2007 BMW 328 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW 328:

2007 BMW 328 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Dec 292014

328 6-cyl

Yellow warning light indicated wheel is locked; car will not start. This has happened multiple times. Whereas it did not affect my driving, it affected driveability. Have been far from home late in the day -work related. Dealership said this is a common problem. What if wheel locks while driving? shame on BMW.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 102015

328

Steering wheel is locked and can't start the vehicle. I see now that I'm not the only one to deal with this now.

- South Ogden, UT, USA

Feb 132015

328 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock mechanism. Its been reported by thousands of owners but BMW doesn't issue a recall but will replace and repair for $1500.

- Flowery Branch, GA, USA

Jan 162013

328 6-cyl

Vehicle has a constant steering wheel lock warning. The steering wheel does not actually lock, but the warning is constant. Dealer has stated that the only remedy is to replace the steering wheel column.

- Wilmette, IL, USA

Jul 242014

328 6-cyl

Steering column lock failed and stranded consumer. This is a well known issue in the 2007 328xi and the manufacturer has done nothing other than force the consumer to make expensive repair/replacement of an obvious manufacturing/engineering flaw.

- Thetford Center, VT, USA

Jun 032014

328 6-cyl

Everything was fine. I hadn't noticed any changes except the cruise control would shut off by itself. Then I needed a jump and it took right away. The next time I needed a jump it wouldn't take. Took the battery to autozone and had it checked and it was fine. So realized it wasn't the battery. Id try to start the car but nothing happens not even a clicking noise nothing. But the lights still came on windows still rolled down radio even worked it just wouldn't start.

- Seminole, OK, USA

Apr 102012

328 6-cyl

Red warning light steering problem stop car immediately. BMW and internet states this was common problem $1800+ to fix I had extended warranty but it still cost me approx $600.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Nov 162013

328 6-cyl

Passenger airbag seat pad does not detect. Steering wheel lock fault both these problems have been recalled on other vehicles of same models same year but not mine. Both problems have occurred on my vehicle and I refuse to pay to get it fixed when others get there covered with a recall.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Feb 132014

328 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock sign keeps appearing and locking me out of the car. This has happened 4 times in the last two weeks and has left me stranded every time and 3 of the times a tow truck was unable to reach my car to tow it. I have had it at the dealer for a week now and the sign has not popped up for them so they say they can not do anything. When I dropped off the car to them after being stuck for 45 min, as soon as I parked it at BMW the service woman tried to go into it and start it and it showed the sign. The service team has been unable to diagnose the problem. So I am pick up the car today with nothing that has been done to it and it will most likely happen again in the next couple of days since it will be driven normally.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Jan 252014

328 6-cyl

I had just exited off of the freeway and was making a left turn at a light when the steering "locked up". I couldn't get the car to steer and the "service engine soon" light came on. Luckily, the car "coast" to the side of this non-busy road. I turned the car off and restarted and everything was back to normal. I was also able to drive back home without any issues a couple of hours later. However, this incident has me and my family freaked out as we frequently travel with our children. I cannot imagine the consequences if this lock up were to happen on a freeway at speeds in excess of 60mph. I have seen several folks complain of this issue and am afraid it may resurface anytime without warning. I'll have my car taken to a service shop near my home and have them diagnose, but having read so many complaints it appears to be along similar lines of the steering column issue. Has BMW owned up to this and are they issuing a recall?

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 152014

328 6-cyl

I was driving my 328I with 48K miles and the electronic steering wheel lock icon came up on the dash panel. It kept giving the warning that the steering wheel will lock and if I turn the car off and I won't be able to start it. I drove it home and when I turned the car off, I was able to crank it back up and had no problem with steering in test drive. Dealer told me that I need to replace the column because it could actually lock. This would be disastrous on a freeway in southern cal where I live. This is a defect in the BMW 328I models because I am reading other online posts stating the steering did lock. I am filing this complaint, hoping that any subsequent investigation by the NHTSA will see this is a real safety issue and BMW knows there is a problem that could result in a serious accident yet they won't issue a recall.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 242013

328

The car fortunately was not in motion however the steering column lock is not allowing the steering wheel to move as well as preventing the car to start. It seems to be a common inherent problem with BMW. In which costs the consumer ~$1800 to fix even though it's a most likely a software issue and not a parts issue. I have found numerous similar complaints online.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Nov 272013

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328xi. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the electronic steering lock (elv) in the steering column malfunctioned and the steering component needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 46,000.

