2.1

2006 BMW 530 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 530:

2006 BMW 530 Owner Comments

Sep 102013

530 6-cyl

The transmission has a harsh 2-1 shift down to stop. This happens at 5 mph and when the transmission is shifting from second gear to first gear. Sometimes it is mild sometimes it is very rough as to move you and your head in the seat, as if another car tapped into the back of the car. Sometimes the transmission will jerk while sitting at a traffic light or stop. I see reference to this phenomenon all over the web but when I approached a BMW service writer and explained this to him, he would not acknowledge that he was even aware of it. He would only say that they could look at my car but their policy is that they do not repair transmissions, they only replace them. So if there is any transmission operation out of the norm, it will be deemed for replacement. Did I still want them to look at it? a new transmission for my car is $8,000 and almost another $700 to program the computer to mate the new transmission with the car. Blue book on my car is $9,000, therefore you could say it's totaled! BMW needs to stand behind this problem as it is not an isolated case. When I put the transmission in M+S mode the 2-1 shift down does not occur but there are rougher shifts going up through the gears. Either way it is a trade off and neither is a satisfactory result.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Nov 162013

530 6-cyl

I bought the car it had an oil leak, radiator leak, developed an air bag malfunction, the engine stopped running, tar is accumulating on top of the sunroof every time I open it, the heater fan makes noise, the transmission makes noise after four attempts it is still leaking oil. All of my friends who own BMW's have also had air bag malfunctions. None were part of the recall, all paid $1,300 to have it fixed. BMW should have recalled all of them. The purpose of recalling some is to avoid a total recall. They are building their cars with inferior parts so that they do not last for more than 60,0000 before major problems occur. One of my friends has spent over $10,000 on repairs to his 2004 X3.

- Huntington Station, NY, USA

Dec 022012

530 6-cyl

A recent rain storm flooded the spare tire well compartment and fried all the electrical components stored underneath the tire. Luckily I wasn't driving the wagon that day and the car was parked on the driveway. Otherwise, the car would had shut down if it was moving and could cause an accident (happened to someone as discussed in the bimmer forum). Apparently, BMW have known about this safety issue as well as the sunroof drainage & tire well design defects for quite some time. They even generated a technical service/service information bulletin (sib54-06-06 & 61-13-06 on special roofs) for their service department to use. However, BMW keeps denying any damage liability and refusing to admit any design defects. BMW na, public relations and the sf BMW dealership responded to me that it is due to "external factors" (rains) and thereby they have no responsibility to the damaged vehicle. The service adviser told me that the repair cost would run into $15K. I am filing the said complaint and am seeking an attorney for a possible class action suit against BMW na.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Jun 012012

530 6-cyl

I noticed my car start to jerk or moving forward when I come to stop. This is very concern for me that I could cause to hit someone in front of me. Please help me. Thank you in advanced for your understand.

- King Of Prussia, PA, USA

Oct 142011

530 6-cyl

Very big leak on my garage floor. No dashboard sensor alerted me to this leak. Transmission mechatronics sleeve was leaking and had to be replaced along with the oil pan and transmission oil added. This is a serious safety issue and I have heard that this is common with the 500 series. This should be investigated.

- Portland, OR, USA

Mar 072011

530

On start-up from a near stop the transmission jerked hard back into first gear. Felt as if someone had hit me from the rear end. This has happened repeatedly and is very disturbing, causing unfamiliar reactions from the driver and passenger. Could cause an accident.

- Roanoke, VA, USA