2006 BMW 525 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 525:

2006 BMW 525 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Feb 262014

525

The passenger seat airbag malfunctioned casing the seat to have to be removed and sensor replaced. There was a recall on this but my car, and 2 of my friends cars were not included on the recall, my friends were charged by the dealership. My engine leaks oil onto the exhaust manifold causing smoke in the cab and potential fire hazard. On every bm I have ever owned the radiator leaks fluid which is environmentally hazardous and should have been recalled.

- Huntington Station, NY, USA

Nov 152016

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525xi. While an occupant was seated in the front passenger seat, the air bag and seat belt warning indicators illuminated, indicating that the air bags and seat belt were inoperable. The dealer diagnosed that the passenger seat detection mat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 300,000.

- St. Joseph, MI, USA

Sep 072016

525

I get seat belt/airbag communication fault

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA

May 112016

525

Seatbelt not retracting and warning light stating seatbelt and airbag may not function in crash. Initially intermittent but now steady warning lights. * extreme fading of paint on hood, roof, deck lid.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Nov 092016

525

I have a 2006 BMW 525I and receiving pass. Restaint system malfunction affecting the airbag. This is a problem BMW should service as they are famous for these malfunctions. It is dangerous and its ruins the integrity of the vehicle.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Jan 012016

525

The front passenger air bag warning light flashed and suddenly remained illuminated. It is related to the campaign #13V564000. I contacted BMW and was told that my vehicle is not included in the recall for this campaign. I believe it should be as my symtoms are the same as listed in the campaign.

- Skillman, NJ, USA

Jun 252016

525

Vehicle was in motion during these events. Electric warning malfunction, alert passenger restraint system malfunction. A message right low beam headlight was malfunctioning. Electronic control sudden malfunction of the windshield wipers.

- Yazoocity, MS, USA

Mar 212016

525 6-cyl

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525xi. The contact stated that the front passenger air bag warning light flashed and suddenly remained illuminated. The dealer and the manufacturer had been notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V564000 (air bags). The failure mileage was not available. Updated 06/14/16

- Waukee, IA, USA

Sep 012015

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525xi. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The dealer diagnosed that the frontal air bag sensor module experienced a failure. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V564000 (air bags). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was notified that the warranty period was expired. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Sevn Hills, OH, USA

Jan 122016

525

My passenger air bag warning light came on about a month ago for apparent reason and stay on ever since. I contacted the local BMW dealer and was told my VIN was not on the recall list. I was very disappointed and dont understand why some cars were on the recall and some were not. Apparently this is a common problem with all bmws and a very serious safety issue. This safety issue should be taken care of by the manufacture.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Sep 152015

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525I. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, the passenger side air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V564000 (air bags). The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Fort Washington, PA, USA

Nov 202015

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525I. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag light remained illuminated on the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 162,000.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Nov 022015

525

Air bag restraint system failure.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

May 182015

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525xi. While driving 25 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The contact stated that the failure occurred more than once. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 202015

525

Passenger airbag faults has shown up on my 2006 BMW 525I. This is the 2nd time it shows up. The front passenger airbag is deactivated with this fault and will not protect passenger in case of an accident. First time, I had to fix it myself because my VIN was not included in the voluntary recall notice sent by BMW. Now it is happening for the 2nd time. I had it check at a service station and it is because of another issue in the same system. Each repair costs approx. $1000. BMW North America has to take responsibility for this.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Apr 272015

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525I. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag and seat belt light continuously illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the technician diagnosed that the battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Temple, TX, USA

Jan 122015

525

Passenger restraint system fault light has started showing on my BMW, there has been a recall reported on the same component "statement on voluntary recall involving front passenger seat sensor mat on U.S.a. model bmws - August 13, 2008". I have the same problem but my VIN is not showing up in the recall. I took the car to dealer and dealer says its exactly the same part but I am not covered under recall warranty.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 182014

525 6-cyl

My car is not on the airbag recall list but I have had this error for awhile now & it appears to be related to the airbag issue (not sure if my car has a tekata.) the message comes up on the screen- pass. Restraint system- fault in passenger-restraint system affecting airbag, belt tensioner or belt force limiter. Continue to wear the safety belt. I also have a picture of the error.

- Miami Springs, FL, USA

Feb 032014

525 6-cyl

Front passenger airbag is deactivated due to the front seat sensor mat malfunction. Alarm lights up on instrument cluster as well as the idrive service section. Vehicle is out of warranty. Dealers are asking for $400 to diagnose the issue. They claim the issue is common but my specific vehicle is not affected by the recall. BMW usa cannot help as they want an official diagnosis and stands by their position that my car is not affected by the recall or what ever term they like to use.

- Boca, FL, USA

Aug 252014

525

The passenger restraint system alarm came on for the first time while sitting in a parking lot. BMW says that my vehicle, a 2006 BMW 525xi is not captured under the current recall 13V564000, which fixes this problem.

- Manayunk , PA, USA