2005 BMW 325 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 BMW 325:

2005 BMW 325 Owner Comments

Apr 072014

325 6-cyl

My wife parked the car in the doctors office parking lot. It was 58 degrees and raining. She left our family pet in the car. When she came out of the doctors office she saw that the car was full of smoke. The key fob would not open the locks. The doors would not open. The glass in the windows would not break under her strength even with a glass hammer that someone managed to retrieve for her. She finally remembered the key and was able to open the drivers side door. Our dog was lifeless, fire and rescue tried to revive her to no avail. The fire apparently started some where around the headlight switch or behind the vent where the cables for the door panel airbag pass. It caused the door airbag and the steering wheel airbag to deploy. The fire reached the roof panel before apparently self extinguishing due to lack of oxygen. I arrived about an hour later. Although the loss of my dog is a tragedy the really horrible part is finding that I could not open the passenger doors. The key fob will not open the locks. I climbed across the drivers seat and could not open the passenger side door from the inside. I reached back and could not open the drivers side rear door from the inside either. Is it possible that there is a defect in which passengers can not extract themselves from a burning automobile" with all of the safety features of modern automobiles was egress overlooked" I certainly hope that the NHTSA looks into this and ensures that it isn't children that are trapped in the future.

- Elizabeth City, NC, USA

Oct 292010

325 6-cyl

Faulty or inadequate ground wire which burned 8-pin connectors and bulb-holders in both rear quarter panels. Dealer installed "additional ground connection to the circuit of the lamps" at no charge on 1/19/12, but I am still fighting with corporate office in NJ for reimbursement of $271.35 incurred in replacing the other burned out parts prior to the recall in December. My research revealed that section 6(B) of the tread act requires manufactures to include funds for reimbursement of repair expenses prior to recall in a recall plan. Also, the "final rule" passed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in October 2002 states that "for those recalls where there is a reasonable possibility that some consumers will be entitled to reimbursement, the main body of the owner notification must include a concise reference to the right to reimbursement for the cost of repair or replacement, along with a description of where consumers who believe they may be entitled to such reimbursement can obtain further information about reimbursement." There was no reference to the right of reimbursement in BMW's notification letter, and two dealers (their "eyes and ears in the field, " per a corporate representatively words to me) have said they "know nothing about it" and "will get back to me, " which neither one has done. Although I may very well still get my $271.35 reimbursed (am waiting to hear), I can't help but wonder about all the other 2005 325I owners out there!

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Jun 152011

325 6-cyl

Exterior brake and tailight failure due to overheated ground terminal. NHTSA action # EA09019.

- Massapequa, NY, USA

Sep 212011

325 6-cyl

Rear left tail light and blinker not working. Wire is burned.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Nov 112011

325 6-cyl

Problem with electrical system. Left rear brake, tail and turn indicator lights would go on/off. I replaced the bulbs, but there was a loose wire someplace. If the wires/connectors were wiggled, the lights would come on until a bump in the road or I closed the trunk. I reported this to BMW and but my VIN number was not on the recall list, even though I had the same symptoms. BMW did repair the problem as a one time good will gesture. Additional VIN's may need to be added to the recall.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Mar 162011

Rear tail lamp on left and right side go out and come out intermittently. Started at 80,000 miles and has gotten much worse now at 110,000.

- Napa, CA, USA

Nov 102010

325 6-cyl

2005 BMW 320I. Tail light indicator warning came on. Turns out the wire was melted around the metal where the wire plugs into tail light!! very expensive to fix!

- Truro, 00, USA

Mar 202009

I have a 2005 BMW 325I and recently been experiencing intermittent failure of my turn signal. While I was driving on the road today it failed to operate and I was almost rear ended by a school bus full of children on the road...the bus had to slam on its breaks avoiding major catastrophe by inches. We stopped and made sure all of the children were okay and went our separate ways. I had switched the bulbs out just last week on vehicle and rechecked the tail light assembly. I discovered charred wiring and a charred wiring plug. I contacted BMW North America and they acknowledged that there is an issue regarding the design of the tail light wiring but there was no recall in place...this is outrageous and it is only a matter of time before somebody has to pay for BMW's design flaw with their life...20 children and myself almost did today. The service bulletin BMW issued on this is #630306. I ask the highway administration to investigate this matter immediately.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Feb 252006

325 6-cyl

- the contact called regarding a 2005 BMW X3 2.5I. She noticed the vehicle would start vibrating while driving at any speed, and the brakes would make an awful noise when applied. She also stated that radio/tapedeck/cd overheated when playing cds. The contact stated that the vehicle had about 12,000 miles when brake problem started. She stated that she took vehicle to dealership, and they found nothing wrong with the vehicle, but they replaced 2 electrical modules and the brake assist. The contact continued to have problems with the vehicle vibrating and brakes squeaking. The contact took the vehcile to a dealership a second time, and they rotated all four tires. The contact states that this didn't resolve the problem. She took vehicle to the dealership again on 12/08/2006 and was told that the axle shattered, and that the axle was going bad during the entire time she's was having problems with the vibrating. BMW has informed the contact that she was responsible for the repairs of the shattered axle, the vehicle was still under warranty.

- Dana Point, CA, USA

Aug 192006

325 6-cyl

The incident happened on a freeway exit ramp, near noon time in a sunny ~80 F weather. During the driving, all warning lights on the dash board suddenly started to flash, accompanied with beeping warning sound. The whole flashing and beeping lasted for about 3 seconds. The vehicle did not stall, however. After the incident, car's memory of clock time and trip odometer were lost. Made a check in local BMW dealer. The local dealer could not retrieve error code from the on board computer, and could not reproduce the symptom during the check.

- Irvine, CA, USA