2007 BMW 328 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW 328:

2007 BMW 328 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 292011

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328I. While the vehicle was stopped at a red light, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the water pump failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Also, while starting the vehicle, the battery became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Newark, CA, USA

Jul 162016

328

7/1/16 I previously submitted a form & combined all complaints at once, the first issue I have had was rite after I purchased the vehicle from a dealer on 7/1/16 and 2 hours at 45mph on North view drive jackson, ms approaching the stop sign the car mad a loud noise as if it was a busted air conditioner, no ac on, the car stalled after the approach of the intersection and then check engine light came on the dash, the steering was hard and the car rocked a bit like it was the air conditioner. I had to put the car in park and restart in the middle of traffic but, it did restart. Called the dealer and issue was resolved I thought, the car had been driven 3 days prior to traveling Florida and it was running ok in 35mph zones with the air on and a few moments on the highway with no problems. 7/10 mobile, al I-59S same issue happened as I approached and stay at a light in a 45mph zone, the only difference was no lights on the dash and no laugh noise. 7/16/16 jacksonville, fl beach blvd. Same issue after consistinatly being in a 45 mph zone for 25 min and approaching the signal light, once at a complete stop vehicle again powered off, no issues on the dash and once car was put in park it restored but started with the same loud noise from the two previous times. This vehicle has had a recall on issues like this in the past and the vehicle is unsafe, I am scared of accidents due to this issue and the vehicle is undriveable and unsafe.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 162016

328

Vehicle is loosing power between 45-55 miles and steering wheels becomes hard to turn on 7/1/16 jackson, ms on northview drive, same problem 7/10/17 mobile, al and 7/16/16 beach blvd. Jacksonville, fl and once breaking at a stop (redlight or stop sign) it shuts down in traffic. Car must be put in park and cranked to restart. Issue unknown and the vehicle is unsafe and will not stay on in big conjestions of traffic, I am scared of a crash. There are already recalls on this issue from the national data base.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 182016

328

Vehicle intermittently and unexpected shuts down while driving. Cruising about 50 mph when check engine light came on and rpms drop to 0 requiring vehicle to be pulled over and restarted.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Dec 102013

328

I was informed by a BMW representative that dealerships were told that all the ignition coils would fail around the same time. So if one failed in one cylinder, expect the rest to need replacement or else they will all fail soon after. This is a catastrophic mechanical failure that if left unnoticed would mean the end of the car. There should be a recall fix this known mechanical failure.

- Washington, DC, USA

May 102015

328

I purchased the car from an independent dealer with somewhere around 60K or 65K miles it now has around 80K miles and since the car has been purchased it has had one problem after the next. The electrical for the windows, mirrors, door locks, gps system, head lights were not working properly. I received a fault warning that the outside running lights or headlights were not operating properly. I have noticed the check engine light on and took it to have it looked at which I was told obd code reads misfire #2 ignition coil. I had the parts replaced and codes cleared and still the light came back on reading the same fault code had it checked again and was told it is a new part and it has been replaced and he cannot figure why it would come back the same thing. The only explanation he had for me is there is an electrical problem or there is something wrong with the obd computer. Since then the car has had trouble cranking, stutters on take off, stalls at stop lights, I have had a loss of power immediately while on getting on the free way and the car said reduced engine power shut down and would not let me get over speeds of 20. I have smelt fuel when the ac was turned on. Has been numerous things one after the other. I was looking at numerous recalls for the electrical, the fuel pump, the lights, and now the air bags.and seat belt tensioners. I would like to find out if the car was ever brought in to be fixed from the recalls, or if the recalls expire. Cause I have not owned vehicle very long

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Feb 032015

328

For two years my seatbelt sensor pad in the passengers side has been broken. The cost is $1400. I took it to the dealer only for them to say they don't see a recall on my car. I looked it up here and the same result. I research recalls on the 3 series 328xi on the internet and I see a seat sensor pad recall on some cars. What I don't understand is if it's the same sensor pad and/or same malfunction. Why is it only a fraction of the models" also it's unfair for you guys to make mistake with this information. By the time you have corrected the issue I will have died or paid for every defect out of my own pockets. Remember BMW is a business I am not. The new issues is something that I have never had happen in 20 years of driving. I hit an average size pothole and my suspension locked-up then later something snapped. It was the rear wheel drivers side. Its still in the shop but someone needs to look into the safety of all the vehicles and issue free repair or refund, asap. Also an issue with the fan but I a M running out of characters. To me it seems like most of the issue that you try to isolate by model are actual issues across all models and we need a solution. Better fix the issue now or later have someone's wheel come off on the highway. Or what if the air bag just never release" its your fault and BMW. You people sit on this information for years. They should be forced to come to my house and fix this sh*t!!!! or write me a check!!!!

