2006 BMW 325 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 325:

2006 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jun 252016

325

First time I noticed the elv steering wheel lock malfunction. I just parked my car, turned off engine, and took out the key fob. I noticed on the instrument cluster a picture of a steering wheel and a pad lock. So I put the key fob back in the slot and the car wouldn't start. Then trying couple times taking out & putting the key fob in the ignition slot and turning the wheel left and right, the car finally started.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

May 222016

325

Electronic steering wheel lock malfunctions without notice and renders the car incapable of starting. A yellow steering wheel icon (or red in some instances) appears in the informational panel on the dashboard. The accompanying error code is cc-id 187. This condition when it occurs, will not energize (disables) the ignition system and prevents the car from being started. Drivers will become stranded wherever they happen to be once the car is turned off as the error notification appears only when the car is switched off or back on. There are literally hundreds of similar and identical cases on the internet when performing a google search on this issue.

- Mt Arlington, NJ, USA

Apr 252016

325

Steering wheel light comes on vehicle does not start steering wheel locks I hear from a forum that this is a serious issue can be a reason for a fatal accident.

- Humble, TX, USA

Apr 252016

325

Steering wheel lock light is on engine does not start steering wheel does not move is lock

- Humble, TX, USA

Feb 102016

Electric steering lock.

- Napa, CA, USA

Feb 262015

325

Steering wheel lock has malfunctioned rendering the car unstartable..car was parked with wheels facing strait ahead and upon restart the lock malfunctioned and has been stuck in the lock position.

- Bloomfield, NY, USA

Nov 182015

325

Belt tensioner bolt broke off causing serpentine belt to slip off causing engine to fail. Car was being driven when car started to lose power and power steering stopped working. I have no documentation yet because car has just been diagnosed and is in repair shop now. I found online that this has happened to others as well.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Nov 102015

325

Steering engine light warning. Started with a small red light when turning car off. The flash of red was so quick could not tell what symbol it was. This then turned into yellow warning with written description in navigation/computer display. Steering engine lock. Turn steering wheel left and right. Do not turn car off will not restart. Took car in twice not anything showing error or problem. Called BMW N. America had no idea what this illuminated symbol meant, connected me to a local dealership and they had no idea. Towed to dealer where I purchased the car (I have been the only owner and driver). Car has 44950 miles. Dealer called today and said steering column needs to be replaced. The yellow illumination stayed on when car was stationary, in motion and turning while on city streets and highway. Red illumination car was stationary.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 252015

325

Steering wheel lock prevents the starter from working. This prevents the engine from starting. I will have to replace the steering column which will cost over one thousands dollars. BMW has not issued a recall for this problem

- Jackson, MS, USA

Oct 062015

325

After work yesterday when I tried to start my car, the yellow locked steering light came on and the car would not start. After I jerked on the steering wheel, the light went off and the car started. While on my way home, on the highway, the steering locked again and the red light came on. I was going about 75 mph at this time. I hit the clutch and brakes and jerked the wheel again causing it to release. Luckily it was not rush hour. It has been parked ever since. It has 114K miles.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Apr 272015

325

I was unable to start vehicle because the steering wheel was locked, there was an amber steering wheel symbol being displayed. After searching for answers, I found that this is a common problem many drivers have had. This problem needs to be fixed as it is not easily detectable and can happen unexpectedly.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Feb 272015

325

My vehicle is in storage for the winter I start it once a week then recently it just stop working and a steering wheel lock appeared on the dashboard I research it and thousands of people who have a BMW 325I had the same issue. I feel BMW should repair this manufacturing defect.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Nov 252014

325

Vehicle had a yellow steering wheel and lock display on the dash when I tried to start my car. After multiple attempt to start the car in every possibly way, it still did not start. Put key in, pulled it out multiple times; locked car, unlocked car; wiggled steering wheel while trying to start the car (push start). Noticed when key is pushed into key hole, it latches, but does not give any electrical power to the car, or release the steering wheel. Steering wheel was locked. Car has no power to other functions in car. Car can't be shifted into neutral to move car. The car is pretty much unusable.

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Sep 092014

325 6-cyl

I only have 65K miles on my BMW 325I 2006 it and mostly driven on highways. A few days back my BMW wouldn't start without any rhyme or reason. It had a red steering wheel warning light on and the car wouldn't start at all. The book didn't have any instructions either but to take the car to dealerships. I called the dealership and they were also helpless and had no idea. I had to tow my car to the dealership. Ultimately dealership informed me that there was some manufacturing issue and the whole steering column need to be replaced. This sounded crazy as my car has never been with any accident. I don't understand why a car with only 65K miles needs a whole steering column replaced. It cost me ~$1500 to replace the steering column. On searching google it looks like a lot of customers have the same manufacturing issue where the steering wheel would jam and customers need to replace the whole steering column. I emailed and called the BMW service and they refused to take any action and told me to file a complaint with NHTSA if I wish to do so. This is definitely a manufacturing defect where the car would not even start until the whole steering column is replaced. Please tell BMW to own the manufacturing issue and stop cheating naive customers.

