2009 BMW 328 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 BMW 328:

2009 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Mar 282016

While driving back from gulf shores Alabama my headlights started flickering on and off while driving on the highway the power went off on the radio lights on the dashboard went off the steering wheel locked up and an sos button came on. The windshield wipers stopped and it was torrential rains and total darkness on interstate 75. When I could see well enough to get over to the brim I googled the codes that were flashing and was given further instruction on how to get my car started again. The headlights flickering on and off and visibility ( with the rain ) was impossible. Several various codes continued to pop up and this happened until we arrivd at our destination. It was if the whole computer board had gone haywire.every code imaginable came on and we had to stop to figure out what to do to get the car going. Since then my BMW will not start unless the battery is charged. It says battery discharging or battery was disconnected so I have to keep battery cables with me at all times. So last night I'm having the airbag code come on which I do have a recall on that, as well. I have taken several pictures of the various codes involved which I will attach.

- Raceland, KY, USA

Feb 202016

Noticed a very slight tapping when the car was first cranked--but no engine warning lights. After driving it for a few miles, a warning light indicating "charging malfunction" flashed on, and the battery symbol appeared. Because I was the passenger, I googled "BMW 328I charging malfunction" and the first result that came up read "BMW/ January 2013/ recall campaign no. 12V-550: Engine belt idler pulley bolt" for mys 2009-2012 BMW X5 xdrive 35S savs. Before I could inform driver, he complained that he had lost power steering. As we were literally yards from our destination, we parked, and returned to the car two hours later. When we recranked the car, same warnings. We decided to drive to local BMW service station. At a stop light a few miles further, many warning lights turned on simultaneously, the windshield wipers turned on, but the panel said it was still drivable and needed service soon. When the light changed, the panel went off, and the car was stopped dead in the middle of a major road. Pushed it to the side of the road to find the bolt broken and the pulley and belt loose. Upon having it towed to BMW repair, we were told the A/C compressor w/clutch, belt tensioner and belt, and oil filter housing gasket needed to be replaced to the tune of about $5090. (car had been given a clean bill of health during last oil change, and the A/C was working well earlier that morning.) wondering why the ebip bolt was recalled in so many other BMW models that year but not in ours. Information contained in their recall notification exactly matched the description of our problem.

- Savannah, GA, USA