2014 BMW 428 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 BMW 428:

2014 BMW 428 Owner Comments

Jun 192016

On June 19th 2016 I was driving my 2014 bmw428I with 5200 miles on the odometer. As I approached a red light signal I began to apply the brakes slowing to 5-10 mph.instead of coming to a stop the vehicle became energized and began surging forward. I applied as much pressure as possible to the brake pedal but to no avail as the vehicle continued its surge forward until it struck the stopped vehicle ahead of me. Luckily no damages, no injuries on Monday June 20th I took the vehicle to the dealership and they told me that they would "check it out". later that day they called and said the vehicle was in perfect condition. A few minutes later I received a call from bmwna asking me for the details of this incident. They stated that my vehicle was to remain at the dealership until a specialist could run more tests on the vehicle.his test results would be sent to bmwna to be evaluated by the engineering group. As the days and weeks went by I sent several E-mails to my case worker at bmwna asking about the status of my idled vehicle still sitting at the dealership. Some of my E-mails were ignored. Finally on August 22nd 2016, two months later, bmwna informed me by E-mail that the test results showed no defects and no malfunctions had ever occurred. I have since learned that many BMW models experience brake failures. This is a dangerous situation that BMW is aware of as it goes back a number of years. However they choose to be in denial putting drivers and others at risk.

- Dennis, MA, USA

Apr 192015

Car surging and caused accident, very dangerous. According to dot recall notice, car may have bad fuel pump that caused irregular and unsafe acceleration.

- Calabasas, CA, USA

Jul 122014

428 4-cyl

Driving down a neighborhood road with my wife as a passenger on July 12 and going at about 25 miles an hour approaching the traffic light at a busy intersection, I noticed that my two-weeks old brand new BMW was not slowing down although I made several attempts to stop it by using the foot pedal to brake. The closer I got to the car in front of me, I continued to attempt to stop the car but it failed and I ended up hitting the car in front of me. Fortunately, the person in the car that I hit was not injured and neither were we. I immediately notified the BMW dealership and they ended up picking up the car on July 14. Two days later they called me back to let me know that they had thoroughly checked the car and found nothing wrong with it. I insisted that they needed to continue evaluating the car and advised them that I would prefer for them to perform additional diagnostic testing, since we have owned the car for 2 weeks and had no prior warning of any malfunction. They continued evaluating the car and found nothing wrong so they contacted BMW na. On July 22, I was contacted by BMW na to get a full account of the incident and to let me know that they were going to send a specialist to look at the car and conduct some testing. On July 31st I was contacted by BMW na to let me know that the report had been submitted by the specialist and that the car is in perfect condition and the brakes are working as they should. I requested a written statement from BMW certifying that the car is in optimal condition, safe to drive, and has no defects. I also requested a copy of the report produced by the specialist but BMW na informed me there was no report available. They did agree to send the written statement by regular mail which will take 5-7 days. This seems to be a major safety concern which puts drivers at a high risk of getting hurt or hurting someone else, scary!

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Apr 042014

428 4-cyl

I was at a stop waiting to enter freeway, had my foot on the break pedal and my 428I started accelerating on its own. I was very scared since it would not stop and nearly rammed into the vehicle in front of me. I started honking so vehicle in front would move forward. I put emergency break (hand break) and car on park. Smoke was coming out of the sides of the vehicle. I'm so blessed to have been at a stop and not on freeway at time this happened. I did contact sos and vehicle was towed back to dealership where purchase was made. No update yet; service department is waiting on instructions from BMW. Major safety concern; manufacturer defect which puts many drivers and passengers at risk of an auto collision, injury, and death.

- Hacienda Heights , CA, USA