2006 BMW 325 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 325:

2006 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Sep 292012

325 6-cyl

I went to pick up my daughter from marching band practice on a Saturday afternoon. When I pulled into the parking lot at her high school and got out, I went to lock the doors. I heard a strange sound and noticed that the drivers doors were locked, the passengers doors were unlocked. The key fob would not work anymore on any of the doors but would work on the trunk. I got in the front passenger door and crawled over to the driver side and tried the door and it would not open from the inside. The central lock button also would not work. I crawled out and tried the drivers side door with the key. It did unlock with the key. None of the other doors would respond from the inside. After I got the drivers side door to unlock with the key, my key fob would work on the drivers side door only. Because my kids decided to "help mom" by pushing the locks down manually - now all of the doors are locked and won't budge except the drivers side. I effectively can't use the car for anyone except myself because no one can enter - and more importantly exit from the car except for crawling over seats. This is a dangerous situation. There should be someone way to open the doors manually. Judging by the number of complaints - BMW is aware of this issue but chooses not to issue a recall.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 112011

The steering column lock was yellow, then went red and would not start. My mechanic got hit to go back to yellow, took it to BMW and they said the steering column needed to be replaced. Took the car home and to another mechanic who replaced the column, but it did not resolve the issue. Everyone tells me the case needs to be replaced.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Aug 282012

325 6-cyl

Tried to start car, put key in, pressed start button and an amber padlock icon appeared over a steering wheel icon - car won't start.

- Mckinleyville, CA, USA

Jul 222012

325 6-cyl

Power door locks failed. No way to open passenger door even with internal handle. Passenger trapped and had to crawl over to driver's seat. Would be a catastrophe in an accident.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Jul 122012

325 6-cyl

The vehicles electronic steering wheel lock mechanism has failed and vehicle will not unlock the steering wheel column nor start the vehicle with this problem in place. Hundreds of other complaints across the board with my same particular my (2006) can easily be found by a simple search on any given BMW blog/forum. This should definitely be a recall. What would happen if it had locked up while driving?? not safe at all and will certainly try everything I can to recoup the $1000+ I will be spending from BMW for the labor/repair that it will cost to have this ridiculous issue resolved.

- Independence, MO, USA

May 272012

Door locks malfunctioned and driver became locked in car. Door locks could not be disengaged inside the car with keys, internal buttons, or door handles.

- Pound Ridge, NY, USA

May 092012

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. The contact was driving with the cruise control activated at 76 mph. An abnormal noise was heard from the vehicle as the electrical components failed and the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who advised that the battery safety terminal failed. The dealer was unable to provide a cause for the failure. The manufacturer was notified who advised that they would send a representative to further inspect the vehicle. The contact was awaiting further diagnosis of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 022012

325 6-cyl

On May 2nd, during a rain storm, our 2006 BMW 3 series' windshield wipers stopped. We were able to get home safely and immediately called our service center, and made an appointment for the next day. The service center's owner/mechanic informed us, that there were 3 other 06 3 series in for the exact same problem. The invoice reads; work requested- diag wipers inop, work performed- replace jbe cont module(part# 63 21 5 897 528). A call was made to BMW, usa on May 11th and BMW does not have, to date, an open recall on the problem. This is disconcerting, since a small service center in the small town of bridgewater, MA. Had 4(including ours) 06 BMW 3 series in for the same problem, and on the same date.

- Halifax, MA, USA

May 042012

325 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 3 series. While parked, the contact attempted to open the driver"S side door using the electronic key fob but the door would not open. The contact eventually opened the front driver"S side door with the handle and was able to enter the vehicle. The same failure occurred on all other doors. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The technicians stated that the door actuators on all doors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,700. Updated 05/31/12 the doors would not open from the outside or the inside due to the failure of the actuators. A mechanical override failed and the door handles would not work. The key only worked in the driver's door.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Apr 082010

325 6-cyl

Number of deaths? none yet, but tbd for the future of this extremely unsafe condition. 2006 BMW 325I doors locks fail to open, and all interior door latches are inoperative. All doors are inoperative if one fuse (#57) fails or if the battery fails. This is a serious concern about safety. If there is a crash or fire, people can die inside the vehicle if the doors cannot be opened. When this fuse fails, interior and exterior door handles don't function. The only way to get people out of the vehicle is to remove the hidden key from the fob, open the driver's window and unlock the driver's door. That will allow the driver's door to open but none of the other doors will open. Is this allowable under NHTSA safety regulations? I can't imagine that it is. This is not an obscure occurrence either. It has happened to my car a few times and has been reported by many other people on BMW owner's forums and on NHTSA complaint forms. Links below:

- Bothell, WA, USA

Jul 112011

325 6-cyl

Water pump and thermostat both quit working at the same time. Causing absolutely no warning on the vehicle until it started overheating and smoking while driving on the highway. Could of caused a serious accident. Needed to immediately pull to shoulder. Note: Car has no oil temperature gauge.

