2.5

2008 BMW 528 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 528:

2008 BMW 528 Owner Comments

Mar 062016

528

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 528I. The contact stated that the vehicle vibrated severely after shifting into drive and the power train was not operational. After the third attempt to operate the vehicle, it shifted into neutral independently and the "service vehicle, no power train was detected" warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 29,000.

- Kendall Park, NJ, USA

Feb 232015

528 6-cyl

I live in the state of Virginia. I have been experiencing the same issues with my 2008 BMW for about a month now. My coworker has the same year make and model, and is also experiencing or has experienced the same issues. We both have had our cars in the shop at the same time and the vehicles are now repaired. The issue with the vehicle is it begins to stall as driving which is dangerous in our area for traffic. The car will not pick up speed while driving and you can not go over 10 miles per hour. The car also jerks. The problems with both our vehicles were the same ; oil leak, a transmission leak, and a problem with the cylinders not working as connected to the spark plugs. As I previously stated this is an extremely dangerous driving conditions. And times when you need to accelerate the car stalls which almost causes the car behind you to run into you.the maintenance for my car was 3200 dollars at the dealership. My coworker took her car to an import repair shop and over the course of 2 times, she ended up spending about 1200 plus dollars. Please look into this matter as I don't think people are reporting it to the right authority.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

May 142013

528 8-cyl

On or about May 2013 I was traveling at 60mph on the freeway when suddenly I heard a loud bang sound and my vehicle came to an automatic stop. Scared as vehicle behind me screeched and turn away avoiding me. I remained in the middle of the road for approximately 30 minutes before the vehicle restarted and I traveled fearfully to complete my assignment. Same day on my return home vehicle stopped about 3 times but I drove straight to dealership. Without inspecting my vehicle I was told my alternator and battery was gone. I was quoted very high amount but something told me a bad alternator and battery would not start a vehicle so I offered to take my vehicle home. My vehicle stayed home for about 4 months without use only warm ups reverse and park. I did extensive research to avoid the frivolous amount the dealers quoted and found that the integrated module (ivm) was bad. I got it for $144 and replaced it and problem was fixed after 4 months. Until April 2014 I drove the out to work and barely two miles away from home I stopped at a traffic light and when released the vehicle sounded a huge banged sound this with transmission malfunction light active brake lights and several other lights on dash board. Once again I survived being ran over in the early morning rush. Took vehicle to BMW dealership. Told gear shifter was bad and replaced for $915 and thereafter I received a call the transmission was out. I was advised cost will be $15000 then later that it cannot be fixed and advice to sale it as is to some guy. I owe $17900 on vehicle. Called BMW North America to complain was told new transmission cost $9200 and I'm asked to pay $7400 best deal. There's no reason for transmission on 2008 to go out. Since dealers took my car they gave me a rental for 4 days and took it from me but kept my vehicle for additional 2 weeks and are still holding it calling to accept deal.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 012014

528 6-cyl

For the past 8 months, my car, a 2008 BMW 528I slips out of drive (D) into park (P) as I was backing up & moving forward either from a parking position or as I begin to accelerate from a stop. The gear shift would go from (D) into (P) and cause the car to jerk to a rapid stop. It makes a horrible noise as it grinds to a stop. It requires me to put it back into park and turn it off sometimes and then start it again. I thought I might be doing something wrong until I read all these other posts so I haven't reported it til now. This creates a dangerous situation and I always start slow now fearful that it will jump into P at a higher rate of speed. I could be in a parking lot or anywhere, moving backward or forward when this happens.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Jan 152014

528 6-cyl

For the past month, my car, a 2008 BMW 528 I (automatic) would slip out of reverse (R) into park (P) as I was accelerating backward from a dead stop. The steptronic gear shift mechanism would do this approximately 30% of the time, and cause the car to jerk to a stop. It would require me to put it back into drive and start again. Eventually as I keep driving and I'm at a stop light or sitting idle, the "transmission malfunction" message would pop up on my lcd and then the gear would go into neutral and stop driving all together. This created a dangerous situation, as sometimes I was in an intersection when this occurred. The gear shift mechanism is faulty!

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jan 132014

528

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 528I. The contact stated that while in reverse, the vehicle stalled and the vehicle independently shifted into park. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic for diagnostic testing and was advised that there was a leak and crack in the transmission oil pan and the electronic sleeve. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Aug 142013

528 6-cyl

For the past month, my car, a 2008 BMW 528 ix (automatic) would slip out of drive (D) into park (P) as I was accelerating forward from a dead stop. The electronic gear shift mechanism would do this approximately 10% of the time, and cause the car to jerk to a stop. It would require me to put it back into drive and start again. At first I thought I might be doing something wrong, so I didn't report it immediately. However, it kept happening. This created a dangerous situation, as sometimes I was in an intersection when this occurred. A few weeks later (before I had chance to take it in for service), the gear shift stopped working completely, and the car would not shift into gear at all. The gear shift mechanism is an electronic part, not a mechanical connection. I called BMW, and they said the part was not covered by any warranty or recall (the car was 5K miles out of warranty). I had to pay for the repair, a $1300 expense.

- Fairfield , CT, USA

Jun 132013

528 6-cyl

Driving about to parking when the car just stop working completely my children and I where stranded in the middle of the street. Then it would turn on but I was unable to put gear in drive or reverse. Had it towed we thought it was the transmission because transmission light went on but took it to a repair shop the tech stated that it was not the transmission but the problem could possibly be the shifter.

- San Bernardino , CA, USA

Sep 062011

528 6-cyl

Transmission failed on two occasions. First time was on interstate 95. The car stalled in middle of traffic and I was lucky in pulling car onto shoulder. Warning message came on to indicate a transmission failure and that the car should be taken to a BMW dealer to be fixed. When this occurs the car stalls and must be pulled over to the road shoulder. This electric transmission is problematic and a safety issue because when the car stalls you must be able to pull off the road; if not you could be killed, especially when traveling on the interstate. The car was taken to a BMW dealer to be fixed. However, the same transmission incident happened February 4, 2012 and I was caught in traffic nearly had an accident. This problem occurs at moderate and high speeds. My concern is that I could be killed if I am unable get the stalled car pulled to the shoulder off the road.

- Clinton, MD, USA

Jul 142010

528

BMW 535xi sport wagon 2008-.. driving on highway, icon came on above speedometer - orange engine/half black and on dashboard below navi readout "engine malfunction-reduced power." From then on we had no thrust with gas pedal. Car went in for service and was supposedly repaired. This then happened four more times. Each time the car was in the shop and parts were thrown at it and each time we were told the issue was probably fixed but they really did not know what the problem was. The car was in the shop about 30 days since the original incident. Parts replaced were vacuum hose black, vacuum pump, pressure sensor, removed and reinstalled throttle, replaced all vaccuum hoses on 7/14/10, charged battery 7/27.

- Southampton, NY, USA