered under that recall. I believe that it should be.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 012012

325 6-cyl

Right side tail lights failed in the manner described in NHTSA campaign id number: 11V438000. This vehicle was manufactured in 2000-10-30 and that campaign applies to vehicles manufactured after 09-2001.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Mar 152010

325

The contact owns a 2001 BMW 325ci. The contact stated that while traveling 60 mph, the left turn signal failed to work properly. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who confirmed that the turn signal connectors were found to be melted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 125,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 032012

325 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 BMW 325I. The contact stated that his dashboard began to illuminate indicating light failure and immediately after the contact turned the headlights on and they began to flash. The contact was able to remedy the failure by unplugging the rear brake assembly. The contact was informed of a recall for this failure but the manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included. The failure and current mileage was 137,000....updated 10/17/12

- Mendham, NJ, USA

Aug 012012

325 6-cyl

A friend was following me home and nearly ran in back of me because she said I didn't brake, I told her I did, but a warning light came on in my car, so I went to purchase more bulbs, the bulb worked for a couple of hours, then the warning light came back on, then days later the other one, I took to mechanic, he found that a part in the housing had burned all the way down, and that I should check on recalls, because it's no fault of mine... I checked recalls and found that there were problems with the housing that houses the brake and signal lights, beginning with 2002... my car is a 325I 2001, I feel that this year should be included in the current recall, I researched online, and found that I am not the only one with a 2001 bmw325I with the same problem as the current recall... this could definitely cause an accident, with the housing working one minute and out the next, really think this should be included immediately... I was pulled over by an officer stating I didn't signal, but I did, the signal worked in car, but didn't outside...

- College Park, GA, USA

Sep 012011

325

The contact owns a 2001 BMW 325I. The contact was driving 35 mph when the rear driver's side brake light and turn signals failed. The failure recurred numerous times. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 11V438000 (exterior lighting:brake lights) and the vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis however he was informed that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the issue but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable.the failure and current mileages were 112,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 022012

325 6-cyl

Recently my rear taillights were noticeably darker and less responsive. Taking my BMW to my authorized BMW dealership/service center, resulted in a diagnosis that the rear wire harness needed to be replaced at a cost of ~$300. Following the visit to the dealership/service center, resulted in the rear light failing completely. Researching this incident online produced many similar problems w/other 330I models and I also discovered that NHTSA had issued a recall of BMW 3-series from my 02-06. My BMW is a 01. It is apparent, from the many postings on BMW boards and websites, that this defect also occurs in older bmws of the same E46 series earlier than model yr 2002. I ask that NHTSA extend the previous recall to earlier model years of the E46 series of bmws.

- Chicago, IL, USA