- Macungie, PA, USA

Mar 262012

325 6-cyl

Will not start because of steering in lock position. Airbag and seat belt error (red icon) in passenger side.

- Covina, CA, USA

Sep 302011

325 6-cyl

Vehicle locks do not respond to unlock or lock command from key fob or from car unlock/lock switch. Hazardous problem, potential life risk for children.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012011

325 6-cyl

The passenger seat occupancy detection module is faulty in our car. It was officially diagnosed by a BMW dealer on 20 Feb 2012. We are being told that our car's production time falls 1 month out of the previous recall on these same parts (NHTSA action number EA080001). BMW is refusing to fix it.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Feb 132012

325 6-cyl

Door actuator has failed to work. Alarm also being effected. Known problem to manufacturer, BMW. Saftey concern if unable to exit vehicle in case of emergency.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 042011

325 6-cyl

Passenger airbag / seat belt light came on and would not go out. There were multiple NHTSA recalls (PE07-045) and (EA08-001) but my VIN falls outside of the recall because apparently I have sport seats. There are numerous complaints on various sites about this issue. Bmwna stated they won't offer to fix the issue since the vehicle was not included in the recall. Dealers charge $1000+ to fix this defect.

- Jasper, GA, USA

Oct 202011

325 6-cyl

Steering lock lamp is amber and now red. Says car will not start because steering lock mechanism could engage. Could possibly lock while driving.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Sep 132011

325 6-cyl

My passengers and I were trying to get back into my parked car, but when I used my key fob to unlock the doors only the passenger doors unlocked while the driver's door didn't. I tried to unlock the driver's door by using the lock/ unlock button located in the car. This did not work, and it locked the passenger doors again. I then tried to unlock the doors simultaneously by trying the key fob and the manual lock/ unlock button inside of the car a few more times, but none of the doors unlocked this time. We all heard the car attempting to lock and unlock, but the locks were not moving. I wasn't able to unlock any of the doors with the key fob or with the door lock/ unlock button inside the car, (the passengers were already in the car) so I used the emergency cut-out key located inside of the key fob to manually open the driver's door to get in. When I stopped to get gas on the same night, I found out that the gas cap was also locked, so we left. When we arrived back at my residence, everyone climbed out of the driver's seat. Finally, this morning after I manually unlocked the car with the emergency key, I noticed that the seat memory was also unresponsive. With less than 1/8 of a tank left, I will have to tow the car to the dealership because it will not make it on the gas left in the tank. This is a serious issue because if we were to have gotten in any type of accident or were in some unforeseen trouble while in the car with only seconds to react and get out of the car, it would have most likely ended up in multiple fatalities because of the inability to get out of the vehicle in a hasty manner. Please investigate and recall this issue before something like this does happen during and/ or after a car accident and people die because they are trapped in a car due to the electrical/ lock malfunction. Thank you.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Apr 232011

I drive a 2006 BMW 325I. Parked my car and got out just fine however my 3 passengers were unable to open there doors. The central unlocking button on the car's dash wouldn't unlock the doors and the keyless entry button wouldn't unlock the door either. All the passengers had to climb out the windows. After doing some quick research this appears to be a common problem in the 3 series however it's a problem that BMW refuses to fix unless the car is still under warranty. Having passengers become unexpectedly trapped inside their car due to a common defect is major safety issue and it's a problem BMW should be forced to fix regardless of whether the car is still under warranty.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Apr 022011

325 6-cyl

Central door locking system failed preventing any of the 4 doors and fuel door from opening. Passengers couldn't open their doors and had to crawl up front to exit through the drivers door. There was no other way for them to exit the car, the doors were completely inoperable. Replaced 15A fuse with 20A fuse as recommended by BMW dealer which worked for a couple of weeks. Problem resurfaced so I inspected the fuse previously replaced to discover it was blown again. Now all power door locks work except front passenger. This issue really needs to be investigated soon. When there is a door unlocking failure, which according to many pages of complaints online is a very common occurrence with these cars, there is absolutely no way for passengers to exit - especially if they needed to exit quickly. It's very dangerous.

- Tigard, OR, USA