2007 BMW 328 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW 328:

2007 BMW 328 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jul 092012

328 6-cyl

Vehicle will not start, replaced battery and icon displaying electric steering lock (elv) shows in the dashboard. Vehicle will not start as steering wheel is locked and can not be released dealer says the steering wheel column needs to be replaced. This is an extremely common problem with these cars, dealer said the see about 3 cars a week with this problem.

- Orange City, FL, USA

Apr 022012

328 6-cyl

Dashboard displays "electronic steering lock" alert. No other outward symptoms. Car is drivable. Dealer says wheel could lock up at any time and says a steering column replacement ($1400) is required. This seems to be a very pervasive problem on many BMW models. I understand that it is so bad that BMW replaces the steering column with one without the steering wheel lock. Therefore, the manufacturer acknowledges the problem with the part. Many people are being forced to pay for an expensive repair that is obviously due to an inherent and pervasive problem that the manufacturers will not acknowledge. BMW should make this repair at no charge to the customer.

- Denville, NJ, USA

Jun 042012

328 6-cyl

Red indicator for electronic steering wheel lock malfunction. Car failed to start unless multiple attempts to unlock column by inserting and removing key. Dealer says the column needs to be replaced, and the car reprogrammed to "accept" the new column. The car is covered under a cpo warranty, so the parts will be covered, but the "reprogramming" is not. An internet search for "BMW electric steering wheel lock malfunction" returns multiple instances of the failure mode. In some cases multiple times per vehicle. Please help us! BMW is ignoring the issue or kicking-the-can down the road until the vehicle is out of warranty.

- Valley Center, CA, USA

Mar 172012

328 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock malfunction which is inherent on this model. BMW refuses to recall the item. They have since corrected the malfunction on subsequent years. Repair cost $1800 min. I will add this complaint to the ever growing list I am sure you have on this model. Hopefully you will attend to the dangerous problem. The steering wheel locks you crash.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Mar 162012

328 6-cyl

My 2007 BMW 335I became very hard to steer during a drive down a steep grade. A battery not charging error would appear on dash shortly after... here is what happened. While driving down a steep hill and needing to break hard on a turn to avoid hitting a dead animal on the road I smelled burning rubber and then heard a noise this noise I discovered later in the day was my power steering belt breaking. I lost all power steering went off the road out off control due to lose of power steering and almost hit a bike rider and came very close to going off the side of road. Later that day I decided to google my problem and see if there would be an easy fix to this problem. I discovered there is not an easy fix for a broken belt on my modal of car. I discovered this is common on many BMW models and BMW is aware of it see sib 11-09-08. I quickly discovered that I am not the only owner out there with this problem. There are many others. BMW knows of the problem and has not recalled any cars. There documentation of the problem is under sib 11-09-08. I will be bringing my car back to dealer to have this problem resolve and hope they follow the sib 11-09-08 which notes new style sub frame replacement will be required. I believe an investigation needs to be made regarding power steering belts breaking. These belts should not be breaking under the condition I was driving and should be considered a major safety issue. I hope to see this resolved soon before someone is killed. At this time I don't feel the car will be safe to drive.

- Agoura Hills, CA, USA

Jan 142012

I was left stranded in a parking lot with the steering wheel lock light showing. I was not able to start the car at all and I was upset because I could not move the car and had to be towed to the closest place which was an extreme burden on me financially.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Mar 112012

328 6-cyl

Red steering wheel lock warning light. I've spoken to many BMW owners and have researched online and this appears to be happening quiet often.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Feb 062012

A warning light came on in my car (steering wheel with pad lock). I contacted the dealer and they asked me if I had called earlier which I had not. I was somewhat alarmed that this sound like a common issue although in all of the cars I have owned in the past, I have never had to replace a steering wheel column. I believe this is a defect and this is why I am filing this concern. I was informed that normally the steering wheel locks up and you are unable to drive.

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Feb 062012

I was driving and a red light with a steering wheel and pad lock came on. I contacted someone regarding this light and they indicated that this is very dangerous to drive on and that it could potentially lock up on me. I contacted irvine BMW to inquire on the cost and someone answered asking me if I had spoke to him earlier about this problem, I responded no it was my first time calling. I believe this is potentially a problem with this vehicle and am requesting that someone look into the matter. I'm having to replace my steering column which cost $1460 and my extended warranty just ended and my vehicle just came on its 5th year.

