2.3

2008 BMW 535 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 535:

2008 BMW 535 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 202015

535

The contact owns a 2008 BMW model 535I. While driving 50 mph, an unknown warning light illuminated and indicated that the vehicle was overheating. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V521000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Pullman, MI, USA

Jun 232014

535

The vehicle overheated due to water pump failure. The vehicle was towed to a BMW dealership and the water pump and thermostat were replaced. Some BMW 5-series water pumps have been recalled.

- Portland, OR, USA

Apr 102015

535

While driving at 45 mph, yellow warning light indicating the car was overheating came on. A few seconds later the light turned red and indicated to stop the vehicle and shut the engine off. Vehicle lost all power and I came to a stop. It was towed to the shop and I was informed that the water pump and thermostat needed to be replaced adding that it was a common failure in the BMW. Vehicle had recently been serviced at BMW dealer.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Apr 032015

535

Car over heated and I called a mechanic and he told me the electric water pumps go out on them at around 100,000 miles. He told me how to trouble shoot the issue and it is the pump. Wonder if there is a recall for this...

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Mar 312015

535

Vehicle loss power while driving on hwy and idle rough. And check engine light came on.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Mar 252015

535

I started my car and upon starting it began rattling and shaking violently. I took a video of the message that appeared on the dash saying. Engine malfunction reduced power.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Jan 072015

535 6-cyl

I drove to work and the engine light was on that morning. The car drove as normal. I was driving home from work at approximately 6:30 P.M on a busy interstate in the middle lane traveling approx. 65 mph when the car began to shake and lose power. It automatically shifted into neutral and lose power. I had to maneuver to the shoulder in heavy traffic with no power. After turning on my hazard lights, I was able to safely get to the shoulder. The car was towed home. After a few days, we were able to drive it to the repair shop (not BMW) and was initially told that sensors were bad. Replaced them and a few days later, the same engine warning light came on again. This time I was told that it was bad injectors and that the fuel is burning to rich. BMW had previously replaced 2 of the injectors about 2 years ago. The car only had approximately 35K miles at that time and needed injectors replaced. Why they only replaced 2, is incomprehensible. Thankfully, the car was under warranty at that time, unfortunately for me, it is no longer under warranty and now I have to foot the $2K bill to have them replaced. BMW should be held accountable to its owners and replace these injectors since there are so many reported problems. There is obviously an issue with the injectors. These cars are not inexpensive to purchase and it is unfair to be stuck with these high repair bills when there is a know problem and reported by so many BMW owners. First, it was my water pump, and now the fuel injectors. This is my second BMW. I previously owned the 328 and it had lifters replaced after about 8 months. I will not purchase another BMW - probably go with Lexus! shame on BMW for not taking ownership of this problem..

- Hayward, CA, USA

Nov 102014

535 6-cyl

The car was shuddering due to misfiring fuel injectors and had erratic engine operation. Note: BMW is aware of this problem and issued a voluntary recall in December 2010. BMW noted in the recall that this repair is to be covered under warranty regardless of time or mileage on the vehicle. In my experience, BMW is not honoring the voluntary recall notice.

- Great Falls, VA, USA

Nov 302014

535 6-cyl

Drove the car home from work the day before. Went out the next day to start the vehicle and it was shaking and vibrating tremendously. I had it towed to the BMW dealership that stated the injectors were bad and needed to be replaced for $1,700. They then called me back and stated the dm E was also bad and the codes didn't pick it up in the beginning. They then asked for an additional $1,800. I picked up my car after repairs and did not make it home before the check engine light came on and lost power. Took it back to the BMW dealership who then stated it was the turbos that was bad and it would be an additional $5,600.!!!! I am not pleased with the 535I. I have wanted a BMW all of my life and I finally get one and it's been a nightmare. The water pump went out two months after I purchased it for $1,700! the BMW 535I has been one headache after the next and I feel like I was sold a used lemon of a car!!! I bought it from a certified BMW dealership!!! what a rip off!!! I called BMW of North America and they refused to offer assistance with repairs and so did the dealership!!! I feel like I've been robbed!!!

- Columbus, GA, USA

Oct 062014

535

2008 BMW 535I @70 mph, , when, with no warning, large red warning light appears, "engine overheated - turn off engine." Light came on suddenly and engine died, . barely able to get to the side of the road. Discovered the problem was an immediate failure of the electric water pump which causes sudden engine loss placing me@ danger. This problem has been reported by many drivers to BMW (see online forums) and they know this is a serious problem but have not issued recall notices on the electric water pumps on their vehicles. The complaint is reported on every forum regarding the car, as well as on this site. Please advise what it takes to reach the level of a recall.

- Byron, GA, USA

Aug 042014

535 6-cyl

Cold start in the morning for drive to work, car suffered slow start and rough idle. Then check engine light illuminated and reduced power notification on idrive with high coolant fan RPM. Shut down car for 30 minutes, restarted with no issue indicated in idrive but yellow check engine light illuminated on dash. Drove to dealer for scheduled appointment on safety recall for tail lamp assembly (13V-407). While at 40 mph and approximately 1/4 mile from dealer, engine surged then reduced power notification and check engine on idrive. Radiator fan went to high RPM and car slowed to approximately 20 mph rapidly almost causing an accident on a two lane road. Vehicle made it to the dealer without incident. Dealer indicates it is failure of high pressure fuel pump. This is the second replacement of the pump. Last one occurred within 27 months and 16K miles.

