2008 BMW 328 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 328:

2008 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Jun 162016

• 1,000,000 miles

I had a funny cable or plastic smell inside the car. Couldn't figure out what it was. While driving the smell went worst. I stopped to get a flashlight from my trunk to see if something in my engine was burning. When I opened the trunk I seen that the battery was burning the plastic over the connectors. I have called last year when I purcheased this car yo check on any recals. I was told there wasn't any recals. By BMW vista employees.

- Pompano, FL, USA

Aug 022015

Car was parked in the driveway, drove it earlier that day for about an hour, parked it 3pm and 2 hours later neighbor came knocking saying car was smoking. Ran outside and car was on fire. Interior was smoked out. Keyless entry was dead. Broke the window to get the car open, turned the garden hose on to try and stop the car from burning. Called 911 fire dept arrived and had to pry the truck open because it was still sizzling. Fire dept cut the battery cables and said it looked like an electrical fire under the dash. Glove box and passenger side front seat was completely charred. After 22 days, a BMW engineer and allstate ins called it a total loss. BMW engineers report still has not been published. Total loss on a parked vehicle; clearly this vehicle was unsafe and a design fault. Manufacturers are suppose to engineer cars to withstand fires.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Dec 152013

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 328I. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the passenger front turn signal failed to illuminate. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 179,000.

- Athens, GA, USA

Nov 062013

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 328I. The contact was driving 40 mph when the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was diagnosed and the contact was informed that the battery wires were damaged. The contact was informed by the mechanic that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number 13V044000 (electrical system) however, the contact had never received notification of the recall. Additionally, the driver's side halo light would not illuminate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Alanta, GA, USA

Sep 082010

328 6-cyl

Recall campaign lamps in rear quarter panel. Lights on all the time. Took into BMW passport to fix. They charged me $277.75 to fix and now with a recall on the same issue they are not reimbursing me. I have receipts of repair, also recall notice and date I took in, their own receipt shows no fixing as taken care of earlier when they charged me $277.75. Help!

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Apr 052010

Through out the past month I have had my car towed three times with five occurrences of the car not cranking and the electrical system shutting down leaving me stranded. Over the past year the airbag light has come on at least once a month for less than 5-10 minutes at the time. The first instance it was towed BMW of mobile replaced the battery after several days of trouble shooting even though I had our local police department check the battery to be sure that was not the issue. They charged me over five hundred dollars for this battery. Two days after the battery was replaced I had it towed again to BMW of mobile because the car would not crank again and the lights etc. Would come on. They kept the car for over 5 days running test then stated that "nothing was wrong." I told them that I would not have had it towed if nothing was wrong. Two days later it would not crank again when my 3 year old daughter and I were at a late local highschool football game. This time they said that it was an electrical wire on the passenger side causing the problem causing something to melt near the fuse panel($1,200) to replace).

- Peterman, AL, USA

Nov 122008

Go here for the entire story: I purchased a brand new 2008 BMW 328I for $38,000 from sonnen BMW in san rafael, California. The car had a serious manufacturers defect that caused an electrical fire and resulted in my car being totaled. I had multiple issues with the front passengers side fog light falling out of its casing into the lower corner of the bumper which caused three separate fires. BMW has refused to replace my vehicle that had 11,500 miles and is covered under warranty. At the end of June 2008 I first realized this problem happened upon a closer inspection of the exterior of the car. I brought the car right away to sonnen BMW's service department, as I was worried about the safety of the vehicle. I showed them what happened, but they told me that they had no available appointments until two weeks out and that my car was safe to drive. Two weeks later I brought my vehicle to sonnen's service department, they "verified the defect" as stated in their service records. They replaced the complete front bumper and supposedly re secured the foglight. All of this was covered under BMW's warranty as it was a manufactures defect. I asked tom murtha (my service advisor) why this had happened, he told that because there was absolutely no impact damage, the only way this could have occurred was a mistake when building the vehicle at the factory. I thought all of my problems were solved until a foggy day in san francisco, California. On October 25th, 2008 at approximately 4:00 pm. While waiting at a stoplight I turned on my fog lights at the intersection of front & broadway (assuming that the foglight had been secured). It was foggy out and my passenger and I could not see the smoke that was coming from the passenger side fog light because of a small fire it caused. I was made aware of this when a pedestrian walked up to my car and alerted me that there was a fire. I pulled over right away and I dumped the contents of a large water bottle on the flame.

- San Rafael, CA, USA