2008 BMW 328 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 328:

2008 BMW 328 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 112013

Heard a loud bang from engine compartment, passenger side. Subsequent left turns resulted in a thud with each revolution of the tire from the same area. Suspected cv joint. Took it into shop, and mechanic found that two right side engine mount bolts had corroded and sheared. Bolts are aluminum and engine block is magnesium which resulted in dissimilar metal corrosion. Engine fell and came to rest on frame.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Apr 202013

328 6-cyl

Noticed a loud rapid noise from right front tire area when taking a left car was fine infact days before was in the dealer for a recall but driving on the highway that day, we did hit a hard spot from grooved pavement to smooth, other than that no incident or accident to cause the sudden noise. Tool car to dealer and was told front engine mount and bolts were shredded. Charged almost $700 to replace and realign tires. Was told no warranty covers it and no explanation of how it could have happened. Im seeing alot of similar complaints, hoping someone takes notice and offers assistance with a recall.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Feb 092013

328 6-cyl

As I was driving home from work one evening, my 2008 BMW 328I coupe began acting strange. The interior overhead lights as well as most all of the dashboard lights (radio, hazard button, on-board computer etc.) began to flicker accompanied by a ticking noise in sequence with the flickering. The vehicle was acting as though it was about to shut down; that's when I decided to pull over. As I pulled off of the road, the steering became more difficult and the flickering became more frequent. While coming to a stop (traveling at about 10mph), the vehicle completely shut off. I lost complete control of vital mechanisms such as steering, power, lighting (both interior and exterior). The brake pedal felt unusually firm/stiff (not spongy or soft as it should feel). At this point, the vehicle had completely shut down with the gear selector still in "drive". I attempted to re-start the vehicle but it failed to start. I had my vehicle towed back to my apartment and the following day, I took it to a reputable, independent BMW mechanic. His diagnosis was that something related to the vehicle's battery, power supply system/electrical system circuitry was faulty--which in turn, killed the starter. He replaced the battery with a new oem battery as well as replaced the starter with an new oem starter and the related wiring/circuitry. A few weeks later, I received a recall notice in the mail-- March 2013 recall no. 13V-044 : power supply system. Because the symptoms noted in the recall letter match those I experienced identically, I am seeking reimbursement for the cost of repair that correlates to this issue. However, BMW states it will only reimburse the cost of repair pertaining to the single part at fault/recalled. The cause of this recall is known, but they are failing to reimburse customers for the damaging effects that the faulty/recalled part may have had on other components.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 262012

I was driving on the highway at about 70 miles an hour when the engine just suddenly stopped. While the car was slowing down I have to pull over and restart the car. Then after driving for another 10 min the engine stopped again this time I didn't have time to pull over and stopped in the middle of a highway. I have to keep trying before it restarted. I stopped at a gas station and was afraid to drive it again. Finally without a choice after an hour I started the car back up and was able to drive back home.

- Elberton , GA, USA

Feb 162013

328 6-cyl

I took my 2008 BMW 328I 51K miles to the dealership for a rough idle/vibration problem when car is stopped with brake applied. I was told that the vehicle is unsafe to drive and has two broken motor mount bolts on the right passenger side of vehicle. These broken bolts caused the engine to drop which caused addition damage to engine. I am the original owner and sole driver of this vehicle and it has never been in an accident or experienced any hazardous road conditions. I googled "BMW broken motor mount bolt" and found dozens of forums and complaints about the same issue happening to 2008, 2007 and other model year. These complaints were from 328xi and I owners as well as many other model numbers around the 2008 model year. I read that BMW is the only auto maker that uses aluminum rather than steel bolts and could not find any recall information about this issue. The complaints I read mentioned that BMW of North America did nothing about this issue. I will be contacting them once the repairs on my car are complete. I believe this is a serious safety issue and something needs to be done before someone is injured or killed.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA