2.1

2004 BMW 325 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 BMW 325:

2004 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 042015

325

The power door lock on passenger side cannot be unlocked either via remote or inside button. Worse, often when this happens, the door cannot be opened even by pulling on the handle from the inside! a passenger cannot get out of the car via the door. Furthermore, repeatedly attempts to have this fixed all fail within a short time.

- Woodside, CA, USA

Feb 042015

325

All doors, with the exception of drivers door, are unable to open manually inside and outside. Cannot use alarm or unlock button to open either. This is of great concern considering I have two young children under my care.

- Granada Hills, CA, USA

Nov 202014

325 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 BMW 325I. The contact stated that the turn signals and the headlights failed to activate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the light module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 202,000. Updated 4/7/15

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Oct 162014

325

The contact owns a 2004 BMW 325I. The contact stated that after parking the vehicle, the doors would not unlock. The contact attempted to unlock the doors manually and by using the key fob but failed to respond. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The failure could not be duplicated or diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jan 092015

325 6-cyl

I was not able to unlock my car with my car key. I was able to hear the click sound on pressing the unlock button on the key but nothing was happening. After numerous attempts for about 10 minutes car got unlocked. Now I'm having this problem on/off basis. I took the car to the local BMW dealer. After diagnose they said I have a failed general module which will cost me around $1000. This is way too much for car for it's total value of around $7000. This is scary since I'm not able to trust the locking system on my car. Sometime I'm not able to lock at all and at sometime I'm not able to unlock anything.

- Union City, CA, USA

Nov 012014

325

The heating element on my 2004 BMW X3 caught on fire while I was driving. I don't use it often, but had noticed a hot smell when I did use it and that it would be too warm in the lumbar and hip region. The fire actually burned about a dime size hole in the driver side left seat panel (under the thigh). After reading of many others having the same or worse experiences, I am glad I immediately shut if off, although it still burned all the way through the leather. Please advise me of next steps I should take. I have shut off the heater and will no longer use it. With so many complaints, I would think this would result in a recall. Thanks for your advice.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Oct 212014

325

Wire loosing coating on inside of adaptive headlights, causing shorts or broken wires where the headlights and or turn signals will fail to work. Wire is very brittle as this is also roughly 20 gauge wire. This can be an extreme hazard especially at night. This seems to be affecting BMW's 3/5/6/ series from at least 2004 to 2008 from my independent research. Many pictures and complaints on various BMW forums to document this problem. My problem occurred when I lost one headlight on my way home in the dark and an indicator came on to identify a fault in the headlight. Originally I though it was a bulb, changed bulb and it still did not work. Further investigation led to a broken wire inside of the headlight assembly. I fixed the broken wire and then noticed two more wires where the coating on the wire seem to have flaked off causing bare wire. I also fixed those wires and all was well. A day or two later, the indicator came on again pointing to the same headlight. This time the turn signal was out. I opened the access panel to check the wiring and now a forth wire has been severed, however I can not fix it as it is down pretty far inside the headlight and to repair would require removing the headlight and taking it apart. Apparently BMW used biodegradable wire for the headlights?? source of the headlight is believed to be hella. Supposedly BMW knows about the issue but unwilling to fix unless you purchase a $800-1500 new headlight. This is crazy for a car that is 10 years old and well maintained. This is a safety hazard as you will can loose a headlight in the dark and maybe both headlights going out, plus the fact of bare wires that can short and cause a fire.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Aug 012012

325 6-cyl

As reported by other owners, the bi-xenon headlights no longer light up the road. It is a safety hazard and is a known issue with headlights manufactured by zkw on 2003-2005 BMW 330 models. The reflector bowls on these units burn out over time and reduce the headlights ability to reflect light. Driving at night is literally no better with the headlights on or off. I have to rely on my fog lights just to see anything. Please look into this safety issue as it is wide-spread. Replacement of headlights is expensive at $1300 ea, this has to be resolved by BMW immediately.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 222014

325 6-cyl

Cannot open the 3 passenger doors from interior. Passengers cannot exit the car.

