2006 BMW 330 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 330:

2006 BMW 330 Owner Comments (Page 10 of 12)

Oct 012012

330 6-cyl

I am the 2nd owner of my 2006 BMW 3 series. I've driven it for about 4 months and one day I go to start my car to go to work and I noticed that the air bag indicator came on and it says passenger restraint malfunction. I have no idea why or what caused this!? I don't mess with my car, it just randomly did it once I tried to start it.'ve done some research and I seen an article from nbc news that says "BMW ag said Wednesday it was recalling 200,000 vehicles over concerns that the front passenger air bag may not deploy in a crash." Now that really concerns me! I need to get this fixed as soon as possible. Please help!

- Yuba City, CA, USA

Sep 052012

330 6-cyl

A warning indicator light came on telling me that the passenger restraint system was malfunctioning. At first it was occasional. Now the warning is on every time I get in the car with or without a passenger. I would like to have the car included in recall 08V384000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 172012

330 6-cyl

The two issues are (1) airbag malfunction and (2) steering wheel malfunction. (1) the first issue occurred while I was driving on ca I-80 towards berkley from davis on 8/17/2012. As I was driving, the car displayed a notification that the passenger air bag was experiencing a problem and shut off. There was a passenger in the car. As of this date, the airbag is still shut off. (2) the second issue occurred while I was driving on ca I-280 from burlingame towards millbrae on 8/30/2012. As I was driving, I noticed a steering wheel lock notification. Luckily, I was at my exit and near home so I drove slowly home. After turning the car off, the steering wheel locked up. Restarting and turning the car off causes the steering wheel to randomly lock/unlock. I have not driven the car after the incident.

- Millbrae, CA, USA

Nov 012011

330 6-cyl

Randomly while there is either weight from a bag or a person in the front passenger seat, the seatbelt light will appear on the dash and the passenger airbag off light will light up on the roof. This tells me that the airbag will not deploy even though there is someone in the seat in the event of an accident.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Jun 202012

330

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 330I. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag warning lamp illuminated with the passenger seat occupied. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 115,000.

- Edmond , OK, USA

Jul 262012

330 6-cyl

For the listed 2006 BMW E90 330I, the following error message was displayed in the idrive interface. "pass. Restraint system: Fault in passenger-restraint system affecting airbag, belt tensioner or belt-force limiter. Restraint system malfunction!" the failure occurred with nothing occupying the passenger seat while travelling approximately 35 mph. The seatbelt, airbag, and passenger airbag warning lights remain illuminated with and without a person occupying the passenger seat and cannot be cleared. BMW was contacted and stated the VIN did not qualify for a recall of NHTSA campaign id number 08V384000 (air bags: Frontal). The vehicle has not been repaired. This defect causes a severe safety risk due to possible seatbelt and airbag system failures resulting in potential fatality. Since the make, model, year, and equipment match the recall specifications; this vehicle should be included in the recall and repaired at no cost to the owner. The mileage at which the failure occurred and current mileage are approximately 86,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 012012

330 6-cyl

Passenger seat occupant sensor fault.

- Bay Minette, AL, USA

Aug 112011

330

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 330xi. The contact stated that while driving 42 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The dealer replaced the mat in the passenger seat and the connectors. After the repair the light illuminated the following day. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who advised that the connectors were bent after previously stating that they had replaced them. The dealer then replaced the connectors. Eight months later the air bag warning light illuminated again. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and the contact was informed that the failure was caused by a fuse which needed to be replaced. After the repairs, the contact drove 10 miles and the light illuminated again. The dealer then advised that the failure was caused by the control module. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 108,000 and the current mileage was 125,000.

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Aug 022011

330

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 330xi. The contact stated that the passenger air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the passenger air bag sensor mat was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 58,000 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Willowbrook, IL, USA

Apr 232012

330 6-cyl

Warning light that air bag is not functioning comes on. Dealer found a fault in the seat adjustment sensor (part of the seat motor). Said seat motor would have to be replaced. This appears to be the same fault others are reporting that was covered for some series 3 models by a NHTSA recall. The dealer made no mention of a recall. I have not had the repair done.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

May 232012

330

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 330xi. The contact stated that the air bag and passenger restraint lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact researched and located NHTSA campaign id number: 08V384000 (air bag frontal). The contact spoke with the manufacturer and was informed that the vehicle was not included. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 76,000.

- New City, NY, USA

Apr 012012

330

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 330I. The contact stated that the air bag deactivation warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer stated that the front passenger seat air bag mat sensor failed. The manufacturer denied assistance with the repair because the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 08V384000 (air bags frontal). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 62,000 and the current mileage was 64,000.

- West Linn, OR, USA

Mar 072012

330 6-cyl

My car displays exact symptoms of NHTSA campaign id number: 08V384000 which is a passenger seat mat sensor failure. I called BMW na to find out more about this recall and they told me my car is not part of the recall. I researched online and it seems like BMW is denying this recall to most of the owners having this issue. This is a serious safety concern and it is obvious that many more cars are affected by this issue then originally determined by BMW and NHTSA.

- Wheeling, IL, USA

Jul 012011

330 6-cyl

My BMW 2006 330I has a defect in the passenger air bag. Whether someone is in the passenger seat or not, the passenger air bag light turns on indicating that the air bag is turned off. There was a recall on 2006 BMW 3 series (and other series) for this exact problem, but BMW states that my particular vehicle is not covered. It is the exact same problem that the recall was for, so I do not understand how it was not included in the recall of 2007/2008.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Apr 102012

330 6-cyl

NHTSA campaign number 08V384000 does not cover this particular VIN vehicle, but I think it should. I have same symptoms and the dealer is replacing the passenger seat mat.

- Lawndale, CA, USA

Dec 012011

330

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 330I. The contact stated that the SRS warning lamp was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the passenger seat mat sensor was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 08V384000 (air bags:frontal). The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 56,000 and the current mileage was 57,500.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Apr 302010

330 6-cyl

After a recall on my (sport) seats was performed by the dealer, the seatbelt warning chime sounds when there is no one or nothing in the seat. It never did this before the recall was performed. The only way to get the chime to stop is to buckle the passenger belt.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

Sep 102008

330 6-cyl

Failure of SRS seat belt warning system which deactivates passenger air bag deployment. This is extremely dangerous as the passenger is no longer protected. Failure repaired under warrant. Same problem occurred 2011 and dealer and BMW manufacturer will not repair as vehicle falls outside their recall vins. This problem is obviously a safety problem and one in which the manufacturer knows is a problem for this vehicle.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jan 152012

330

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325. The contact stated that the air bag light illuminated for the last few months. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was later notified and they informed him that there were no recalls on his vehicle. The failure mileage was approximately 55,000.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Mar 022012

330

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 330I. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag sensor warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 56,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA