2007 BMW 328 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW 328:

2007 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Sep 042016

I was on a well-paved road, approaching a highway on-ramp, travelling straight at about 40mph, and my sunroof spontaneously exploded. I had been on the road maybe 5 minutes, it was sunny and approximately 80 degrees out, there was no sudden change in temperature and there was no impact from flying debris, pot holes, other vehicles etc. Both my sunroof and visor were both closed at the time. I heard an extremely loud bang, similar to a gunshot but not as loud, I checked my mirrors and didn't see anything. I then opened the visor to my sunroof and glass rained down. I immediately closed my visor and proceeded to a safe section of the road where I cull pull off and inspect the exterior of my car. From the exterior, it looked like an explosion had occurred inside the vehicle as the glass was angled up and out, was completely shattered and had several large pieces missing. I filed a report with BMW as soon as the offices reopened and am waiting on further information. From what I can see, this is not the first instance of this occurring with BMW vehicles.

- Denver, CO, USA

Oct 022015

The drivers side back door will not open. Thankfully, it was realized in a non-emergency situation. After research it seems that this issue is popular among this year on this car.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jun 082015

Driving at approximately 30mph passing vehicle allerted me of fire and smoke coming from my rear. As I slowed down flames and smoke increased. Smoke filled interior upon my exiting. Rear fire co0ntinued to burn until fire department. Dooused car with water. Police report taken. Car taken to repair shop and declared to expensive to repair.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 122013

The door locks on the front passenger and rear drivers side doors would not unlock and passengers had to climb out of the opposite sides of the vehicle.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Aug 282014

328 6-cyl

Door locks would not open leaving me locked out of the car and stranded. Had to have the car towed 300 miles to get it back home where a BMW repair place was available. Had to replace both front door actuators at a cost of $600 just to get back inside my car. If a baby was trapped in the car it could of died by the time it was to get anyone to help get the doors open. The most dangerous design I've ever heard of. Interior door handles will not work and no way to get out of the car if it happened while I was inside.

- Cottage Grove, OR, USA

Aug 252014

Hi, I think, this is a safety issue that BMW has to fix. My automatic car lock gets stuck and I can only open driver's side door and passenger side door doesn't open. The manual lever that is supposed to open the passenger side door and back door doesn't open the door. My wife and kids were stuck and some how manually they crawled out of the driver's side. It was very stressful and I was wondering if my son was 20yrs old, how can he come through the driver's side from the back seat. BMW is well aware of this issue and has not recalled the cars to fix the manual override when the automatic door opener doesn't work.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Apr 012014

Locked in car due to failed door locks. Opened window to access manual door key but passenger crawled over to drivers side since this was the only way out.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Jun 112013

328 6-cyl

Doors will not unlock using the key fob or central locking button. Locked doors will not open from interior of vehicle, no way to unlock the rear doors and front passenger door when they are locked. Only way to exit vehicle is through driver's door if manually unlocked with key. Passenger doors will not open and gas door will not open.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Feb 062013

328 6-cyl

On February 6, 2013, at around 7am, I was driving South on the taconic state parkway near pleasantville, NY on my way to work. My electrical systems suddenly started to fail, and I heard a crackling noise from the backseat. I looked in my rear-view mirror and I saw flames in the backseat. I pulled over on the right shoulder right before the pleasantville exit. I struggled to exit my car because the seatbelt was stuck as the entire backseat of my car was engulfed with me inside. After it finally released, I exited the burning car in a daze. A good samaritan stopped to help me, whose name and contact information can be provided. She put me in her car and we each called 911. A nys trooper created a police report, which can be provided. As we waited for firemen, the car was engulfed in flames and blew up twice. One of my co-workers stopped to help me and witnessed the car blow up. I have pictures showing the car completely engulfed and the entire car charred and unrecognizable after the fire was extinguished. I am now aware that, after the incident took place, BMW issued its largest recall ever in the U.S. of approximately 504K vehicles, including the same year, make and model as my car. The recall stems from a faulty battery connection. Importantly, the battery and the battery connection for bmws are in the trunk, which is where I believe the fire started in my car. As a result of numerous complaints and case studies, BMW had been aware of this battery-related defect on my car since 2010. I'm also aware that BMW has recalled other BMW models for a very similar battery issue that resulted in charring or fires in the bmws. The car is currently being held by traveler's insurance company and is available for your immediate inspection.

- Mohegan Lake, NY, USA

Aug 262011

My door locks failed to unlock (with both the remote entry and the door lock switch located in the car) with the exception of the driver side door using the manual key turn. This was repaired by replacing the door lock actuators, under warranty.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 012011

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328I. The contact stated that the keyless entry function failed to operate when he attempted to unlock the vehicle. The failure affected the front and rear passenger doors disallowing him to enter the vehicle. The dealer replaced the actuator and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure however, did not offer any assistance. The current and failure mileages were 24,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 102010

I was driving on the motorway and cleaned my windscreen when a piece of my vehicle fell off and became potentially a dangerous projectile. The failure is due to the screen wash jet cover and jet attached to it coming separated from the vehicle. BMW state that this can come off due to ice forming on the washer jets, so can occur at any time when temperatures are below freezing. The consequences are the cover and jet become separated from the vehicle potentially causing other vehicles to swerve, item acts as a projectile so could damage/crack a windscreen or potentially burst a tire if contact is made. To correct the failure the part needed to be replaced. Old part is not available due to coming off vehicle whilst on the motorway.

- Ilkeston, 00, USA