2.2

2007 BMW 335 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW 335:

2007 BMW 335 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 012016

335

I have a 2007 BMW 335I with a locked steering wheel. This have been a non and dangerous problem from the release of the car. BMW refuses to help there owners even when the estimated repair is about 2000. This item should have been recalled a long time ago, my steering locked on me while I was driving inthe city, I was able to get over before I hit something. bmwproblem.com/tag/steering/page/5/

- Miramar, FL, USA

Apr 072016

335

The steering lock warning light in red display. I took to the dealer and they recommended me to replace the steering lock "elv" and program new control module. It cost $1,975 to replace. I did some research and it seems this might be known problem to BMW, but yet, I have never heard about it, until the incident happened to me. When the warning symbol displayed, it display every time even when I open the door.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jan 302016

335

Red electric steering wheel lock icon on screen and car will not start or turn over. Radio works and everything else but car will not start. When battery died, and I charged it full, then went to start the car and this red electric steering wheel lock came on. Had to get car serviced

- Export, PA, USA

Jan 022016

335

No star no light no power only light for steering lock

- La Puente, CA, USA

Sep 212015

335

I parked my vehicle and when I went to start it it would not start. I got a red elv steering column lock error, BMW cc-id 186. Car will not start.

- Hanover, MD, USA

Sep 172015

335

Battery died. Jumpstarted, drove for a bit. Turned off, turned back on drove home. Parked the car. Tried to restart and the red electronic steering wheel lock indicator was on. Plenty of juice in the battery, car will not even attempt to turn over. Can not get into neutral to tow out. Car is dead where it sits because of the electronic steering lock. Thank goodness we weren't in the middle of nowhere.

- Carmel, CA, USA

Dec 292014

335 6-cyl

Yellow warning light indicated wheel is locked; car will not start. This has happened multiple times. Whereas it did not affect my driving, it affected driveability. Have been far from home late in the day -work related. Dealership said this is a common problem. What if wheel locks while driving? shame on BMW.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 062015

335

Just the other day I decided to take a trip to the store. I stepped in the car and attempted to state it. I got the ( electric steering wheel lock malfunction ) it automatically disables the vehicle no matter where you are located. I called the dealership to confirm the diagnostics and they told me it was a common issue and it would cost me up towards $1500 out of pocket.. that is crazy !! now I have a heavy and expensive paper weight in my driveway. I did some research on a couple of BMW forums to do some home work I couldn't believe the number of people with the same issue. The kicker is its a dealer part only. I have now choice but to go the dealership and be forced to pay premium prices for a defective part the is common to break. Its a sensor that is located in the steering column of the car that fails. BMW designed the steering column to be one unit so I have to change out the whole column instead the effected problem which cost nothing in comparison. How is this my fault. Why do I have to pay this outrageous amount of money for something that is out of my hands.

- Malden, MA, USA

Feb 132015

335 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock mechanism. Its been reported by thousands of owners but BMW doesn't issue a recall but will replace and repair for $1500.

- Flowery Branch, GA, USA

Aug 152014

335 6-cyl

The vehicle steering wheel locked and the car would not start. A known and consistent problem for this vehicle, yet no recall. A faulty lock mechanism in the steering column could lead to a fatal accident. This is completely unacceptable.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 142014

335 6-cyl

My serpentine belt (drive belt) snapped and shattered causing my vehicle to lose power steering capabilities. This belt drives all the accesories( alternator, power steering, ac, etc). This is a known issue by BMW, there is a sib 11 09 08 that states the issue and how to go about checking it by the dealer. The issue is the design flaw in the power steering pully hitting the sub frame and causing damage to the belt and in turn the belt snapping. This can/will cause a fatality one day because of the loss of steering controls. The belt on my vehicle was replaced before on 12/20/12 for the same reason and it has only been 1.5 years and the same problem.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jul 212013

