1.9

2008 BMW 528 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 528:

2008 BMW 528 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 312013

528 6-cyl

Rear exterior lights(brake, tail, & turn signal) - melted wire assembly is causing malfunction. While driving I noticed a "burning" smell. Shortly thereafter, all at once my dash indicated that my passenger side tail light, brake light, and turn signal had simultaneously malfunctioned. The wiring harness that attaches to the light assembly is melted. BMW did a recall of over 2,500 3-series vehicles for the exact same issue but has not recalled the 5-series ("??") this is a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Apr 062013

528 6-cyl

On or about 25 May 2013, I started hearing a intermittent beeping sound inside the car, however there was no warning on the dash board screen therefore it was hard to trace the problem. The intermittent beeping would start and stop, while driving making me very nervous because I wasn't sure what was going to happen. The beeping sound changed to sound of something trying to reset itself like a reset pattern. Next on 6 Apr 2013, while inside a parking I thought I seen my right tail light blink on & off. Then on 8 Apr 2013, I notice my right tail was out, so I purchased and installed a new tail bulb but it didn't fix the problem. After researching, I found it was led problem and could only be fixed by a BMW shop. The BMW manual suggested taking the car to the BMW dealership, on 16 Apr 2013 I took the car to I.G. burton that's when their inspection found " right rear tail light is out ( found that ground wire is burnt and bulb holder is burnt) recommend replacing bulb holder and ground wire. It cost me $374.48 to have the problem fixed.

- Dover, DE, USA

Mar 302012

528 6-cyl

The warning came on that the right rear tail light malfunctioned. Within the next few days the warning went away but then came back intermittently and also stated that the right rear brake light and turn signal had malfunctioned. These warnings go on and off so my husband pulled the housing for the light out and discovered the connector plug and housing had melted because the brown wire was burnt and melted. So he went to the dealer ship to get another housing unit and new connector to fix the problem. And a few months later the other side had the same issue and he replaced it as well... now both are burnt again. I called the dealer ship to take my car in for this issue and they want $140 to look at it and they said they have not heard of this issue before. This is a safety issue and now that I look online it looks like a lot of people with this year, make and model have the same thing going on. This needs to be a recall. I feel like this will keep happening since both have been replaced already and it's happening again. Something is wrong.

- Buford, GA, USA

Apr 192013

528 6-cyl

Failure of the right rear tail light assembly due to the grounding wire connector (inside the 8 pin connector which attaches to 8 pin receiver on the light) melting which rendered the brake light, turn signal, reverse light, and lightning inoperative. Also resulted in the light assembly needing replacement. As connection was failing, the ground connection was likely intermittent leading to lighting malfunction warning indications on dash and intermittent operation of right rear lights, dimmed brightness of right rear lights. The intermittent operation/failure reduces the ability to warn other cars/drivers of my car's intentions. Could result in vehicle rear end collisions. My failure mode seems very similar to NHTSA 11V438000 recall for certain BMW 3 series models. Pictures available if needed.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Feb 012013

528 6-cyl

Left turn signal, brake light & backup light stopped working. Upon inspection, found that the wiring harness connector to the left lighting assembly was discolored and slightly distorted at the ground conductor. Around half of the ground conductor on the mating plug of the lighting assembly had deteriorated away.

- Beverly Hills, MI, USA

Nov 152012

528 6-cyl

I turned my car on and it instantly notified me that my taillight was out. Then I stepped out and tapped the taillight and it went back on then I took it to the dealership the next day now they are saying the connectors are burnt and they want me to pay 200$ to repair something that the manufacture should of corrected and perfected this is ridiculous hope someone helps me.

- Hillside, NJ, USA

Sep 032012

528

Warning came on that the right rear tail light malfunctioned. Within the next few days the warning went away but then came back intermittently and also stated that the right rear brake light and turn signal had malfunctioned. These warnings were intermittent. About a week later the signals came on every time the car was driven. I looked at the lighting housing and discovered that both the plug and housing had melted due to a brown wire. I will be taking the car to the shop tomorrow to get fixed but it seems more damage could have been done unless I discovered the existence of the problem.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Aug 032012

528

The 8 pin connector to the right rear light assembly melted. Turn signal, brake light stopped working one wire seems corroded.

- Paterson, NJ, USA

Jun 202012

528 6-cyl

The grounding wire in the connector to the tail light bulb holder melted and melted parts of the connector. This resulted in no signal, brake and running rear lights. A recall has been called for BMW E46 3 series for this exact problem. The recall should be expanded to cover the 5 series as well.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 012012

- Torrance, CA, USA

May 302012

528

The 8 pin connector to the rear light assembly melted. Turn signal, brake light stopped working while I was driving on the freeway.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Feb 172012

528

Ground wire for passenger side tail light burned up. Ground wire, both sides of electrical connector, and tail light bulb holder all burned up. Passenger side brake light, tail light, turn signal and back up light do not function at all. Improperly rated fuse did not blow before circuit burned up and melted. This circuit is not designed correctly. This is a safety hazard to myself and anyone driving behind me. Car model is a 2008 528I.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Apr 112011

528 6-cyl

Ground wire for passenger side tail light burned up. Ground wire, both sides of electrical connector, and tail light bulb holder all burned up. Passenger side brake light, tail light, turn signal and back up light do not function at all. Improperly rated fuse did not blow before circuit burned up and melted. This circuit is not designed correctly. This is a safety hazard to myself and anyone driving behind me. Car model is a 2008 528xi.

- Lawton, MI, USA