2012 BMW 528 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 BMW 528:

2012 BMW 528 Owner Comments

Jan 122014

While driving in metro detroit last night my 2012 BMW 528I xdrive suddenly flashed a "fuel system malfunction" message, lurched and came to a dead stop just past the intersection of novi road and 10 mile. I was two miles from the expressway and my wife and children were with me in the car. Had I made it to I-96 - just two miles up the road - and this happened, we very likely would have been involved in a major accident. Police were called because I was in the middle of the street. The car was electronically locked. I could not put the car in neutral to move it out of the roadway. BMW service finally managed to get the car towed 8 hours later because few tow trucks lacked the equipment needed to move the car without damage. There is no manual override to allow you to put the car in neutral, it can only be accessed by a service tech underneath the car. My service advisor was well aware of the problem. This is a major hazard and huge design flaw. There is no mechanical linkage to either the start/stop button or the shifter. It's all electronically controlled. I shudder to think what would have happened had the car stalled on the interstate. Now I'm stuck with a car I don't feel safe driving.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA