2006 BMW 525 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 525:

2006 BMW 525 Owner Comments

Mar 012015

Air conditioning stop work causing motor to heat

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Jun 042013

The 2006 BMW 5 series used aluminum head and valve cover bolts which were over-torqued during assembly and break after approximately 80K. BMW admits this problem exists but refuses to issue a recall. BMW's repair cost is ~$6000. These bolts are non serviceable and should never be removed, when broken they cause massive oil leaks and possibly fire. I contacted BMW, they requested to review the car. BMW agreed that the bolts were broken then refused to fix the problem claiming the car has too many miles. BMW knew the mileage when they requested to review the problem... why waste my time if they knew they were going to do nothing? my vehicle now losses approximately 1-2 quarts of oil per 100 miles. I am chagrined that BMW will not admit their manufacturing defect. I have maintained this car with care and other than the oil leak from the broken bolts the car is in perfect condition - but is no longer drivable.

- Agoura Hills, CA, USA

Nov 162013

525 6-cyl

I bought the car it had an oil leak, radiator leak, developed an air bag malfunction, the engine stopped running, tar is accumulating on top of the sunroof every time I open it, the heater fan makes noise, the transmission makes noise after four attempts it is still leaking oil. All of my friends who own BMW's have also had air bag malfunctions. None were part of the recall, all paid $1,300 to have it fixed. BMW should have recalled all of them. The purpose of recalling some is to avoid a total recall. They are building their cars with inferior parts so that they do not last for more than 60,0000 before major problems occur. One of my friends has spent over $10,000 on repairs to his 2004 X3.

- Huntington Station, NY, USA

Nov 052013

I bought a used BMW from long island auto find. Before picking it up I told nick certain things needed to be done there was a drafty sound coming from the moon roof the center rims were corroded, bolts were missing from the valve cover. I was called three days in a row by nick who claimed everything was done and the car was ready to be picked up. When I got the re not only was the battery dead, nothing on my list was done! I have since had the car 5 month and I has been in the shop 5 weeks so far. Passenger side air bag malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. There was an oil leak that caused my eyes to water and leaves a funny taste in my mouth. This took three different attempts to fix. The car moves from side to side at 65 mph. The car just died while taking my wife to work. I brought it to the shop it did it on the mechanic but he could not determine the cause. He said it was safe to take to Florida which is the reason I bought it. It stalled in Florida while entering an intersection then again in Delaware at 3:30 in the morning and 13 degrees! and again on the bqe as three lanes of traffic merged into one.I have 2 friends with the same car they were charged $1300 to fix the "air bag malfunction"everyone should be reimbursed. I am told the gaskets become brittle and leak. All of these issue's should be part of a recall.

- Huntington, NY, USA

Jan 082014

Bought from manager at BMW service department w/89,920 on 10/25/13. 2 overheated broke down on 11/29/13 on January 7 rarely park in driveway, pull up on driveway with an incline at my home. Car was placed in park but sorta did not catch gear right, felt a rollback so I engaged my E-brake. Did not want to release key, so I get stuff at house and resumed inspection of vehicle, car did not start. So I attempted to remove out of park, to no avail, then after off and on attempts it changed gears. Screen said gear change without brake possible. Took it in they said had to replace guide plate and solenoid for $1250 I have 4 kids and a wife I love, we are always in vehicle, I feel my families safety is violated for being exposed to a potential dangerous episode. Did research parking pawl guide plate has recall. Exact to my problem dealership acknowledges it but claims that my car ain't because recalls on V8 models. Only had car for short time frame. Feel scammed, paid 14600 w/ taxes from bank loan and now I'm stuck with a lemon! help!!??

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 132013

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525xi. The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited an oil leak. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic, who determined that the engine cylinder head was fractured and causing the oil leak. The contact called the manufacturer but was provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- San Jose, CA, USA