2006 BMW 525 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 525:

2006 BMW 525 Owner Comments

Nov 162013

525 6-cyl

I bought the car it had an oil leak, radiator leak, developed an air bag malfunction, the engine stopped running, tar is accumulating on top of the sunroof every time I open it, the heater fan makes noise, the transmission makes noise after four attempts it is still leaking oil. All of my friends who own BMW's have also had air bag malfunctions. None were part of the recall, all paid $1,300 to have it fixed. BMW should have recalled all of them. The purpose of recalling some is to avoid a total recall. They are building their cars with inferior parts so that they do not last for more than 60,0000 before major problems occur. One of my friends has spent over $10,000 on repairs to his 2004 X3.

- Huntington Station, NY, USA

Jan 082014

Bought from manager at BMW service department w/89,920 on 10/25/13. 2 overheated broke down on 11/29/13 on January 7 rarely park in driveway, pull up on driveway with an incline at my home. Car was placed in park but sorta did not catch gear right, felt a rollback so I engaged my E-brake. Did not want to release key, so I get stuff at house and resumed inspection of vehicle, car did not start. So I attempted to remove out of park, to no avail, then after off and on attempts it changed gears. Screen said gear change without brake possible. Took it in they said had to replace guide plate and solenoid for $1250 I have 4 kids and a wife I love, we are always in vehicle, I feel my families safety is violated for being exposed to a potential dangerous episode. Did research parking pawl guide plate has recall. Exact to my problem dealership acknowledges it but claims that my car ain't because recalls on V8 models. Only had car for short time frame. Feel scammed, paid 14600 w/ taxes from bank loan and now I'm stuck with a lemon! help!!??

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 072011

On start-up from a near stop the transmission jerked hard back into first gear. Felt as if someone had hit me from the rear end. This has happened repeatedly and is very disturbing, causing unfamiliar reactions from the driver and passenger. Could cause an accident.

- Roanoke, VA, USA