3.3

2011 BMW 528 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW 528:

2011 BMW 528 Owner Comments

Sep 152016

528

I just had fuel supply problem with my 2011 BMW 528I. My wife drove the vehicle to work and left it parked in the morning. When she wanted to go for lunch, the car would not start although the engine cranked and the battery was fine. The onboard system displayed the fuel supply warnings message. Trying to start the car for a couple of hours without any luck, we had to call in aaa to tow the car to the dealer shop for repair. After a couple of hours struggling to set the transmission to netural, we managed to get the car to the dealer shop. Right after we unloaded the car from the tow truch, it started to work normally. We left the car at the BMW service for diagnositic. But after two days of checking, they could not find anything. Everything seemed normal. They recommended me to replace the battery although they do not believe the battery was the cause. The fuel pump was just replaced a few months ago. So it's probably not the cause either (confirmed by the complete check performed by BMW dealer service). If it's due to the control module as mentioned in another case 10715571, it's a terrible flaw that shall be investigated.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 302014

528

I am experiencing an intermittent problem with the fuel supply system. After getting nowhere with the local dealership, I escalated the matter to BMW of North America, but they declined to assist. I feel they are not taking the matter seriously and my safety is at risk. I have had to take the car in for service repeatedly related to this problem: I drive the vehicle to work and leave it parked. When I come back to leave for lunch, the car won't start although the engine cranks and the battery is fine. The onboard system displays the same fuel supply warnings. After hours of repeated attempts (or up to a day later in one instance), the car does eventually start. (all of this can be confirmed independently. I took photos/videos to show the BMW technicians, and roadside assistance sent tow trucks.) the first time it happened, the local BMW dealership attributed it to a faulty control module, said it was a "computer glitch" and claimed to fix it by reprogramming it. The second time they told me it was the same control module, but this time they replaced it with a new one. I asked the service advisor if it could be the fuel pump instead but he said they tested it and it was fine. The day after I picked up my car, the problem happened for the third time. The dealership contacted BMW of North America and was told to replace the fuel pump. I asked for an explanation but they couldn't provide one. I then contacted BMW of North America directly but they refused to inspect the car or even provide an explanation for the previous repair attempts. If the fuel supply problem is due either to the control module or the fuel pump, then these parts appear to be prone to failure even when new (in the case of the newly replaced control module) or tested as working fine (in the case of the fuel pump). If it is due to something else, then we should find out what it is.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

May 092011

528 6-cyl

The vehicle has a significant delay in acceleration that occurs primarily after (I) the vehicle has slowed down to a speed between 18 mph and 24 mph; (II) a full stop (although it is intermittent following a full stop) and (III) sudden surges of acceleration. The acceleration delay is most noticeable when moderate acceleration is desired. The pedal can be depressed nearly fully with no noticeable acceleration for a short period. After the delay the car will accelerate, often in a surge. From a full stop acceleration is often a jerky affair. The acceleration issues significantly compromise safety due to the unexpected vehicle performance, both with the acceleration delay and the sudden surge of acceleration that occurs after about a second to a second and a half after the accelerator has been depressed. Often times when merging into traffic the vehicle has been nearly hit as a result of the acceleration delay. Likewise, it is nearly impossible to make a left turn until a road is empty as I have no idea how long it will take to cross opposing traffic.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA