2007 BMW 328 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW 328:

2007 BMW 328 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 162016

328

Wheel sterring lock malfunction, essentially there steering no longer works and car shuts down.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 292016

328

Elv electronic steering lock faulty red indicator lamp: Engine will not start in Jan 2013 my car (mileage 128,575)was repaired by reeves BMW in tampa, fl for faulty steering lock (A112 cas elv fault and A116 cas critical status). They replaced the steering lock (steering column) at cost of $664.17 parts and $547.88 labor = $1212.05 + taxes. I didn't realize there were hundreds of similar complaints on the internet for this same issue. Now its 9/29/16 and I have the same exact issue with the lamp indicator and my car will not start. Stranded over 1 hour from my home. BMW parts have a warranty of 2 years, so there is nothing that the service department will do. I have to pay for the same repair all over again, plus the cost of a tow. How is this ethical or even safe? with all the complaints for this BMW elv issue, there should be a recall by BMW. This is a safety issue and something should be done to hold BMW accountable for these repairs. Obviously, there must be a material defect and/or design flaw where this keeps happening to hundreds of owners and on multiple occasions.

- Apollo Beach, FL, USA

Jul 292016

328

My 2007 BMW 328I is having red steering wheel warning displayed on dash. I have read around the internet and this seems to be a common problem with BMW. Requires the entire steering column be replaced. This is a major safety issue if a person needs to start the car and is unable to start it because of a faulty latch and lever. A simple google search of "BMW steering wheel lock" brings up hundreds of pages and videos of people having issues with their vehicles. The light on my car is a steering wheel lock red. I checked my battery and it works perfectly fine. The problem is a faulty steering lock. The certified BMW dealer that sold the vehicle said this is normal of bmws. Normal meaning they know it will eventually go bad and the steering column has to be replace to correct it. What, the steering column has to be replaced. At some point the vehicle will go into a no start mode per BMW to prevent a steering wheel lock from engaging while operating. This is unethical and cost the consumer around 1500 us dollars to correct.

- Albany, GA, USA

Jul 232016

328

Steering wheel lock is on. It appears this is a known issue. This is a safety issue. The car can stall or in case of an attack, a person cant get away. I walked to my vehicle one day and it was on, with no warning. It was never yellow. Went straight to red. Never seen it before.

- Queens, NY, USA

Jun 252016

328

My 2007 BMW 328I is having steering wheel lock issues. I have read around the internet and this seems to be a common problem with BMW. Sometimes when I start the car it will work, other times it will not turn on unless I try pulling the key fob out and putting it back in and clicking the push to start several times. This is all because of a lever that pushes a latch the unhooks the steering column so the car can start. BMW does not sell the faulty latch and lever alone but requires the entire steering column be replaced. This is a major safety issue if a person needs to start the car and is unable to start it because if a faulty latch and lever. A simple google search of "BMW steering wheel lock" brings up hundreds of pages and videos of people having issues with their vehicles. The light on my car is yellow and not red. I checked my battery and it works perfectly fine. The problem is a faulty steering lock. Ever since I purchased the vehicle it made this locking and unlocking noise and the certified BMW dealer that sold the vehicle said this is normal of bmws. Normal meaning they know it will eventually go bad and has to be replaced. This is unethical and a scam by BMW.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Feb 102016

328

After parking at store steering wheel lock displayed on car dash board and vehicle will not start.

- Whiteville, TN, USA

Apr 072016

328

The steering lock warning light in red display. I took to the dealer and they recommended me to replace the steering lock "elv" and program new control module. It cost $1,975 to replace. I did some research and it seems this might be known problem to BMW, but yet, I have never heard about it, until the incident happened to me. When the warning symbol displayed, it display every time even when I open the door.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Mar 212016

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328I. While driving 15 mph, the steering wheel locked up and the vehicle stalled. Various warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not able to restart and was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering column failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- Orlanda, FL, USA

Jan 302016

328

Red electric steering wheel lock icon on screen and car will not start or turn over. Radio works and everything else but car will not start. When battery died, and I charged it full, then went to start the car and this red electric steering wheel lock came on. Had to get car serviced

- Export, PA, USA

Jan 022016

328

No star no light no power only light for steering lock

- La Puente, CA, USA

Dec 122015

328

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 328I. The contact stated that after the vehicle was in the park position, the steering lock system failed to activate. In addition, the contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle began to smoke from under the hood of the vehicle. After the vehicle was parked, the contact discovered that the smoke was coming from the crank shaft. The contact also mentioned that the serpentine belt fractured causing the vehicle to stall. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering lock failed and that the steering lock module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was partially repaired due to the dealer not being granted approval for the repairs to be performed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Sep 212015

328

I parked my vehicle and when I went to start it it would not start. I got a red elv steering column lock error, BMW cc-id 186. Car will not start.

- Hanover, MD, USA

Sep 212015

328

After, I parked my car in the garage. (nothing out of the ordinary, daily routine, normal conditions). My car wouldn't start. It displayed a "power steering wheel locked" icon warning when I tried to start the ignition. The ignition spark wasnt there. The lights also dimmed as I tried to get started.

- Guttenberg, NJ, USA

Sep 172015

328

Battery died. Jumpstarted, drove for a bit. Turned off, turned back on drove home. Parked the car. Tried to restart and the red electronic steering wheel lock indicator was on. Plenty of juice in the battery, car will not even attempt to turn over. Can not get into neutral to tow out. Car is dead where it sits because of the electronic steering lock. Thank goodness we weren't in the middle of nowhere.

- Carmel, CA, USA

Jul 252015

328

Electronic steering wheel lock malfunciton. Vehicle cannot start. Steering wheel column needs to be replaced and software upgraded.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jun 212015

328

Drove to mall. Parked car. Came back out to a red steering wheel with a padlock on the dash. I put the key in the car. Pressed the button, car would not start. Tried to unlock the steering wheel but it would not budge. I searched the symbol to find out this is a common problem "intermittent ir immediate steering wheel lockout". I had the car towed to the dealer because this is what BMW said was the only option. Diagnosis need a new steering column. No warning. No steering issues. No visible damage. Just automatically locked out and left stranded.

- Orangeburg, NY, USA

May 092015

328

A message in red appeared on the dash with a steering wheel and padlock. Car would not start. Was told steering column needs to be replaced

- Indian Head , MD, USA

Apr 262015

328 6-cyl

I parked on my drive way normally with everything fine. The next day when trying to turn the car on, it wouldn't start and it gave me a steering wheel lock issue.

- San Dieogo, CA, USA

Apr 182015

328 6-cyl

I was driving on an empty road when the car shut off completely, the cabin lost all power and the car went on black out mode. I began to press the brake but it was rough and unresponsive, I pulled the emergency brake to continue to stop slowly, once on the side of the road, I began to examine the vehicle, opened the battery compartment in the trunk of the vehicle and seemed to be fine, I popped the hood open, examined a little bit more for fluids or signs of over heating and was unsuccessful, called a tow truck, the driver tested the battery and said the battery was not taking the charge, so he towed me home, the next day I took the battery to the place I purchased it from since it was still under warranty, this battery had a 2 year warranty and was used for 8 months. I installed the battery and the power in the cabin and dash was reestablished, a warning light came on the dash shortly after I try to start the car and a clicking noise from where the fuse box is located, on the passenger side began. I pulled the key out, attempted to start the car again and an icon of a steering wheel and locked popped up, all in red. I ceased to attempt to start the car, I researched the following day and it seems like it had to be taken to the BMW dealer, on Tuesday 4/22 the car was towed to the dealer, I was informed the battery was dead once again and that the issue was the steering column mechanism which was locked, they wanted to charge $1200 to perform the labor, apparently they reset the code and the car was turned on, once I realized the car was drivable and that there is no special coding to perform the job, I asked for the car to be released after paying $160. The vehicle has an electrical issue that causes the battery to put out higher voltage than the car needs and therefore causes the battery to malfunction.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 112010

328 6-cyl

My wife and I have a 2007 BMW 328I. In 2010, we got in the vehicle and there was a steering wheel lock warning on the dash. We took it to get looked at and they stated it was a "fault code". we had the exact same experience in 2012 and 2014 with the same result, "fault code". we now have this icon warning again. This time we are told that the whole steering column will need to be replaced ($1200). According to many references, this is a common problem and BMW is aware of it. Also, according to several references, there is no warning or prediction when the steering wheel lock will fail in the locked position. If you are first getting into the vehicle and the steering wheel lock has failed in the locked position, it will not allow you to start the engine. The question that I have is whether the steering wheel lock can fail in the locked position while the vehicle is being driven. Apparently, this question has been raised by numerous people. I have asked this question to the dealership as well as several BMW websites. The results are, they don't know or the answers have been inconsistent and often contradictory. Aside from this particular problem being far too frequent to ignore by BMW, this appears to be a very real safety concern. BMW continues to ignore this problem.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA