2007 BMW 328 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW 328:

2007 BMW 328 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 152014

328 6-cyl

2007 BMW 328 xi with 67K miles on it, first the car wouldn't go in reverse then a few day later while driving on the autobahn the car stopped working. The engine stayed on but I was unable to get any power. Had the car towed over 150 miles back to my house only to find that I need a new transmission. I have called BMW and am waitng on a call back to see what they will cover. I have read a ton of compalints online about this issue, there was also a law suit filed back in 2008 against BMW for 2000-2006 models having bad transmission. If BMW doesnt resolve this issue in a timely manner, I will also take them to court!!

- Apo, AE, USA

Oct 282014

328

I was parked, placed my car in reverse and immediately all of my dashboard lights were activated (4X4 malfunction, ABS brake failure, transmission malfunction) then my car lost power. There is a known issue with the set positioning motor failing on these vehicles. The BMW dealer part # is 27 10 7 546 671. There is an internal gear, with in the set positioning motor, made out of plastic that wears prematurely. This is a known issue with BMW's and it should be recalled. My vehicle become disabled with out warning, leaving me stranded which may have caused an accident.

- Warminster, PA, USA

Jul 262014

328

Engine mount bolts: Was driving our car yesterday and went over some train tracks. They were bumpy but not jarring or excessive. Right after that a strong vibration started going through the car. I took the car home and found the four bolts holding the motor mount bracket to the engine block had all sheared or fallen out. The engine is now sitting at an angle.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Jun 182014

328 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328I. The contact stated that the air bag sensor was not functioning properly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the mat sensor system needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V564000 (air bags). The approximate failure mileage was 50,000....updated 09-05-14 updated 12/18/2014

- Cranbury, NJ, USA

May 072014

328 6-cyl

Battery sparks third. Time replacing, something clicks in the fuse box now the car won't. start.

- Moreno Valley , CA, USA

May 012014

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328 I. the contact stated while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and the service engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to two different independent mechanics who were not able to duplicate the problem. The third time the failure occurred, the vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated the failure was due to a defective eccentric shaft sensor which needed to be replaced. The contact was made aware of a recall under NHTSA campaign id number 13V044000 (electrical system), however, her VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 106,745. The VIN was not available.

- Reynoldsvurg, OH, USA

May 262014

328 6-cyl

The engine stalled at a low speed coming to a stop. This is the second time this has happened over the past week.

- Cayce , SC, USA

May 142014

328 6-cyl

I was driving on the palmetto express way and the car suddenly stall I was doing about 50 miles/hour, antifreeze was coming out of the overkill tank, this is the third time it happen and always on the highway, which is very danger.

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 242014

328 6-cyl

I am an owner of a 2007 BMW 328xi. Two months ago, I brought my car to a BMW dealership for check engine light issue. They told me that cylinder 6 was the problem. So they fixed cylinder 6 and replaced all spark plugs. On 24-Apr-2014, my wife drove the car to work and came home. That evening she took the kids to an event at their school and parked the car. After the event, she tried backing the car and the car won't go into reverse. So, I dropped the car off to the dealer ship and after they completed their dagnostic test, they told me that I have transmission problem which will cost $6000 to fix.

- Downingtown , PA, USA

Feb 192014

328 6-cyl

When I start my car it wants to turn off. BMW issued a recall I took it in to fix it but problem still happening. Then my car has 63000 miles and it kicks a lot in first gear. For low miles that should not be happening.

- Colton, CA, USA

Mar 172014

328

Owner of 2007 BMW 328I, start my car in the morning, but the car won't start it, it no sound when I try to start the car. But the window, locks and radio are all working well. Try to jump the battery, it nothing wrong with the battery. Need tow my car to the dealership, over one days already, still waiting the reply from the dealer.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

May 152013

328 6-cyl

At 65 mph on freeway, suddenly lost power. Vehicle immediately slowed to about 10 mph as I pulled off the freeway. Cars behind nearly ran me over. Drove slowly to BMW service who diagnosed "water pump short to ground" causing veh to lose power.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 312013

328 6-cyl

I have had numerous problems with over heating. Every time I have taken it to the dealer for this problem they have found multiple leaks and the manifold cracked (not diagnosed in one visit these were found after multiple visits). It still does it and now they claim they cannot find anything. They want proof that this is actually happening so I am going to film it when it happens to me again. The incident that happened on 12/31/13, I was driving on a road to get to a resort, this road was not elevated in anyway it was level. It happens every month or so.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Feb 122014

328 6-cyl

The car has a serious oil leak at the head gasket. This has been a very well maintained car, with all services being completed in a timely manner, and just regular commuting in mild traffic and mild weather. The oil leak is occurring due to a manufacturing defect -- there is no serviceable portion due to which this leak could have happened. As the car keeps leaking oil, it is creating a potential fire hazard.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Oct 022013

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328I. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 74,000.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Aug 222013

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328xi. The contact stated while having an oil change performed at a local mechanic, the mechanic notice the head bolts to the engine were fractured. The mechanic advised the contact that the vehicle was not safe to drive. The mechanic replaced the head bolts. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The manufacturer stated that there was nothing they could do to assist. The failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available.

- West Feild, NJ, USA

Apr 152013

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328xi. The contact stated while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine light was illuminated on three occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated there was a leak in the engine. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Germantown , MD, USA

Aug 312013

328 6-cyl

On August 31st, I was driving on the freeway in the number 2 lane at 70 mph when the temperature overheat light came on and I experienced an immediate loss of power and was forced to navigate the vehicle across several busy lanes to the shoulder. I allowed the vehicle to cool down, added some water and I attempted to drive the vehicle to the closest dealer 5 miles away. Upon entering the freeway again the vehicle immediately experienced the same symptoms and I was forced to tow the vehicle to the local dealership. I was told on September 3rd, the electric water pump had failed. The BMW dealership quoted $1332 to repair. Upon further research it is apparent that this is a common issue with the BMW's right after the vehicle falls outside of warranty. This loss of power is a serious safety issue as this incident occurred without warning and at high speed with heavy traffic. Due to the nature of this loss of power and the common occurrence I would recommend a recall or an extended warranty to be issued for this known problem.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 212012

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328I. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to two different dealers for diagnosis but no cause for failure was found. The manufacturer was notified was notified of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 65,000.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

Mar 012013

328

Car has horrible lifter ticking noise. Started around 58K miles, now up to 61K. BMW knows about this issue and have even went as far as issuing a new (revision in 2009) service bulletin and redesigning the head and lifters. They don't want to issue a recall notice for their own design flaw because of the cost associated with replacing these parts. I change the oil every 3K miles and have been noticing ferrous metal flakes in the filter caused by the lifters being starved of oil due to the oil ports in the head being too small to allow adequate oil flow to them. One would expect a BMW to last a little bit longer than 60K miles before any issues like this arise.

- Edgewood, WA, USA