335 6-cyl

Driving normally, about to make a turn onto a street my power steering fails and I get a light on the dashboard about battery charging malfunction. Upon further investigation it turns out my accessory belt that drives the ac compressor, power steering pump and alternator was completely shredded and not on the pulleys. I have damage to multiple pulleys in my car. My power steering pulley is missing big chunks because of impact with the sub-frame. This is a known service bulletin ( sib 11 09 08 ) the power steering pulley impacts the sub-frame because of motor movement when hitting bumps etc.. this caused my belt to be ripped into shreds and break off big chunks of my power steering pulley.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Mar 072012

335 6-cyl

The steering wheel column locks up and will not start after driving it. If I drive normal without doing anything out of the normal it locks. I can't restart the car. I turn the steering back and forth to get it to unlock. I have even gone as far as to wait a few minutes and them restart it. I'm scared the steering wheel will lock while I'm driving I have a 6 year old daughter and I don't want out lives at jeopardy.

- Atlanta , GA, USA

Mar 022013

335 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock sensor activated.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Feb 262013

335 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock engaged not while driving. Car was parked went to get in car and start it but nothing happened. Steering wheel lock is engaged. Turn steering wheel to start engine was the message that appeared on screen. Tried everything even called BMW dealership to ask for help. Tried everything they told me for hours. It still wont start. Needs to be towed to a dealership and fixed. Where the car wasn't moving when this happened this should be a recall. I should not have to pay for this because I have read many of forums and threads about steering wheel locks on 07 335I and having many problems. This needs to be fixed. Thankyou

- Peabody, MA, USA

Mar 162012

335 6-cyl

My 2007 BMW 335I became very hard to steer during a drive down a steep grade. A battery not charging error would appear on dash shortly after... here is what happened. While driving down a steep hill and needing to break hard on a turn to avoid hitting a dead animal on the road I smelled burning rubber and then heard a noise this noise I discovered later in the day was my power steering belt breaking. I lost all power steering went off the road out off control due to lose of power steering and almost hit a bike rider and came very close to going off the side of road. Later that day I decided to google my problem and see if there would be an easy fix to this problem. I discovered there is not an easy fix for a broken belt on my modal of car. I discovered this is common on many BMW models and BMW is aware of it see sib 11-09-08. I quickly discovered that I am not the only owner out there with this problem. There are many others. BMW knows of the problem and has not recalled any cars. There documentation of the problem is under sib 11-09-08. I will be bringing my car back to dealer to have this problem resolve and hope they follow the sib 11-09-08 which notes new style sub frame replacement will be required. I believe an investigation needs to be made regarding power steering belts breaking. These belts should not be breaking under the condition I was driving and should be considered a major safety issue. I hope to see this resolved soon before someone is killed. At this time I don't feel the car will be safe to drive.

- Agoura Hills, CA, USA

Mar 112012

335 6-cyl

Red steering wheel lock warning light. I've spoken to many BMW owners and have researched online and this appears to be happening quiet often.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Feb 202012

335 6-cyl

My steering column locked up on me out of the blue without any warning. BMW dealer in raleigh nc (leith BMW on capital blvd) said that to fix is to replace the whole steering wheel column.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 062012

335

A warning light came on in my car (steering wheel with pad lock). I contacted the dealer and they asked me if I had called earlier which I had not. I was somewhat alarmed that this sound like a common issue although in all of the cars I have owned in the past, I have never had to replace a steering wheel column. I believe this is a defect and this is why I am filing this concern. I was informed that normally the steering wheel locks up and you are unable to drive.

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Feb 062012

335

I was driving and a red light with a steering wheel and pad lock came on. I contacted someone regarding this light and they indicated that this is very dangerous to drive on and that it could potentially lock up on me. I contacted irvine BMW to inquire on the cost and someone answered asking me if I had spoke to him earlier about this problem, I responded no it was my first time calling. I believe this is potentially a problem with this vehicle and am requesting that someone look into the matter. I'm having to replace my steering column which cost $1460 and my extended warranty just ended and my vehicle just came on its 5th year.

- Rsm, CA, USA