2005 BMW 530 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 BMW 530:

2005 BMW 530 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 102016

The contact owns a 2005 BMW 530I. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag warning indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 134,000.

- Southern Pines, NC, USA

Jan 182016

My idrive showed a message indicating that the airbag in the passenger side was deactivated because of a sensor or similar issue. I took this to the dealer, asked for it to be covered under the previous service bulletin which indicated the seat mat sensor was defective. The dealership indicated they would not fix it. I contacted BMW North America and they said they might fix it if I paid for the assessment. The assessment suggested there was a defect in different sensor. And suggested that a battery cable should be replaced. All other systems in the car works fine. Both BMW and the dealer refused to fix this issue. There have been no other reported cases of the battery cable actually causing the airbags to be deactivated. Today, the airbag is still not working, and BMW has refused to fix the problem.

- Portland, OR, USA

Mar 252016

The contact owns a 2005 BMW 530I. The SRS warning light illuminated. The vehicle was diagnosed, but not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 192,000.

- Marion, MA, USA

Sep 012015

The contact owns a 2005 BMW 530I. The vehicle was repaired under an extended warranty through the manufacturer. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, the passenger side air bag warning indicator was consistently illuminated. The failure recurred each time the vehicle was driven. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the front passenger seat occupant detection mat was faulty and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V564000 (air bags) because the vehicle was previously repaired under the manufacturer's extended warranty. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Fillmore, CA, USA

Jun 012015

I purchased the vehicle from someone. The passenger restraint system malfunction signal on computer has come on, the brake pad malfunction warning has also come on, along with the left brake light malfunction! I have tried to have BMW honor the warranty on the problem with the passenger restraint, to no avail! I have asked the service advisor several times, they are saying I needed to pay to have this done, although it was still under the terms of 10 year rule! the light and brakes are fine, however I can't figure out why the computer says otherwise, unless there are some undetermined problems. The brakes and sensor have been replaced! the light is working properly, yet the computers reading differently. I have asked on several different occasions about the passenger restraint, the female sales advisor states I have to pay for this!

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Nov 082015

Pss. Restraint system shows in main screen. Seat belt shows in the front screen. Im concer of its actually functionality.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Jun 132015

Passenger side air bag light and seat belt light are on again! took to dealer couple years ago during recall and it happen again (mat sensor)

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 152015

530 6-cyl

I have a 05 BMW 530I with sport package and I got an error with the passenger restrain system malfunction. In this situation the front passenger air bags will not deploy even if a sufficiently severe accident would occur and occupant protection provided by the system would not be possible. BMW did not want to take care of this comment and recall problem!!

- Monterey, CA, USA

Feb 102014

530 6-cyl

While BMW has recalled many 2005 BMW 530I sedans for the airbag concerns, my VIN is apparently not included in this list. I have contacted BMW directly, as well as many local service departments, with no avail. Both lights indicating seat belt and airbag malfunctions have been illuminated for over a year and I am very concerned that if a crash were to occur, the passengers in the vehicle would not be adequately protected. If there are air bag issues in some BMW 530I sedans, isn't it possible that others may have the same issue?

- Killeen, TX, USA

Mar 182015

530 6-cyl

On the morning of 3/18/2015 at 8 am. I started the car and received a passenger restraint system warning on the display. The car was parked in the garage.

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Mar 162015

The contact owns a 2005 BMW 5-series. The contact stated that the air bag and seat belt warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was determined that the front passenger seat sensor mat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V384000 (air bags). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 71,000.

- Evans, GA, USA

May 142014

I purchased my vehicle from a dealer on April 2014. Approximately a month later, the passenger frontal airbag automatically disabled and the light illuminated on the dashboard. The frontal passenger seatbelt also disabled and the light illuminated on the dashboard. The brake light is also illuminated. In June 2014, my car was hit by a F150 truck. The impact was so forceful, my car was knocked on the other side of the street. Non of the airbags deployed and there were injuries to the driver. My vehicle was repaired and I was informed by the mechanic that the lights illuminated on my dashboard were recalls and a known safety issue with my vehicle's make and model. I researched the information and did find recalls for the frontal airbag and frontal seatbelt. I contacted a BMW dealership a couple of times and I am told my VIN does not show any open recalls and the repairs will be out of pocket. These problems appears to be defects with the vehicle and a definite safety issue.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Oct 012014

530 6-cyl

Passenger side air bag failure message.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jul 012012

530 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 BMW 530I. The contact stated that the front passenger seat air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the passenger seat air bag sensor mat was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 08V384000 (front passenger seat occupant detection mat). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 71,000. Updated 8/27/14 updated 09/8/2014

- Lauderhill, FL, USA

Aug 142012

530 6-cyl

Front passenger seat occupant mat is malfunctioning in my 2005 BMW 530I. There was a recall in action number EA08001 in which BMW agreed to extend the warranty or complete the repair of the problem. When I went to the BMW service facility, they would only fix the issue if I paid. I called BMW usa and they told me that my specific VIN number is not included in the repair/extended warranty. Even though my vehicle is experiencing the problem, they tell me my VIN is not included. Therefore, my passenger seat airbags do not work. I reported this problem originally in 2012 to BMW.

- Lauderhill, FL, USA

Apr 302014

The contact owns a 2005 BMW 530I. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact heard a loud noise near the front driver's side wheel. The dealer could not duplicate the failure and did not state if the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 10V446000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The contact was unable to stop the vehicle in time when another vehicle suddenly maneuvered in her lane, which led to the contact crashing into the rear of the second vehicle. As a result, the contact sustained burns to the skin due to the contents that were released upon air bag deployment. Two passengers were also injured. A police report was filed and medical attention was received. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 145,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 142014

530 6-cyl

Hello, I've got an airbag light on the dashboard about two months ago on my BMW E60 530I 2005. The board computer it says: "passenger restraint system" malfunction. I went to the dealer in vegas and he took the light off, after one week it came out again. I'm wondering about myself safety and my passengers as well. I'm asking you to help me to fix that problem as sooner as possible. Thank you

- Bryce Canyon City, UT, USA

May 022014

530 6-cyl

2005 BMW 525I. Passenger seat air bag malfunction light illuminated. Took vehicle to independent mechanic for diagnosis. Conclusion from mechanic was that passenger air bag seat mat was broken per NHTSA action number EA08001. Took vehicle to irvine BMW for repair under extended seat mat warranty. Irvine BMW said that passenger seat mat did not cause malfunction. Repairs would cost $1,075. Repairs were declined because independent mechanic would charge $400. Irvine BMW charged a $170 diagnosis fee.

- Laguna Hills, CA, USA

Mar 082014

530 6-cyl

I've got an alert on the dashboard (passenger restrain system malfunction). I've heard that is a recall for this malfunctions. I want to check with you if my car is able for that. Thanks

- Bryce Canyon City, UT, USA

Jul 012013

530 6-cyl

Same issue as every other 2005 530I owner has had. My battery was low and needed replaced and after a new battery was purchased and installed the fault light came on the I-drive system for the airbag. BMW dealer refuses to do anything about it as my vehicle is not included in the recall.. I don't understand why when there are numerous complaints on a faulty system why this should not be repaired, obviously they know that the issue is there but do not want to spend the money to fix their issue. So much for the german engineered ultimate driving machine. With all of the technology comes all of the issues it would be nice to see a manufacturer stand behind their car for a change.......if I failed to make a payment they would have surely repossessed it......funny how we cannot get something from them when they fail.

- Clearwater, FL, USA