- Aptos, CA, USA

Feb 182013

325

My bi-xenon headlights have been slowly fading resulting in extremely poor visibility during normal nightime driving. This degradation has been occurring without my knowledge until it became obvious after driving another vehicle. As it turns out, my mechanic has advised there is a common issue with certain BMW assemblies that the projector lenses literally burn due to heat resulting in the need to replace the entire assembly. This loss of headlight intensity resulting in poor visibility is a significant safety situation and request someone look into why no recall has occurred as this is obviously a safety concern. I have entered today's date as incident date as I am not sure when degradation of the projectors began.

- Davie, FL, USA

Feb 162008

325 6-cyl

Door locks intermittently will not unlock with switch or remotes. Central locking does not work even when using the key fob. My kids and I have been trapped in the car on several occasions for up to 10 minutes. This is a serious risk to my life and the life of others on the road. BMW refuses to fix this problem. I have video of me trapped in the car. I addressed his problem with BMW before my warranty was up but they state since the technicians could not identity any problem it's not covered. I researched this issue and this is an ongoing problem with other customers.

- Menifee , CA, USA

Nov 092012

325

The contact owns a 2004 BMW 325ci. The contact stated that she noticed there was a leak from under the front of the vehicle. The contact then attempted to start the vehicle but to no avail. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they advised her that the battery failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 63,000.

- Montebella, CA, USA

Oct 022012

325 6-cyl

Driver side brake lamp has gone out. In researching, found that this is a common problem with this model in the led tail light and can cause a crash due to other drivers not being able to tell that you are stopping. Found recall information on NHTSA site and contacted BMW. I was informed that my specific VIN was not included in this campaign, yet the problem is the same problem that affects 241,000 other cars. I would like to ask that my situation (and VIN) be evaluated and included in the recall since this is a known issue with this model. Thank you for your assistance!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 092012

325

Module that controls central locking, wipers, and several other parts (the GM5) started to develop a fault. We had problems unlocking doors, locking doors, using windows, and worst of all - the wipers were hit or miss. BMW wanted $750 for the part replacement.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 042012

325

The vehicle came equipped from the factory with bi-xenon auto leveling headlights manufactured by zkw. The light output of the headlights is below any vehicle that I have encountered on the road. Cars that are over 20 years old have brighter headlights. I have replaced the bulbs and it hasn't helped. Looking at it further, brown scorch marks are visible in the projector when the headlight is on. The rear of the projector is completely brown and burnt. At night, it is becoming very difficult to see. At this point I don't feel safe driving the vehicle. This problem is getting progressively worse.

- Clackamas, OR, USA

Mar 062012

325

My BMW 325I xenon headlight bowls had melted and dimmed toa dangerous point, they are all original and unaltered.

- Caselberry, FL, USA

Feb 152012

325 6-cyl

The vehicle had been parked approximately 15-20 minutes when we were alerted by the fire alarm in our condo building. Upon evacuating the building, we were told that our 2004 BMW 325I was on fire. We still have not been given any specific cause for the fire, except that it was probably electrical in nature. Special agents from our insurance company were also called in, who, in turn, called in two more experts. Evidence was bagged and the car was shrink wrapped to be taken to a lot with at least three other BMW's which had also caught fire while parked. This is one of the most frightening things to ever happen to us. We are posting this hoping it can help this from happening to anyone else.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 012010

325

I received a letter from BMW ststing there was now a recall for the bad ground wire on the rear taillight assembly that caused the metling of the connector. I had already spent $400 for the fix, now they recall the part. BMW North America took too long to do this, and I am going into the delaership to see about getting a refund for the service I paid for that they would not cover.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 212011

325 6-cyl

Right side signal light intermittent failure. When it finally failed there was a scorched wire. Upon investigation found there is a tsb from the manufacturer but only in warranty. No recall.

- Higganum, CT, USA

Oct 012011

325 6-cyl

During a massive rainstorm windshield wipers, radio and central looking system stop functioning properly. Looks like general module 5 has failed.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA