2006 BMW 530 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 530:

2006 BMW 530 Owner Comments

Apr 212016

Internal headlight wiring insulation flaking off exposing copper wire causing failure of parking and daytime running lights and failure of the front headlight system as well as the risk of fire. Also having issues with intermittent cruise control, power ports and fan inside the car.

- Purvis, MS, USA

Feb 152016

The wiring ithin the xenon adaptive headlight assembly on the left and right side of the 2006 BMW 530I has extreme wiring insulation rot. The exposed wiring is extensive on all wires within the assembly on both sides with most of the wires now bare. This is creating a severe and dangerous safety and fire hazard. I will upload photos when I disassemble the car headlights again. The fire hazard was found when replacing an angel eye headlamp.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 052016

Internal headlight wiring insulation flaking off exposing copper wire causing failure of parking and daytime running lights and possible failure of the front headlight system as well as the risk of fire

- Mount Dora, FL, USA

Apr 142014

All headlight wiring shielding has deteriorated in the unit causing a shortage. This is a safety issue not only due to the shielding possibly causing a fire, but also an issue for safe driving as the lights no longer function to dot requirements.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Mar 022015

The wiring insulation is peeling around all of the wires in the headlight assembly. This is not a serviceable part, but the light bulbs are serviceable. This seems to pose a fire risk because bare conductors of opposite polarity are exposed to one another.

- Coral Gables, FL, USA

Feb 142015

530 6-cyl

A message on the vehicle display screen indicated that the right-side low beam headlight was malfunctioning. I removed the headlight assembly to replace the bulb and found the wiring insulation is crumbling to the touch, resulting in a short circuit. The headlight bulb is not actually burned out. There are many complaints about this on the BMW forums but BMW and the headlight manufacturer, hella, refuses to acknowledge the problem or do anything about it.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 212014

530 6-cyl

Failures of multiple wires/electrical components in the tailgate/rear window wiring harnesses. Search for BMW E61 tailgate wiring problems. The failures are caused by a poor design where the wires entering the hinge guides (4) for the glass and tailgate are repeatedly flexed at a sharp angle until the insulation, then the copper wire breaks. Safety issues - possible electrical short circuit leading to fires (highest load is for rear defroster); lighting failures (rear high brake light, license plate lamps and others); reduced visibility due to loss of wiper/washer/defroster; rear glass latch opening while underway, possibly resulting in loss of cargo or ingress of exhaust fumes. This is not an easily repaired problem and has cost over $2000 so far. I'm worried about driving this car as it is the main transportation for my children and their friends.I discovered it when the remote lock/unlock using the key fobs failed, the trunk inoperable and uncloseable, the radio stopped working, the lights in the rear of the car stayed on permanently and I had to drive home one night with the trunk wide open because the wiring had stopped working and it could not be closed. As I investigated I found many broken ground wires, along with several others with broken insulation, some with broken copper strands etc. I have already had the right and left wire harnesses replaced at an independent dealer for about $2200. This is a safety issue and I'm worried that more will come.

- Orinda, CA, USA

Dec 142014

530 6-cyl

Upon replacing a head light bulb I notice that the headlight wiring inside the headlight housing was exposed and the insulation crumbling to the touch. Many wires are exposed without insulation thus creating a short circuit potential and fire hazard, I have researched about this and it seems it is a common problem with bmws, there are many owners with this issue. I feel there should be a recall for this before someone car catches fire and\or someone dies, bmwna doesn't seem to want to resolve this issue based on all the owners complaints and their negative response.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Oct 252014

530 6-cyl

I was replacing a parking (angel eye) bulb in the drivers side of my 2006 BMW 530I and noticed that the wiring for the parking and high beam bulb was so brittle that the was falling off exposing the bare wiring and I also noted a smell of burnt plastic. I checked the forums and other owners with the same headlights 2004-2010 5 series were reporting the same issue. BMW is not offering a tsb or a recall for this. The lights in this case are the bi-xenon adaptive lights. It appears the heat created by the hid unit is causing the wires to become brittle. I emailed BMW usa directly and I was just referred to a dealer. For the time being I have wrapped the wiring in electrical tape until I can afford to replace each unit. I am afraid to use my high beams because I do not want to blow anymore bulbs, short out my lighting system or possibly even start a fire. I have considered downgrading the type of lighting system in my car but that would entail having to rewire the car and reprogram the computer to recognize the new type of lighting.

- Citrus Heigths , CA, USA

Sep 112014

530 6-cyl

As I was driving a warning came on my idrive display that there was a parking light malfunction. I later removed the headlight to replace a bulb and upon doing so I noticed bare copper wires. I then removed the main cover and saw that literally every wire had portions of the outer wire jacket deteriorating. When I removed the parking lamp assy. To replace the bulb, the wire jacket just flaked off. Due to the severity of the damage I immediately took the headlight to lauderdale BMW. Lauderdale BMW had a specialist look at the headlight. The specialist said that though it did look very bad unfortunately it was just due to the Florida sun! there is no support for the headlight either from hella North America (the actual manufacturer of the headlight) or from BMW. No parts can be ordered for it. The only option available is to purchase a complete new headlight assy. At $1500 I wrote to hella North America and they referred me to BMW germany. I wrote to bmwna and they responded that it was just normal wear and tear. Imagine that, an 8 year old headlight deteriorate to bare wires is by BMW's concern, normal wear and tear! that's shameful! at this point I cannot install the headlight assembly back into the car for fear of a dead short and possible fire! I have a 1995 Chevrolet S-10 that at 19 years has no wiring issues and definitely no bare wires! for BMW though it is considered completely acceptable after 8 years! yet both vehicles sit side by side in the Florida sun everyday! is it right that BMW vehicle pricing on the average is so much higher than Chevrolet and yet BMW's build quality and what is acceptable is so much lower! when this happens, something is terribly wrong!

- Plantation, FL, USA

Aug 102013

530 6-cyl

Have a problem with the right headlight in my 530I 2006 BMW. The angel light bulb burned out and when I went to replace it, the wire covers started to come off exposing the wires completely. After replacing the bulb (which was a bit difficult to do), most of the wires in the headlight had no protection and were completely exposed. I had to cover them with electric tape to prevent some shorts, but missed a section I guess, since now the computer is giving me a adaptive headlight warning message and the light is not pointing to the proper direction. I have done some research on line and found that it is happening to a lot of people. Contacted BMW of North America, and they said since my car is out of warranty, they cannot do anything about it. The material used to cover these wires is not correct, as it will break off just by lightly touching them. I feel this is a safety concern where there may be short circuits while the car is running and it would affects the car's computers. In my case, the light control module is also shorted and must be replaced. I would like to know if there is anything you can do to find out if this is a safety concern or not. I believe it is specially on a car still new. Let me know if you would need any further information. Thank you.

- Davie, FL, USA

Jan 012009

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 535xi. The contact stated that the brake light assembly shorted out. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who decided to replace all three rear brake lights, rear driver side reverse light and both turn signals in the rear. In addition, the contact stated that the doors on the vehicle appear to close and latched and inadvertantly open. The contact was informed of recall NHTSA campaign id number: 12V504000 (latches/locks/linkages: Doors: Latch) but was informed it only affected the 2007 model. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 82,000.

- Emeryville, CA, USA

Apr 152009

The panoramic sunroof on E60 BMW wagons has a faulty design of the drains which re-directs water into the rear of the car (spare tire area) causing multiple electrical components to fail while driving: Lights, windshield wipers, door locks, speedometer, etc. In my case, the failure occurred twice in a period of 18 months. The dealer and BMW North America repaired the car at owners' expense although an extended warranty was in force. There has been a technical service bulletin issued by BMW but the dealer does not acknowledge the flaw and refers to the failure being caused by 'environmental influences'.

- Sautee Nacoochee, GA, USA