- Vienna, VI, USA

Jul 072014

325 6-cyl

I just came back from a long family vacations, I was driving this vehicle all over the states! I was so lucky! this happen to me when I got home, my 2006 BMW 330I which had a steering column malfunction and failure. Malfunction of integral lock sensor in steering column necessitates replacement of entire steering column, it is a safety problem and should be covered by a BMW customer satisfaction campaign. But is not!!! the warning indicator in the instrument panel showed an icon of a steering wheel and a lock and the vehicle failed to start, I had to have the car towed to the dealership. I contacted BMW customer service, explained my problem and was told they couldn't do anything to cover this very common quality problem and would not be covered under a manufacturers customer satisfaction campaign. On the NHTSA website, there are many cases reported that there is a problem! and that's why! I am reporting this incident to NHTSA in hopes that BMW will do something for other owners as the repair bill was $1000 and should have been covered by BMW. All I think about is! if this problem happened to me while I was driving with all my family on my car! I think I got so lucky! look at; service bulletins. Youll see! service bulletin no.: sib-32-04-07 component(s): Steering BMW: A new technical process has been created for BMW to identify causes of steering complaints with a wide range of models. ((((so! they know! about this!!!)))) make this a recall! before! this gets lock wile some one is driving and gets hurt!!!!

- Centerville, OH, USA

Feb 082012

325 6-cyl

I own a 2006 BMW 330xi. I'm having problems with the steering column lock which prevents the car from starting. The problem starts with a yellow warning light that indicates the steering column is locked. The starting problem is constant. We are concerned we may get stranded or as some have reported the steering may lock with little or no warning. From what I can find on the internet it appears BMW is aware of the problem. Comments are bad steering column. The problem started in Feb. Of 2012 when the car only had 9000 miles and my extended warranty had just expired. The car now has 11000 miles.the dealer has not been able to help and suggested on several occasions that I contact BMW direct. The problem appears to be common from the comments posted on line by BMW owners of 2006 on. I recently contacted BMW and they suggested I have the dealership perform a diagnostic test.the test result was defective steering column.the fee for this test was $145.91. The estimate they provided to replace the steering column is $1,467.86 plus diagnostic fee of $145.91. Total cost $1,613.77. Your investigation will show the defective steering column is a common problem. As the problem persist the safety concerns become greater. Is a recall coming as this is serious highway safety concern?

- Pleasant Valley, NY, USA

Mar 132014

325

Just had car serviced and looked over on week later steering wheel lock came on when I used it day before. Had no warning, woke up in the morning to go to work and steering wheel lock symbol came up and car will not start.

- Fernley, NV, USA

May 022013

325

I woke up one morning to start my vehicle and as I started my engine I received a warning sign. The warning sign indicated a circle with an exclamation point. I then noticed my car was not able to shift gears, leaving my car in park. I took it to the dealer to have my car diagnosed and they mentioned that my steering column needs to be replaced. After a week I went to get my car from the dealer I was not able to afford the repairs that needed to be done. I then took this issue up with my dealer and warranty where they was not able to assist me with this issue. I kept getting a run around and the general manager where I got my at from tried to help. His assistance with my car failed. He couldn't diagnose the problem that my car was given. He then returned my car and my car still has this issue. I had my car for only a month when this issue occurred.

- Richfield, MN, USA

Sep 112013

325

Received yellow steering wheel and lock icon when trying to start the car. Attempted using different keys, but the car would not start and the steering wheel remained immobile. I exited the car and waited about 30 minutes to try again, but received yellow steering wheel with lock icon again when putting the key fob into the vehicle. When I called the dealership, I was quoted about $1200 as soon as I described the yellow steering wheel and lock, without them having seen the vehicle. The sa also mentioned that the newer models don't even have this feature at all. I was also advised that it is not a BMW responsibility or defect, and that I would be responsible for all shop repairs and time. Doing research about this issue, I found this is a very well documented and known issue. This seems to be due to poor design by the auto manufacturer, so much so that the "feature" isn't even included on newer models of the vehicle at all.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 062013

325

Steering wheel lock indicator renders the vehicle not able to start. BMW says the only solution is a replacement of steering column. The steering column was replaced at 25000 miles. 2 years later at 49000 miles, the vehicle will need to do it again. This will be the 3rd set of steering column within the last 7 years. It is cleanly a design and defect. It should be recall.

- Fishkill, NY, USA