2013 BMW 335 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 BMW 335:

2013 BMW 335 Owner Comments

Oct 272016

335

While driving on the freeway going to work, around 5:30 in the morning, the power train warning light came on the screen.., while on sport mode selected I noticed that my RPM was close to 3K doing 65 mph., the vehicle slowed down to 45 miles per hour and had no power.., I was able to pull over the shoulder and tried several times to re-start the car to no avail., I had the car towed to the nearest BMW dealership, and they diagnosed it as a bad high pressure fuel pump. They replaced the pump the same day, test drove it and everything is back to normal. The repair was covered under warranty, I sent the towing expenses to the BMW road side assistance for reimbursement., said it will take a few weeks to get it in the mail..

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 192016

335

Drive train malfunction has occurred twice in which the cars output is minimized. We were on one highway, connecting with another and went to accelerated to merge with traffic and the car would not accelerate. Top speed was 40mph. The second time we could at least do 65mph. Occurred 7/5/16 and 9/19/16

- Foxboro, MA, USA

Dec 082015

335

While parking car in usual parking lot at work, 8:30 am, turning wheels to left, car suddenly accelerated on it's own without any warning, causing car to jump over parking bumper, through concrete block wall and continued to Ram into private home, making home unsafe to enter. All this caused $14000, now, updated to $19000 damage to the car, not including the cost of damage to the wall and building. BMW dealership will not look into the accelerator cables etc...says it is not an issue with this incident. This should be investigated further as safety of occupants / pedestrians and other vehicles could be in jeopardy! P.S. we have not driven the car yet since it has been at the BMW body shop since December 8 2015. Car is second owned by us. We bought car at 6K miles and now has 10K miles. My wife is scared of getting behind the wheel and driving the car.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Apr 202014

335 6-cyl

Driving the vehicle on a highway with normal speed limit. Vehicle started to sputter and drivetrain malfunction warning light came on. Vehicle was losing power and speed decreasing quickly in the middle of the highway. I did have a chance to pull over safely on the shoulder. Wife and children was scared and so was I. had the vehicle towed to the nearest BMW dealers/service station. Diagnostics so far was bad fuel. Online forum suggested otherwise. Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Ladson, SC, USA

Mar 042013

335 4-cyl

The car has displayed "drivetrain malfunction, drive moderately" twice now in less than one year of ownership. When this display has occurred, the car goes into "limp mode" and can only be driven at low speeds or with very sluggish acceleration. This is a safety hazard, as it becomes easy to be rear-ended by another driver when it slows substantially.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 082014

335 4-cyl

Second problem with drivetrain malfunction, first problem back in Nov 2013 bought the car in August 2013.

- Oakley, CA, USA

Nov 012013

335 4-cyl

My car started shaking vigorously, and a message was displayed (drivetrain malfunction).

- Oakley, CA, USA

Feb 192014

335 6-cyl

"limp mode" is a very well known issue affecting 2012-2014 BMW 335I models with the M sport package. After accelerating from a stop to 60-65 mph, and merging into traffic, I experienced limp mode. The car would not accelerate, the rpms would not rise above 2500 or fall below 2000. The oil temperature was approximately 200 degrees. During the sudden loss of acceleration and power, no matter how hard or far I pushed the accelerator, the car would not accelerate- the car completely lost all power and the ability to accelerate. As I was coasting, I tried pumping the gas and shifting gears (shiftable automatic) to no avail. There were no warning lights on the dashboard or other warning messages displayed. While traffic zoomed past me, I coasted for a good 30-60 seconds gradually slowing to about 15 mph. After roughly 60 seconds, I pushed the accelerator down again and the car bucked, lurched and jumped and the rpms began to rise. I was able to accelerate normally again though the temperature did rise to roughly 240. I made an appointment immediately to have the car checked by my local BMW dealer. They replaced the aux cooling fan and applied a software update as is the case with "limp mode". this is the same "fix" applied to countless other 335I owners which simply doesn't work. My dealer opened a puma case with BMW to resolve the issue. Standard operating procedure is to replace the fan and apply a software update the first time, replace the fan relay the second time and apply a software update the third time. None of these work!! check F30 post, bimmer world and bimmer fest forums. Dealer was great, but I wanted them I will fight for a buyback if it happens again. Had this happened a few seconds later, while pulling out in front of cars traveling 65+ mph, I would not be here now. Recall this piece of crap!! when my lease is up or if I can get out of it, I will. Not safe.

