5.3

2014 BMW 435 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 BMW 435:

2014 BMW 435 Owner Comments

Jul 152016

435

The contact owns a 2014 BMW 435I. While driving 35 mph on a two lane road during inclement weather, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was on a winding road and was able to coast over to the side of the road, which was extremely difficult. A warning light flashed for a drive train malfunction. The vehicle was unable to be driven and was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump assembly needed to be replaced. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V189000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000. Updated 09/28/16

- Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Jul 012016

435

I was driving in a city residential area, going about 35 mph when the car stopped after sputtering a couple of times. No warning at all but there was a message on the dash, "drive train malfunction". I coasted to the side of the road, a grassy area just barely off the paved road. It was located on a curve. At the time, there was a thunderstorm with lightning and heavy rain. We were extremely lucky that that the car was not hit by traffic coming up behind me. BMW mechanics replaced the fuel pump.

- Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Mar 042016

435

Even though the recalls were issued in May 2015 I have not received any recall notice for this car.on the other hand I have had no problems.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Oct 232015

435

10/15/2015 car serviced for recall - fuel pump issue 10/23/2015 - while driving on highway at approximately 70mph car engine suddenly stopped. I pushed down my clutch (manual transmission) and was able to roll onto the left shoulder. Had to be towed to nearest BMW dealer. Car "repaired" and I picked it up one week later. 11/4/2015 while driving on highway at about 55 mph car engine again suddenly stopped and I coasted onto right shoulder. I was able to restart car about 15 minutes later. Brought car to my local dealer for repair. Dealer advised problem was discovered with fuel system and repaired. 12/16/2015 while driving in very heavy traffic car overheated and I had to pull off highway. Message on my screen advised to call roadside assistance. I ignorded that and waited for engine to cool and traffic to flow. I then restarted car and made it back home. Car went in for repair next day. Dealer advised problem was solved.

- Essex Fells, NJ, USA

Jan 202015

435

On two occasions, January 2015 and May 2015 my 435I stopped while I was driving without any warning whatsoever. The first time I was crossing a very busy 3 lane northbound road to get to the left turn lane when without any warning the car just stopped. They was no engine light on dash. I was lucky that I was not hit as I didn't even have the opportunity to brake, to indicate to drivers behind me that I was slowing down. The lights, chassis stabilization and drivetrain malfunction came on the dash. Two pretty serious problems without any prior warning, a police officer got the car started and I was able to drive about another mile before again it just stopped. Warnings about the fuel injection and engine overheat came on in addition to drivetrain and chassis stabilization. The car was towed to the local BMW dealer whosaid they needed to reprogram the computer. After this I drove the car for another 3 months and 2,000 miles when it happen again. I boarded a car ferry after driving 100 miles on a major highway. When I stated the car todisembark, it shut down and all 4 warnings all came up at once. I got it started and got off the ferry when it shut down again. All I could think of was how lucky I was it didn't happen while was during at 65mph on the highway. Again towed to BMW who told me again the computer needed to be reprogrammed and a fan changed. I don't believe them. There are recalls on cars with the same problems for faulty plating on the fuel pump. I do not feel safe driving this car. I am afraid of it stopping not only on a major highway but any roadway and being hit from behind as there is no braking to indicate to drivers behind you that you are stopping. Once it shuts down you can't start it. So you are stuck wherever you are. A very dangerous situation.

- Brooklyn , NY, USA