2011 BMW 328 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW 328:

2011 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Aug 252016

This vehicle has stalled numerous time when driven (in motion) at low speed on a city street. It has happened again 2 days ago when I was driving (in motion) and tried to make a right turn. The engine stopped and the steering wheel refused to turn. I would have been dead if another vehicle was coming from the other side of the road. This vehicle was taken to a BMW dealer's service numerous time for the exact same problem when it was under manufacturer warranty but the service and BMW usa always said that none of the other customers have ever reported this issue and they never heard of it from another customer.

- Katy, TX, USA

Sep 052015

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 328I. Approximately one year ago, the vehicle was repaired per a recall pertaining to the engine and engine cooling. Recently, the contact noticed a burning odor while driving at any speed. The vehicle was taken to the local dealer who performed the recall remedy. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure and stated that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The failure recurred, with light smoke emitting from the hood without warning. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that there was an oil leak on the engine gasket. The engine gasket was cleaned. The dealer explained that the oil leaked on a panel inside the engine compartment. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and ruled that the failure was a maintenance issue that needed to be remedied. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,751.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Mar 272016

Engine spun #3 rod to crank bearing @ 6400 RPM shift from 1st to 2nd. (red line is 6700) and computer controls should prevent engine from being damaged. Car had 135K on it when this happend, but I have owned it since new and have performed all required maintenance since new since new. I understated the car has high miles, but I still feel the engine should not have failed for running it hard one time. Engine was replaced from car with 21K in it. The repair cost over 5K with me doing the work.

- Apo Ae, AE, USA

Feb 182016

I have less than 39,000 miles on my vehicle, yet, the valve cover gasket is cracked. When the manufacturer recall was made public, BMW refused to check my car, because my VIN number was not on their list. My standard warranty expired, but my extended warranty only covers engine intake and exhaust camshaft. Is it unreasonable to request a valve cover gasket which seems to be damaged prematurely? I was driving when I noticed a little smoke and an odor. Meineke was the closest car repair nearby, and they are holding my car until I get a response from BMW.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 152015

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 328I. After starting the vehicle, there was an abnormal noise coming from the engine compartment of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the coils needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who inspected the vehicle and stated that the variable camshaft timing adjustment (vanos) needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired, but was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the vanos and oil pan gasket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Three weeks later, while driving 40 mph, "coolant liquid low, engine is hot please drive slowly" and "do not open hood, fire hazard" were displayed across the message board and the vehicle lost power. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that there was oil leakage. The coolant pump and oil pan gasket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Oct 012015

I purchased the vehicle back in 08/2014 from Mazda heritage in baltimore, md. The dealership stated that the vehicle was certified. After I drove the vehicle off the lot, maybe a week later the check engine light came on. Anytime I accelerated the car would slow down and sputter. I purchased an extended warranty and took the vehicle to a BMW dealer to have it looked over. The repair guy stated that their was a problem with the oil head gasket. It was fixed and I believed that the problem was fixed. I'm having the same issue now and I took it to BMW again, and now I have a oil pan leak. I'm a single parent and do not feel safe in the vehicle while I am transporting myself and two children. I just don't believe that after only one year that I should have issues like this. Please somebody help me in this situation.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Aug 112015

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 328I. While driving approximately 60 mph, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure and notified the contact that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V176000 (engine). The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 032015

Oil filter housing leak. Oil and grime built up on engine from leak through time. Could catch fire. BMW replaced for $600+. indicated not damaged - typical of that part. New model years have different part to avoid failure and leak. This should be covered as it's a defective part rather than costing the consumer over $600!

- Finleyville, PA, USA

Jun 012014

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 328I. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V176000 (engine). The dealer stated that the part was unavailable and that the contact could pay out of pocket for the repair and request a reimbursement. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Helotes , TX, USA

Aug 312014

328 6-cyl

After the car is stopped at a stop sign and when I try to accelerate the car, it hesitates to move even after I push the gas pedal. The car struggles to move forward and after pressing in hard it moves. The initial delay or the initial response time is huge. The time lag is large. The engine makes noise and will struggle to move. I hope the NHTSA will review the matter with BMW and see what needs to be done.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jun 012014

A letter from BMW came in June 2014 stating that my vehicle is effected for important safety recall and that I would be notified when the parts become available to have it fixed. The recall was for vanos assembly bolts. The letter states that I may hear increased noise, check engine light may come on leading to reduced power leading to engine stall. I noticed on this website many people have had similar complaints and leading to steering wheel to lock and engine to shut off which can lead to injury and death of anyone on the roads. I have called my dealer as well BMW headquarters and both state that they have no idea when the parts will become available. So for now I have to drive a car with a safety recall and I can do nothing about it other than hope I don't cause an accident due to my car malfunctioning. This is criminal of BMW and needs to be addressed. I asked them if I could bring my car in and have a loaner instead till the parts become available but was turned down, unless I want to pay out of my own pocket. This needs to be addressed! thank you for protecting americans on the road!

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Apr 172014

328 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 328I. The contact stated that the service engine sensor illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that the vanos solenoid valves and the cam shaft bearing ledge needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who diagnosed that the ignition coils needed to be replaced. The remedy failed to repair the problem. The vehicle was taken back to dealer, where it was later diagnosed that the vanos assembly bolt was defective. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign id number: 14V176000 (engine). The recall repairs were not performed. However, the dealer replaced two engine coils, changed the oil, replaced a wheel sensor, drained the brake fluid and replaced a micro-filter. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure several times and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000. Updated 09/02/14 updated 11/7/2014

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Jul 142014

Driving home from work on Monday 07/14/14 at approximately 5:30pm and suddenly my car began to shake and the steering wheel locked. I could hear the engine shut down and the car came to a complete stop. I was able to get the car over to the side of the road and thankfully I was not on the highway. I received a letter from BMW in June 2014 stating they would be recalling my specific vehicle due to engine problems. I contacted them as soon as I received the letter but was told the parts had not come in yet and I should receive a 2nd notice shortly. I still have not received a letter and now I have not vehicle. This same issue happened to me back in September of 2013. BMW took the care and tightened some bolts on the issue and said I was good to go.

- Randolph, MA, USA