2009 BMW 328 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 BMW 328:

2009 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Feb 202016

Noticed a very slight tapping when the car was first cranked--but no engine warning lights. After driving it for a few miles, a warning light indicating "charging malfunction" flashed on, and the battery symbol appeared. Because I was the passenger, I googled "BMW 328I charging malfunction" and the first result that came up read "BMW/ January 2013/ recall campaign no. 12V-550: Engine belt idler pulley bolt" for mys 2009-2012 BMW X5 xdrive 35S savs. Before I could inform driver, he complained that he had lost power steering. As we were literally yards from our destination, we parked, and returned to the car two hours later. When we recranked the car, same warnings. We decided to drive to local BMW service station. At a stop light a few miles further, many warning lights turned on simultaneously, the windshield wipers turned on, but the panel said it was still drivable and needed service soon. When the light changed, the panel went off, and the car was stopped dead in the middle of a major road. Pushed it to the side of the road to find the bolt broken and the pulley and belt loose. Upon having it towed to BMW repair, we were told the A/C compressor w/clutch, belt tensioner and belt, and oil filter housing gasket needed to be replaced to the tune of about $5090. (car had been given a clean bill of health during last oil change, and the A/C was working well earlier that morning.) wondering why the ebip bolt was recalled in so many other BMW models that year but not in ours. Information contained in their recall notification exactly matched the description of our problem.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Oct 222015

He tenido varios problemas con el carro, corriendo al voltear SE me apago dos veces Y fue muy peligroso porque los carros que iban atras casi me pegan Y claro SE molestaron mucho al sacar la vuelta rapido para no golpear mi carro, lo lleve al mecanico Y tardo mucho para hallar el problema, la flecha derecha (blinking light) esta quebrada lo hace muy rapido Y al checar me dijeron que SE tiene que reparar todo incluido el foco de atras, problema con los cables de bateria eso si me lo arreglaron gratis porque tiene recall, pero luego la bateria empezo a fallar Y hubo que cambiarla, el volante esta muy duro Y al voltear tengo que hacerlo con mucho cuidado para no pegarle al del otro carril, el mecanico no ha podido componer ese problema, a veces SE hacelera solo cuando estoy haciendo un alto Y no SE ni porque lo hace, Y tampoco SE cuando va a pasar.

- San Juan, TX, USA

Oct 022015

Bolt securing serpentine belt tensioner assembly against engine block broke off. The belt tensioner assembly also broke. The serpentine belt completely came off rendering vehicle undriveable. Happened when vehicle was stationary. Vehicle was towed to repair shop.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Oct 112015

While attempting to make a right turn the steering wheel locked and at that time the brakes became unresponsive as well. This resulted in a motor vehicle accident as my car only stopped by hitting another car waiting at the opposite light. It can be compared to sliding on a patch of ice, but there is no option to move the wheel to try and regain control of your car. I am very thankful that I was not on the interstate when this occurred. There is a very serious safety hazard as I have done some research and found that this is a common issue with this particular automobile make.

- Hamden, CT, USA

Jul 182015

I lost all steering in my car

- Scranton, PA, USA

Feb 022010

I began to feel strong rapid pulsating and audible vibrations through steering wheel every time when I park the car. Once I experienced the same while driving at about 25 mph while making lane change to the right. And these vibrations and noise still continue to be felt since then.

- San Francisco, CA, USA