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Jan 202014

335

The car would shake at idle and slow speeds. The drivetrain malfunction indicator came on.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Jan 202014

335

The car goes into "limp mode" while driving reducing power immediately. I was making a turn onto a street crossing a highway and my car went into this limp mode. I was almost hit due to the sudden loss of power. Symptoms: 1) loss of power and car will not rev. Past ~3,000 RPM (no fault codes on dash) 2) radiator electric cooling fan on max (very loud) 3) engine oil temp. Approx. 205 degf or lower (while limp mode is occurring, temp. Is usually not at normal operating temp of 245 degf) the problem goes away once car is turned off and back on (it resets). Many users have reported that it seems to happen after a long comfort mode drive on the freeway followed by city driving and switching to sport mode. Repair attempts: 1) auxiliary electric cooling fan replacement (mounted to the radiator and fan shroud) - biggest culprit (the fan is tested directly and will fail the test but may or may not have a fault code stored in the ECU) 2) fan relay replacement 3) thermostat replacement 4) dme replacement with software update as far as we can tell, there is no sib yet but plenty of puma cases have been filed. A few people have had their cars bought back and replaced by BMW. Please look here www.F30post.com/forums/showthread.php?T=786475 there are 50 pages of this and BMW is not helping.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Nov 022013

335

Transmission problem resulting in violent shuddering of the vehicle body and abrupt engine stops resulting in dangerous driving conditions. Fluctuations in the tachometer when the car attempted to stop and the car would automatically change gears to neutral or park.

- Iselin, NJ, USA

Jul 192013

335

As I was approaching the on ramp for the highway, I sped up in order to merge into oncoming traffic. I depressed the gas pedal completely to the floor but the car picked up extremely slowly as if it did not have any power. I also noticed at the same time that my engine temperature seemed to be unusually low for a vehicle that had been running for over an hour. There had also been an extremely loud fan noise that would come on every 2 minutes or so. As a result of the lack of power, I nearly caused a collision between myself and the vehicle behind me because the oncoming vehicle did not anticipate someone merging onto the highway at such a slow pace. I continued to drive without power for about 20 minutes as if the car was a naturally aspirated vehicle even though it was clearly turbo charged but the turbo never kicked in. When I got off of the highway and was able to pull over to restart my vehicle, the car started to run as normal.

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Jun 132013

335

Auto start stop failure on automatic trans vehicle. Second time the engine has stalled and dropped into neutral in traffic while the auto start stop feature is active. Rather than starting back up as normal the engine throws an error code and forces the driver to manually turn the car off and back on again. Both incidents were at a stop light turning red to green.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Apr 182013

335

Auto start/stop function has malfunctioned before where when I take my foot off the brake, the car doesn't start again. Normally I can just press the start button and put it in drive. This time, however, I went to start it again after it had an "auto start/stop malfunction", and it wouldn't turn back on. An error popped up saying "ignition malfunction -- do not turn engine off. Car will not start again." Currently waiting to hear back from the dealership after I had to flatbed it. Also the car wouldn't go into neutral so they had to drag it on the flatbed.

- Ada, MI, USA

Mar 042013

335 6-cyl

As per BMW, 5140 read fault memory, connected battery charger fault code 2A9A,31002A9B, ran test plan, upon inspection, noted front bolt had been pulled free and threads stripped, this common with an engine over rev.(damaging internal engine components. This was later confirmed through diagnostic readouts performed by bmwna tse via computer. As per BMW technical support engineer, disassemble and reassembled complete engine to inspect damage, all exhaust valve hit the top of the pistons, crankshaft tread are stripped out along with the center bolt. Metal got into engine block which will result in further engine problem with oil passages and oil pump. Recommend complete engine. Cus decided to not proceed with repair. BMW is mail attachments. **customer goodwill diagnosis courtesy of dch midland diagnosis approved by BMW tse** no repair performed as per customer necessary repairs not covered under BMW warranty as vehicle was over revved... car is brand new 2013 with 5,140 miles 335is. I have been working this one around in my head and I can't seem to come up with anything... crank bolts just don't loosen by themselves and even still, the computer recorded an over-rev event which you can't just "do". you have to mechanically force an over-rev, and even till, the dme records time since the event happened, so if it happened months ago, it should be recorded that way (if it even records that far back).

- Stamford , CT, USA