2006 BMW 330 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 330:

2006 BMW 330 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 112011

330 6-cyl

2006 BMW 330I was fitted with a steering column equipped with a steering lock sensor that is prone to failure and may render the car safe and/or inoperable. I have this issue currently that will require over $1,000 in repairs. In addition, the steering wheel may lock up during vehicle use compromising the safety of myself and/or family. This is a chronic and recurring issue that BMW is aware of and they have taken steps to re-design the columns in 2007+ vehicles. Unfortunately, they will not recall the 2006 vehicles equipped with the columns that have this design flaw and propensity for failure. I have called BMW na multiple times to discuss but they are not willing to admit any culpability of address my concerns in a productive manner. I in speaking with my BMW parts advisor and mechanic who runs a large scale service garage, he sees many vehicles come in for this specific problem and advised that it is "only a matter of time" before a class action suit is taken against them. It is frustrating that my family is at risk because BMW will not take an ethical stance on this issue and address the shortcomings in the design of the re-designed 3-series vehicle that I have purchased. 2006 was the first year of the re-design of the 3-series and that is perhaps a contributing factor to the problem (since this is the first year that this design was employed in a vehicle). Please take this complaint seriously and check the facts by googling "E90 steering column problems" to find a wealth of information on the topic including many other people that have experienced this exact same issue and have had their safety and finances compromised. If the government doesn't keep these large auto manufacturers honest in addressing these design flaws, consumers will be subject to perpetual financial and possible physical harm. Someone shouldn't have to be injured or worse before action is taken to address the safety threat.. most columns operate properly for the life of the vehicle.

- Caldwell, WV, USA

Nov 282010

330 6-cyl

Failure of steering column lock, causing inability to restart automobile intermittently. I have read this is a common problem with early 2006 330I models, but a recall was never issued. My car has very low miles, so it was clearly a design flaw. BMW offered to supply the parts for free, however I feel this is a safety-related issue and should have been 100% covered by BMW as a recall and handled proactively by the company.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 112010

330

2006 BMW 330 xi when pressing on the brake the car accelerated with a loud noise, could not steer the car; crashed in trees. 24,323 miles still under new car warranty.

- Somerville, NJ, USA

Jun 112010

330

2006 BMW 330xi brake failure, acceleration, no steering. Occurred twice; BMW repaired by dealer new brakes, computer; second occurrence car did not stop until hit trees.

- Somerville, NJ, USA

Aug 192008

330

I drive a 2006 BMW 330xi with the oem Bridgestone turanaza runflat tires. From 2006 to today I have replaced all 4 of my tires and rims twice and still have problems with the tires being to rough on New York city roads which means it just cracking and bending each and every rim on my car over time. Now this problem with the tires being to rough and lack of control with there tires lead to another problem something in my steering rack has cracked. BMW not wanting to tell me what part of the steering rack was broken all they told me was it will cost 3000 dollars and I couldn't pay it in monthly installments, I have been trying to alert them of my situation for about 1 year but they do not take me seriously since I am only 22 years old and take me for a fool. As of yesterday also my lock actuators which is the part of the car that allows your alarm to unlock your doors are frozen and will not unlock any other doors expect the driver by using the manual key. For the im paying everymonth BMW is not diving me the ultimate driving machine, I will not recommend this car to anyone soul in the New York and I am looking to take legal action for my rights against the lack or quality and safety they have put me in over the lack year.

- Astoria, NY, USA

Oct 222005

330

Automobile will randomly veer or drift in either direction. Action is more severe when road surface is less even, but it can occur at slow speed on smooth street. Dealer has checked and performed alignment and otherwise checked out this condition. Dealer stated it is "normal" for sports tires to do this.

- Salem, OR, USA