2006 BMW 330 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 330:

2006 BMW 330 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 292012

Steering column. BMW problem, factory issue that needs to be taken care of. Steering lock light.

- Orange , CA, USA

Dec 012012

330 6-cyl

I had a bad experience this morning. When I got into my car, it wouldn't start when I pushed the start button. Instead it had an icon on the dash of the steering wheel with a lock sign on it. I pulled the fob out and put it back in a few times, trying to start the car every time, but no life. This is a very weird problem. The steering wheel lock wouldn't release. I tried to get it started for over 30 minutes, still unsuccessful. I did some research on the internet, apparently it is a common problem in the 06 and early 07 models of the 3 series. In mid-07, BMW stopped putting locks in the steering columns. Apparently, this problem has to do with the electronic lock power draw when starting the car, and a software update normally fixes the problem. If the software update does not work, BMW replaces the steering column if you are under the warranty. All my updates are done because I took it to my BMW dealer on 11/14/12 and they rechecked everything. Since it is a common problem and there are many customer complaints as stated in here;, BMW should issue a recall and be held responsible for this issue.

- East Longmeadow, MA, USA

Aug 172012

330 6-cyl

The two issues are (1) airbag malfunction and (2) steering wheel malfunction. (1) the first issue occurred while I was driving on ca I-80 towards berkley from davis on 8/17/2012. As I was driving, the car displayed a notification that the passenger air bag was experiencing a problem and shut off. There was a passenger in the car. As of this date, the airbag is still shut off. (2) the second issue occurred while I was driving on ca I-280 from burlingame towards millbrae on 8/30/2012. As I was driving, I noticed a steering wheel lock notification. Luckily, I was at my exit and near home so I drove slowly home. After turning the car off, the steering wheel locked up. Restarting and turning the car off causes the steering wheel to randomly lock/unlock. I have not driven the car after the incident.

- Millbrae, CA, USA

Jul 062012

330 6-cyl

BMW steering lock failure I should be replace by BMW because all this models have this problem is very unsafe but BMW don't want to do a recall in this matter.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

May 062012

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 330I. The contact stated that a loud noise emitted from the steering wheel and the wheel seized. As a result, the contact was unable to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the elv steering lock was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 97,000 and the current mileage was 99,334.

- South Jordan , UT, USA

Feb 062012

I have an amber colored steering wheel lock icon on the dashboard. I took it to the dealer and they said it is not safe to drive it because this will lock up the steering wheel. I told them if that's the case then there should be a recall and unfortunately there hasn't been one. Hopefully everyone who has had this issue files a complaint with the NHTSA as this is a very serious problem and one that needs to be addressed by BMW na.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 262012

330 6-cyl

Will not start because of steering in lock position. Airbag and seat belt error (red icon) in passenger side.

- Covina, CA, USA

Feb 242012

The car constantly displays a steering wheel lock icon when I try to start the car. This issue has been reported by many drivers and it can be fatal if the steering wheel locks while the car is moving. This needs to be addressed right away.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 122011

330 6-cyl

Electric steering lock mechanism failure prevents starting the car.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Feb 132012

330 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock warning light illuminated in red on dash. This is a common problem with 2006 325I series. BMW has discontinued this type of steering wheel column when building their 2007 vehicles because its an issue. Why hasn't this been recalled and why hasnt anyone taken action on the incident?

- Musctine, IA, USA

Jan 162012

330 6-cyl

A knocking noise was coming from the front end whenever going over small bumps. Vehicle was taken in for tire rotation. While tires were being rotated, the technician noticed a lot of play in the front wheels. Upon further investigation, the ball joint that connects the front wheel assembly was extremely worn out causing approximately 6 inches of play in the front left wheel. The technician checked the right wheel and noticed that it too was becoming very worn. The technician told me that if this would have failed completely while driving, I would have lost control of the vehicle. Left front lower control arm assembly replaced by technician at owners cost. Owner contacted BMW about a recall concerning the lower control arms on 3 series bmws, and they said my vehicle was not under recall.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Feb 042012

330 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock is on which prevents the car from starting even after moving the steering wheel and inserting/removing the key fob in the key slot. This is a known issue and as well as a safety issue. Numerous people from BMW forums have reported the same problem and BMW won't do anything about it.

- Geneva, IL, USA

Oct 202011

330 6-cyl

Steering lock lamp is amber and now red. Says car will not start because steering lock mechanism could engage. Could possibly lock while driving.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Dec 292011

330 6-cyl

I got into my car on the morning of the 29th Dec. 2011. I showed a yellow steering wheel lock code (indicating a possible problem). I drove the car after work with no problems although planning on getting the vehicle into service just to have it checked out. I pulled into the driveway and parked the car, returned to it 15 min later and it wouldnt start! after further investigation into the problem the car showed a red steering wheel lock code indicating it would no longer start. After deep investigation I find the this is a very common problem on hundreds of the same model car as mine. Most people are told to reprogram the computer and/or replace the steering column (sometimes multiple times) and then most still have problems.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Oct 272011

The steering wheel lock would not unlock. An error message shows on the display indicating a steering wheel lock malfunction. This error would not allow for the car to start. This resulted in the entire steering wheel column needing replaced.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Aug 100006

The steering wheel electronic lock on the 2006 BMW 330I is defective. The steering wheel lock prevents the car from being started and even with the appropriate key, etc. It locks in error. This occurs on every attempt to start the car with the key in the ignition. This part should be recalled as their is a defective component in the vehicle.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Mar 292011

Steering wheel lock

- Barton, OH, USA

Feb 202010

There is a red dash warning light with a steering wheel and lock. Car will not start.

- Oxford, PA, USA

Feb 032011

330 6-cyl

On 2/3/2011 my vehicle had the steering wheel lock with the amber light. 2006 325I was towed to the dealer. It took re-programming and the steering column being replaced to fix the vehicle. There are numerous 3 series with this issue in us and world. This is common for the E90S. Below is a list of those that have been reported to your Agency. BMW is not acknowledging the defect yet they took this feature out in 2008. Reports: 10380778, 10378186 - 330I 10322165 - 325xi 10380077, 10353644 - 325I 10173714,10369685,10341920,10341836,10238977,10181405 - 3 series.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 022011

330 6-cyl

Steering wheel had random electronic lock failure.

- Marietta, GA, USA