- Rsm, CA, USA

Jan 192012

328 6-cyl

We did not buy BMW just for the look but we bought it cause of how good they make there cars and now this happen and boy I was fooled.

- Garland, TX, USA

Nov 292011

Steering column needed to be replaced per dealer.

- Compton , CA, USA

Nov 212011

328 6-cyl

The steering lock sensor is on. Might have to change steering wheel. Googled the problem at it seems that it is a factory defect as tons of people are affected.

- New York, NY, USA

Oct 222011

328 6-cyl

The steering column lock failed which required BMW to replace the upper steering column at $1,252.92!!!

- Fisherville, KY, USA

Aug 162011

328 6-cyl

There is a defect with the electronic steering wheel lock. The warning light came on, but the car functioned normally despite the owner's manual saying the car would not start. I thought it was a defective light, until I tried to start my car one morning. The electronic steering wheel lock would not disengage, and I had to get the car towed. It appears to be a complex problem as BMW dealer mechanics can only tell me that the steering column needs to be replaced. They will not tell me why it needs to be replaced or what is causing the problem. Estimates for repair have been between $1300 and $1800 depending on the dealer. I understand that cars break down but, after visiting BMW forums on the internet, it is plain to see that this is a known defect that BMW refuses to fix. One posting did indicate that the steering wheel locked up while the car was being driven causing a dangerous situation, but, in my case, the car was parked. This defect does pose to car owners a great inconvenience with possible unsafe consequences depending on the circumstances surrounding the car owner getting stranded. Furthermore, once stranded, the owner has little choice but to get it towed most likely to a BMW dealership and pay the large repair bill. (I tried an indy BMW specialist first. He could not fix it or even determine why it was occurring.) I am filing this complaint in the hope that any subsequent investigation by the NHTSA will reveal that BMW has let a known defect persist. Once that is discovered, BMW should be required to fix the defect and reimburse owners who have had to pay for a costly repair.

- Orange, CA, USA

Jul 272011

Steering wheel locked on 2007 BMW 328I coupe for the second time in two months! had to have vehicle towed, missed work, and out of a vehicle until it is fixed...for the second time in two months. I also know of at least 4 people who have had the exact same problem with their BMW's. please look into this.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jul 082011

328 6-cyl

Dashboard indicates, "electric steering lock engaged". car is currently drivable, however the dealer has informed me that this has happened often in this year and model of BMW, and will continue to worsen until the car will no longer turn on. The malfunctioning feature (steering wheel lock) has been removed from subsequent models, indicating that the manufacturer recognizes the malfunction. Repair includes replacement of the entire steering column, cost to repair is approximately $1300.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 212011

Car died out of no where who not start would not jump start had to have it towed for big money on a flat bed with skates. I was hours away from home. Steering column and a new battery over $1600.

- Dunstable, MA, USA

Mar 252010

328 6-cyl

I was driving the car and the electronic steering wheel lock icon illuminated on the dash panel. It kept giving the warning that the steering wheel will lock and if I turn the car off, I won't be able to crank it. I drove it for about two weeks. When I turned the car off, I could not crank it back up. I had to have the steering column replaced at my local BMW repair shop. I have known other BMW owner's who says this has happened to them more than once. I am wondering if this is a defect in the BMW 328I models because I have been told that the steering wheel could also lock if a person was driving, also.

- Florence, SC, USA

Mar 312011

BMW steering wheel lock cant start vehicle leaves you stranded. Had dealer replaced already once in past problem persists.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 012011

Red steering wheel lock warning light came on one day. I never had an issue with my car starting even with the warning light on. I had my car checked out and it was recommended to replace the whole steering wheel column. Not because it was bad, but because the sensor was bad and the only way to fix it was replacing the whole steering column. Total cost was over $700. My car was 3 months and 5,000 miles out of warranty. After researching on the internet I found that the steering column warning light sensor is a very common problem. Hopefully enough people complain and BMW recalls this part that is obviously defective.

- Elkhart, IN, USA