2009 BMW 328 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 BMW 328:

2009 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Jan 112016

While making a left turn, to proceed up the street leaving work, several malfunction lights displayed on the dash and than my car shuts down completely; no inside nor outside lights (it was dark outside), no dings or anything. I thought maybe I needed a jump. Called a co-worker before he left work, whom also has a BMW. He said it was not a jump I needed and proceeded to go in the trunk to locate my battery. As soon as he was able to remove the plastic screws and wiggle the panel, trying to get it from under the wall panels that was holding it in place, all my lights came back on. However, a restraint system malfunction light remained on the dash. Thank god I was driving at a low speed and on a residential street, no cars around me nor had I made it to the hwy to head home, some 30 minute ride. I don't want to think of what could have happened! the restraint system malfunction is said to have something to do with the passenger side and the airbag. I feel I am driving in a very unsafe high costing vehicle, and either way, I, my passenger or someone else could seriously get hurt with this car on the road with these issues.

- Lithia Springs, GA, USA

Aug 112015

Coupe of time the vehicle lost power as the result SRS & airbag light now stay on.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Jul 062015

I turned on my vehicle one day and a message saying "passenger restraint system malfunction. Continue to wear seatbelt. Bring to local BMW dealership." The day before nothing happen as I was driving home from dallas to houston. Occasionally as I drive with someone sitting in the passenger seat, the warning goes away but then the chime goes off and the message reappears. This happen all in June, July, and August. Now even when no one is sitting on the passenger side, the warning comes on and stays on. The seatbelt as well seems to have no restraint and is a safety concern because if I was ever in an accident, the seatbelt won't hold the passenger back.

- Palacios, TX, USA

Feb 152015

The front right passenger air bag and seat belt warning lights are on, indicating that the passenger air bag and seat belt was not used. This occurred even when passenger seat was occupied. The manufacturer was made aware of this failure. The failure mileage was 55,000. This is unsafe... the passenger seat is occupied. BMW need a recall on this problem.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 012014

328 6-cyl

The warning light for not wearing the seat belt has stopped working for the front passenger seat. When the passenger is not wearing the seat belt the warning light no longer comes on and the warning sound no longer happens.

- Arlington, VA, USA