- Princeton Junction, NJ, USA

Jul 012013

328

Steering wheel lock displayed on car dash board. It will not start and car had to be towed to dealership. I have found several complaints of this same issue online. BMW needs to pay for this issue I will never buy another BMW the rest of my life. Please check into this.

- Madison , MS, USA

May 212013

328 6-cyl

Steering wheel locked wile driving - very similar to NHTSA case # 10194169. My daughter was turning right into a parking lot when she noticed that the steering wheel came to a hard stop. When she realized that she would not make the turn, she tried to turn it back to the left but it immediately locked hard in place. She pulled forward in the direction of travel and was able to stop in the grass on the side of the road. After she stopped she noticed that the "service engine soon" warning message was illuminated. She then turned the car off and back on and everything worked normally and she was able to drive the car about a mile to the house. We had it towed to the local BMW dealer - the dealer kept the car for 3 days where they reviewed fault codes (found none), tried to duplicate the problem (could not duplicate), and took the steering column apart (but found no problem). The dealer did implement NHTSA campaign number 13V044000, but said there was no indication of a problem with the electrical system. Needless to say I am very concerned about my daughter driving this vehicle, but have no other choice at the time. Can the NHTSA provide any further assistance with this situation.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Mar 132013

328

Upon trying to start car, control message came on said steering wheel locked, engine will not start. Turn wheel to start engine. This did not work, many tries!. car is not running. In checking the internet, for a solution, I find many with the same complaint for the same model & even year BMW. Something sounds fishy. There was just a recall on the 3 series for some short involving fuse box to back of car written up in my local newspaper. BMW said my car is not involved. Could these two issues be related? I have maintained my car per recommended schedule! BMW of North America said the wheel lock problem is not warranteed nor is it a recall issue. Sounds like too many people having this same problem for this not to be a defect that should be fixed by BMW at no charge to the customer. Please investigate and advise!

- Flushing, NY, USA

Feb 032013

328 6-cyl

A red steering wheel and lock appeared on the dash of my 2007 328xi which displays "steering wheel lock" alert and reads that the car should not be turned off or engine may fail to start. This appears to be an ongoing issue with this model which is quite expensive to fix. The manufacturer should be held responsible to fix this known defect as it is quite common in this model and there are many similar complaints regarding the same issue.

- Boxford, MA, USA

Nov 012012

328 6-cyl

On the way to work that morning a red warning light "steering wheel with a pad lock on the top left corner" came on, after parking at work I got the manual out and found that this is an electric steering-wheel lock fault, the car might not start if shut off. Took it to the dealer a few days later, and they cleared the code saying there was nothing wrong. Got the warning again in December, went back to the dealer, and now they say a sensor is bad. They need to replace the steering column for $1000.

- Edwardsville, PA, USA

Nov 062012

328 6-cyl

Battery seemed to have drained...when given a jump and power was restored, the car had a the steering locked light up red. The car turned on for a few times and now it doesn't turn on at all. There seems to be power in the car as everything lights up but when attempting to start nothing happens and the only light on the dashboard is the one of the steering locked in red!!!! this has to be a defect!!!

- Perris, Ca, CA, USA

Nov 142011

328

My 2007 BMW 328xi completely powered down while I was driving. I was forced to "coast" into a side lane on a busy road during the first occurrence. Since this first incident my car has been having this same exact issue - recently, much more frequently. I feel as if this is an incredibly dangerous issue since this has happened while I have been driving on incredibly busy streets and I could have easily gotten into some form of an accident.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA