2008 BMW 328 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 328:

2008 BMW 328 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 012016

Valve cover gasket leaks oil on exhaust manifold creating burning smell inside the passenger cabin. This creates a fire hazard with oil on hot exhaust manifold. When starting car in the morning is when the smell is the strongest and last throughout the drive. This is a dangerous problem and should be recalled. Parking vehicle in garage can burn house down if oil causes fire!

- Kailua Kona, HI, USA

Aug 152016

Motor mount bolts shearing off. Common problem that needs to be addressed with a safety recall.

- Rancho Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Feb 012016

I experienced a break down when I was driving on a city street. My car was then towed to the local dealer and dealer discovered water pump was bad so it was then replaced under warranty. 3 years later my car broke down again and was towed to local dealer an again the water pump was determined bad and replaced. I contacted BMW North America to see if they would help considering the water pump has broken twice but no help from them.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Nov 032014

This is well-documented on BMW forums. The adaptive driver memory logic causes a throttle lag of up to 1 second. This lag can be temporarily eliminated by resetting the throttle body adaption. The unnecessary throttle lag causes an unnecessary safety hazard by delaying the car's throttle response. BMW should issue a software update that allows owners to permanently disable or lock down the feature. The problem happens mainly when the car is stopped an in-gear. When the driver depresses the accelerator pedal, the computer delays the signal to the throttle body by up to 1 second. This delay increases the likelihood of a collision by causing an the car to unnecessarily respond in a manner that is different from the driver's intent. There is a 5-step procedure that owners can follow to temporarily reset the throttle body adaption, but the computer eventually re-learns the unsafe behavior. BMW has refused to acknowledge the problem even though it has been documented in several BMW models, engines, and model years, including the 328I, the 528I, the 750li, and others. In my case, I was stopped in traffic and attempted to accelerate and change lanes quickly in order to avoid an obstacle. The driver behind me interpreted the car's delay as inaction and performed the same maneuver, subsequently causing a rear-end collision when another car in front also accelerated and moved into the other lane and caused several cars to stop. If my car had responded appropriately when I applied the accelerator pedal, the tow truck behind me might have delayed his action.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Nov 102015

While driving(in motion) my vehicle will completely stop running and stall out. I took the vehicle to a mechanic for a diagnostics, but he stated he didn't see any issues. This happens frequently.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Nov 162015

My wife was driving home from work on the highway at night and her entire car just shut off without warning nearly causing her to be killed by a tractor trailer we had car towed to BMW dealership and they say valvetronic sensor/seal issue...but this was scary and nearly killed my wife so I felt compelled to report this issue

- Sandy Hook, CT, USA

Nov 012015

Sudden unexpected loss of power at highway speed due to defective eccentric shaft sensor

- Newtown, PA, USA

Jun 132015

Experienced same problem noted in NHTSA campaign # 14V176000. Vanos bolt sheared off, connected to the intake camshaft, then timing chain broke and came off.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Apr 272015

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 328I. While parked, the vehicle failed to start and the battery and check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the battery and the positive connection cable needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The engine warning light illuminated and engine malfunction was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was towed to another independent mechanic who diagnosed that the valve coil, the spark plugs, and the valve gasket covers needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 13V044000 (electrical system); however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 73,025. The VIN was unavailable.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

May 022014

Driving car and vehicle started to shake, make rumbling noise and feels sluggish when accelerating. Doesn't feel safe to drive with sluggish, engine power intermittent.

- Portland, OR, USA

Oct 302014

328 6-cyl

Motor mount bolts broke while turning out of my bank parking lot. Called dealership. Advised no recall noted. My extended warranty had also ended. I would be responsible for repairs. Took to my personal mechanic and he stated this is a very common problem with BMW. They are the only ones that use aluminum bolts for mounting the engine. Serious defect and a serious safety hazard. Need recall...

- Arlington, TX, USA

Sep 012014

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 328xi. While waiting at a traffic light, the vehicle vibrated and idled roughly. The contact mentioned that when making sharp left turns, a thumping noise was heard from the passenger side of the vehicle. The failure recurred multiple times. The dealer stated that all four motor mount bolts were fractured out of the block and that the engine shifted significantly, which was potentially caused by a pothole. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- North Hunnington , PA, USA

Oct 032014

328 6-cyl

Three bolts on engine mount bracket sheared off and one bolt on the same engine mount bracket was missing. The three bolts that sheared are in the engine block. This incident occurred only two weeks after bringing in my car to the peter pan BMW dealership to have my car inspected.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Aug 092014

I was informed the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket were leaking, which caused a problem with the eccentric shaft sensor. I paid for a new valvetronic motor, eccentric shaft sensor, valve cover and gaskets, and oil filter housing gasket, and the associated repair. Fast forward 3 months, I go in for a oil change and am told that again I have a significant leak from the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 182014

328 6-cyl

I was going over a small bump in the road at 30 mph and my engine mount failed. All four aluminum bolts sheared off and the engine dropped. This drop snapped my passenger drive shaft (half axle) in two pieces. I think BMW has a serious problem with the strength of the engine mount hardware. The engine mount bolts should be stronger. The failure mode is dangerous.

- Stoneham, MA, USA

May 202014

328 6-cyl

My vehicle completely stopped suddenly while driving on a high way. Horrific experience as cars were coming from behind with full highway speed. Fortunately the car behind was able to control his car and saved accident. My car is now towed to the dealership. Awaiting diagnostics.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 152013

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 328I. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the passenger front turn signal failed to illuminate. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 179,000.

- Athens, GA, USA

Feb 202014

328 6-cyl

Noticed an unusual engine vibration. Went to my mechanic who inspected vehicle. Pointed out broken motor mount bolts. His comment I have seen several of these over the years. The bolts are made from aluminum -- they break. Said he this was an ongoing and well known issue with BMW from that year and 2009. Said BMW would not cover it. He also stated the car had no visible signs of damage, to undercarriage that would suggest any damage. He said it just happens, and a lot of people have complained to BMW, all to no avail. Instead of beamers... they should call this car a bummer. It is an very expensive problem, created by poor engineering and manufacturing. Aluminum bolts holding an engine.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Nov 092010

As an example, when attempting to accelerate the vehicle onto a moving traffic situation the car hesitates/lags/delays before the engine catches, then it takes off like a rabbit when you don't expect it. This vehicle behavior has caused near miss accidents more than once when I was driving. It's not a delay which decreases a transient surge. It increases the transient surge as the car does not respond to the throttle for a half second then bolts forward with an awkward lurch and a slam. It's much rougher than a normal takeoff would be. It's not at all smooth. Some have described it as being rear-ended. The has been happening since I purchased the car in November 2010 many BMW owners have reported the problem to BMW as I have. The answer I got as well as many others from BMW was, "it's normal".

- Brookhaven, NY, USA

Sep 252013

328 6-cyl

I was pressing on my brake to slow down for a red light and I heard a loud thump from under the hood near the right side. As soon as I got to the stop light, my car started to rattle and vibrate violently. I pulled over and turned off the ignition and started my car and the car wasn't rattling anymore. As soon as I put it into reverse, it started to rattle again and did the same when I put it in drive. The vibrating goes away as soon as I start driving, and is only noticed when idled while in drive or reverse. I had someone come check it out and was told he needed to do further inspection at his shop. He inspected it and told me some bolts broke from the engine mount and the loud thump was from my engine dropping onto the air conditioning.

- Victorville, CA, USA