2007 BMW 328 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW 328:

2007 BMW 328 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Apr 182015

328 6-cyl

I was driving on an empty road when the car shut off completely, the cabin lost all power and the car went on black out mode. I began to press the brake but it was rough and unresponsive, I pulled the emergency brake to continue to stop slowly, once on the side of the road, I began to examine the vehicle, opened the battery compartment in the trunk of the vehicle and seemed to be fine, I popped the hood open, examined a little bit more for fluids or signs of over heating and was unsuccessful, called a tow truck, the driver tested the battery and said the battery was not taking the charge, so he towed me home, the next day I took the battery to the place I purchased it from since it was still under warranty, this battery had a 2 year warranty and was used for 8 months. I installed the battery and the power in the cabin and dash was reestablished, a warning light came on the dash shortly after I try to start the car and a clicking noise from where the fuse box is located, on the passenger side began. I pulled the key out, attempted to start the car again and an icon of a steering wheel and locked popped up, all in red. I ceased to attempt to start the car, I researched the following day and it seems like it had to be taken to the BMW dealer, on Tuesday 4/22 the car was towed to the dealer, I was informed the battery was dead once again and that the issue was the steering column mechanism which was locked, they wanted to charge $1200 to perform the labor, apparently they reset the code and the car was turned on, once I realized the car was drivable and that there is no special coding to perform the job, I asked for the car to be released after paying $160. The vehicle has an electrical issue that causes the battery to put out higher voltage than the car needs and therefore causes the battery to malfunction.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 112010

328 6-cyl

My wife and I have a 2007 BMW 328I. In 2010, we got in the vehicle and there was a steering wheel lock warning on the dash. We took it to get looked at and they stated it was a "fault code". we had the exact same experience in 2012 and 2014 with the same result, "fault code". we now have this icon warning again. This time we are told that the whole steering column will need to be replaced ($1200). According to many references, this is a common problem and BMW is aware of it. Also, according to several references, there is no warning or prediction when the steering wheel lock will fail in the locked position. If you are first getting into the vehicle and the steering wheel lock has failed in the locked position, it will not allow you to start the engine. The question that I have is whether the steering wheel lock can fail in the locked position while the vehicle is being driven. Apparently, this question has been raised by numerous people. I have asked this question to the dealership as well as several BMW websites. The results are, they don't know or the answers have been inconsistent and often contradictory. Aside from this particular problem being far too frequent to ignore by BMW, this appears to be a very real safety concern. BMW continues to ignore this problem.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 292014

328 6-cyl

Yellow warning light indicated wheel is locked; car will not start. This has happened multiple times. Whereas it did not affect my driving, it affected driveability. Have been far from home late in the day -work related. Dealership said this is a common problem. What if wheel locks while driving? shame on BMW.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 102015

328

Steering wheel is locked and can't start the vehicle. I see now that I'm not the only one to deal with this now.

- South Ogden, UT, USA

Feb 132015

328 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock mechanism. Its been reported by thousands of owners but BMW doesn't issue a recall but will replace and repair for $1500.

- Flowery Branch, GA, USA

Jan 162013

328 6-cyl

Vehicle has a constant steering wheel lock warning. The steering wheel does not actually lock, but the warning is constant. Dealer has stated that the only remedy is to replace the steering wheel column.

- Wilmette, IL, USA

Jul 242014

328 6-cyl

Steering column lock failed and stranded consumer. This is a well known issue in the 2007 328xi and the manufacturer has done nothing other than force the consumer to make expensive repair/replacement of an obvious manufacturing/engineering flaw.

- Thetford Center, VT, USA

Jun 032014

328 6-cyl

Everything was fine. I hadn't noticed any changes except the cruise control would shut off by itself. Then I needed a jump and it took right away. The next time I needed a jump it wouldn't take. Took the battery to autozone and had it checked and it was fine. So realized it wasn't the battery. Id try to start the car but nothing happens not even a clicking noise nothing. But the lights still came on windows still rolled down radio even worked it just wouldn't start.

- Seminole, OK, USA

Apr 102012

328 6-cyl

Red warning light steering problem stop car immediately. BMW and internet states this was common problem $1800+ to fix I had extended warranty but it still cost me approx $600.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Nov 162013

328 6-cyl

Passenger airbag seat pad does not detect. Steering wheel lock fault both these problems have been recalled on other vehicles of same models same year but not mine. Both problems have occurred on my vehicle and I refuse to pay to get it fixed when others get there covered with a recall.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Feb 132014

328 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock sign keeps appearing and locking me out of the car. This has happened 4 times in the last two weeks and has left me stranded every time and 3 of the times a tow truck was unable to reach my car to tow it. I have had it at the dealer for a week now and the sign has not popped up for them so they say they can not do anything. When I dropped off the car to them after being stuck for 45 min, as soon as I parked it at BMW the service woman tried to go into it and start it and it showed the sign. The service team has been unable to diagnose the problem. So I am pick up the car today with nothing that has been done to it and it will most likely happen again in the next couple of days since it will be driven normally.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Jan 252014

328 6-cyl

I had just exited off of the freeway and was making a left turn at a light when the steering "locked up". I couldn't get the car to steer and the "service engine soon" light came on. Luckily, the car "coast" to the side of this non-busy road. I turned the car off and restarted and everything was back to normal. I was also able to drive back home without any issues a couple of hours later. However, this incident has me and my family freaked out as we frequently travel with our children. I cannot imagine the consequences if this lock up were to happen on a freeway at speeds in excess of 60mph. I have seen several folks complain of this issue and am afraid it may resurface anytime without warning. I'll have my car taken to a service shop near my home and have them diagnose, but having read so many complaints it appears to be along similar lines of the steering column issue. Has BMW owned up to this and are they issuing a recall?

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 152014

328 6-cyl

I was driving my 328I with 48K miles and the electronic steering wheel lock icon came up on the dash panel. It kept giving the warning that the steering wheel will lock and if I turn the car off and I won't be able to start it. I drove it home and when I turned the car off, I was able to crank it back up and had no problem with steering in test drive. Dealer told me that I need to replace the column because it could actually lock. This would be disastrous on a freeway in southern cal where I live. This is a defect in the BMW 328I models because I am reading other online posts stating the steering did lock. I am filing this complaint, hoping that any subsequent investigation by the NHTSA will see this is a real safety issue and BMW knows there is a problem that could result in a serious accident yet they won't issue a recall.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 242013

328

The car fortunately was not in motion however the steering column lock is not allowing the steering wheel to move as well as preventing the car to start. It seems to be a common inherent problem with BMW. In which costs the consumer ~$1800 to fix even though it's a most likely a software issue and not a parts issue. I have found numerous similar complaints online.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Nov 272013

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328xi. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the electronic steering lock (elv) in the steering column malfunctioned and the steering component needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 46,000.

- Princeton Junction, NJ, USA

Jul 012013

328

Steering wheel lock displayed on car dash board. It will not start and car had to be towed to dealership. I have found several complaints of this same issue online. BMW needs to pay for this issue I will never buy another BMW the rest of my life. Please check into this.

- Madison , MS, USA

May 212013

328 6-cyl

Steering wheel locked wile driving - very similar to NHTSA case # 10194169. My daughter was turning right into a parking lot when she noticed that the steering wheel came to a hard stop. When she realized that she would not make the turn, she tried to turn it back to the left but it immediately locked hard in place. She pulled forward in the direction of travel and was able to stop in the grass on the side of the road. After she stopped she noticed that the "service engine soon" warning message was illuminated. She then turned the car off and back on and everything worked normally and she was able to drive the car about a mile to the house. We had it towed to the local BMW dealer - the dealer kept the car for 3 days where they reviewed fault codes (found none), tried to duplicate the problem (could not duplicate), and took the steering column apart (but found no problem). The dealer did implement NHTSA campaign number 13V044000, but said there was no indication of a problem with the electrical system. Needless to say I am very concerned about my daughter driving this vehicle, but have no other choice at the time. Can the NHTSA provide any further assistance with this situation.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Mar 132013

328

Upon trying to start car, control message came on said steering wheel locked, engine will not start. Turn wheel to start engine. This did not work, many tries!. car is not running. In checking the internet, for a solution, I find many with the same complaint for the same model & even year BMW. Something sounds fishy. There was just a recall on the 3 series for some short involving fuse box to back of car written up in my local newspaper. BMW said my car is not involved. Could these two issues be related? I have maintained my car per recommended schedule! BMW of North America said the wheel lock problem is not warranteed nor is it a recall issue. Sounds like too many people having this same problem for this not to be a defect that should be fixed by BMW at no charge to the customer. Please investigate and advise!

- Flushing, NY, USA

Feb 032013

328 6-cyl

A red steering wheel and lock appeared on the dash of my 2007 328xi which displays "steering wheel lock" alert and reads that the car should not be turned off or engine may fail to start. This appears to be an ongoing issue with this model which is quite expensive to fix. The manufacturer should be held responsible to fix this known defect as it is quite common in this model and there are many similar complaints regarding the same issue.

- Boxford, MA, USA

Nov 012012

328 6-cyl

On the way to work that morning a red warning light "steering wheel with a pad lock on the top left corner" came on, after parking at work I got the manual out and found that this is an electric steering-wheel lock fault, the car might not start if shut off. Took it to the dealer a few days later, and they cleared the code saying there was nothing wrong. Got the warning again in December, went back to the dealer, and now they say a sensor is bad. They need to replace the steering column for $1000.

- Edwardsville, PA, USA