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Jan 302016

328

Red electric steering wheel lock icon on screen and car will not start or turn over. Radio works and everything else but car will not start. When battery died, and I charged it full, then went to start the car and this red electric steering wheel lock came on. Had to get car serviced

- Export, PA, USA

Jan 062016

328

Left work at 4:30pm on 01/06/2016, as we turned out of parking lot my 2007 BMW 328I just died in mid traffic. This occurence happened twice before but stalled multiple time on way back home. On the 6th of Jan, the car began to overheat and burning of battery smell. Car was towed as id codes were checked and all signs have pointed to system failure. Upon further review, 6 open recalls was researched using multiple VIN report sites paid and free including bmwusa.com/safety recall. We were then told to contact the BMW consumer and we were told that if there is no warranty due to past milage, recalls were not obligated by BMW consumer. I have already contacted fabbrini law office here in Chicago regarding our federal rights in being in a safe car. How many links do we need to post in which stalling and electrical problems have been noted on bmws own company website. We simply ask that BMW consumer llc listen to this complaint like the many others who are being put in unsafe vehicles and we ask that you apply your three prong rule regarding safety hazards such as these that warrant a refund with deappreciation added, replacement of vehicle or simply repair the recalls that have been noted in the last decade affecting more than millions who are loyal to your product. We intially had a 2005 BMW 325I that had recalls and we were not helped then and traded vehicles for yet another BMW with the hopes of better luck.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Dec 122015

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328I. The contact stated that after the vehicle was in the park position, the steering lock system failed to activate. In addition, the contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle began to smoke from under the hood of the vehicle. After the vehicle was parked, the contact discovered that the smoke was coming from the crank shaft. The contact also mentioned that the serpentine belt fractured causing the vehicle to stall. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering lock failed and that the steering lock module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was partially repaired due to the dealer not being granted approval for the repairs to be performed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Dec 012013

328

A car with 118K miles that has had numerous oil leaks around the valve cover and oil filter housing. It has been leaking oil for the last 50K miles. I've already replaced the "plastic" valve cover and filter housing each. Now the plastic valve cover is cracked. I'm waiting for it to catch on fire. Every BMW blog has numerous examples this issue. I've owned 10 cars over the past 30 years and all of them added together haven't leaked oil as much as this poorly designed engineered vehicle. It is baffling to me that the plastic valve cover ($500 plus $700 labor) hasn't been recalled. Additionally, the side view mirrors move all by themselves. They are electrically possesed. I've disconnected the wires because it is crazy to have the mirrors move while driving (can't be put back without stopping/pulling over and manually putting the mirror back. Again, every blog on this model is filled with this issue. How is there not a recall on these issues. I would rather have an air bag that doesn't work than a moving oil dispenser with possessed side view mirrors.

- Painesville, OH, USA

Sep 212015

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328xi. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning indicator illuminated soon after. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Sep 172015

328

Battery died. Jumpstarted, drove for a bit. Turned off, turned back on drove home. Parked the car. Tried to restart and the red electronic steering wheel lock indicator was on. Plenty of juice in the battery, car will not even attempt to turn over. Can not get into neutral to tow out. Car is dead where it sits because of the electronic steering lock. Thank goodness we weren't in the middle of nowhere.

- Carmel, CA, USA

Jun 262015

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328I. While driving 70 mph, the instrument panel warning indicators illuminated and the windshield wipers started to activate independently. The contact also stated that the ignition had difficulty switching into the on position. The contact also stated that the door locks would also work independently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jan 082015

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328I. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The battery and starter were replaced, but the contact was also informed that the fan for the motor needed to be replaced. The dealer informed the contact of NHTSA campaign number: 12E029000 (engine and engine cooling), but the vehicle was not included. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Feb 212015

328 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328xi. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number:13V044000 ( electrical system) however, the remedy was performed but shortly after the contact stated that while driving at 5 mph, the vehicle jerked forward and stalled. The check engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was able to restart and was driven to the dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 4/6/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired at a cost of $1400. The consumer stated the vehicle lurched forward and then stalled. The vehicle would not re-start. Updated 06/04/15

- Chatham, NJ, USA

Feb 092015

328 6-cyl

Had the valve cover replaced and mechanic says it will need a engine the car only had 81000 miles bought it with 60000 miles on it only had it 2 years.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Jan 012015

328 6-cyl

Oil leaking from bolts from head defected wondering if is recall about this, burn smell from engine, worry can cause fire to my car or an accident when im driving.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 062014

328

Water pump failure leaving us stranded on the side of the road 200 miles from home. No repair shops anywhere near. No signs of trouble at all and no way of telling what the temperature of the coolant got to.

- Cottage Grove, OR, USA

Dec 012014

328 6-cyl

Burning smell in cabin. Changed cabin air filter without any improvement. Dealer. Oil from valve cover gasket leakage is an issue in this model. Did internet research. Apparently not uncommon at all to have this problem. This is a health hazard-smoke inhalation and also a fire hazard. I contacted BMW corporate office and was told this can happen. No further information given.

- Pittsford, NY, USA