- Dupont, WA, USA

Jul 282014

535

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 535xi. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled as the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the temperature gauge displayed that the vehicle was overheating and the engine failed indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the water pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 100,400.

- Mokena, IL, USA

Jun 062014

535

During highway traveling upon acceleration to change lanes the car began to lose power and stall. A engine malfunction light came/reduced power. I had to drive the car about 45 mph because it began to shake as if it was going to cut off. Dealership advised that is was not the hpfp (high pressure fuel pump). I was told that all six fuel injectors needed to be replaced. This car can be very dangerous to drive on the highway because of its unreliability!

- Rex, GA, USA

Jun 242014

535 6-cyl

Driving a 2008 BMW 535I at highway speed, approximately 50 mph, when, with no warning, large red warning light appears, "engine overheated - turn off engine." Light came on suddenly and engine died to 5 mph and then stopped running. Barely able to get to the side of the road and in great danger from trucks bearing down on a mountainous curving California highway. Discovered the problem was an immediate failure of the electric water pump which causes sudden engine loss placing the driver in grave danger. This problem has been reported by many drivers to BMW (see online forums) and they know this is a serious problem but have not issued recall notices on the electric water pumps on their vehicles. They previously issued recalls on the high pressure fuel pumps but this also requires a recall as the car abruptly dies at highway speed.

- Aptos, CA, USA

Jan 052014

535 6-cyl

On January 5, 2014 driving on the highway approx. 55 mph the vehicle's displayed engine and transmission malfunction dropped my rate of speed to approximately 20 mph (safety mode) almost sustained a rear end collision I then pulled over onto the shoulder I turned the car off waited 10 minutes and turned it on without any issues. I took the car to BMW of tenafly, NJ they inspected the vehicle made some adjustments and said the car was good to drive on the way home traveling approx. 45 mph the car again displayed engine and transmission malfunction dropped my rate of speed to approximately 20 mph (safety mode) I pulled over I turned the car off waited 10 minutes and turned it on the malfunction continued the next day I brought the vehicle back to BMW of tenafly, NJ they changed the control module and some other component in the engine. On June 10, 2014 driving on I95 traveling approximately 65 mph the car onboard display showed a transmission malfunction and dropped my rate of speed to approximately 20 mph (safety mode), I pulled over onto the shoulder I turned the car off waited 10 minutes and turned it on without any issues. Traffic conditions were light, but could potentially be a serious issue (accident or fatality) during normal traffic conditions. On June 9, 2014 I filed a report with BMW usa and I have scheduled an appointment with the service department BMW of tenafly, NJ.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Mar 262014

535

We were stopped and waiting at a red light then pressed accelerator when the light turned green. The car starts moving then suddenly loses all power within seconds while entering a very busy freeway onramp. After losing power and car is dead, a warning message appears. Warning says car is "overheated and to stop, danger of burns with hot water pump." Car had not been driven for 2 hours prior to incident. There was absolutely no warning before losing all power and control of the car. Had to have car towed to dealer. Dealer replaced the water pump and did not explain the sudden loss of power or lack of warning. The car has had multiple problems with the high pressure fuel pump. The car also has had several warnings of sudden power loss that the dealer is unable to diagnose. The sudden stop on the freeway caused us to be nearly rear-ended a few times before the police came.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Apr 042014

535 6-cyl

Engine losses power while driving on highway, engine malfunction light comes on with warnings of engine reduced power.took it to BMW fremont, they found the vanos solenoid valves exhaust faulty, replaced both solenoids and performed an oil service with fuel injection/induction service. This time BMW na paid 85% of the bill as a one time goodwill!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 102013

535

Driving at 30mph, engines power suddenly reduced, engine malfunction light comes on. Took the car to BMW fremont, they found the intake camshaft position sensors faulty.they replaced camshaft sensors, pulse generator, O-ring and torque screw.as advised by the service agent had to do an oil, oilfilter change and fuel injection service to prevent default on the warranty of parts put in. As the car was out of the warranty period(even though it has a very low mileage of 18760) so had to pay $1235 out of pocket. At 19350miles the similar issue came up, took it back to BMW fremont, they found faults stored in dme,2A7C variable camshaft timing control intake cold start 1 time not currently present, cleared faults and customer to monitor.

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 072014

535 6-cyl

Drove car for appx 1 mile. Stopped for 10mins at a store. When I started it back up, a fan was louder than usual. I then recieved a high heat warning telling me to drive moderately or risk over heating. After a few more miles, I recieved a warning to stop the vehicle immediately due to excessive heat and not to open the hood for risk of burns. The vehicle slowed to a crawl. Luckily I was a few blocks from home. Next morning I took it to a non-BMW service center who said that the water pump malfunctioned ($950). There was a recall for certain 2008 models for the water pump. I confirmed with BMW that this model was not included. Based on similar complaints online, I believe it should be.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 012014

535 6-cyl

I took my car to the dealership for regular maintenance (oil change etc). They found right side engine mount bolt broken which can cause additional damage to the car. This was reported as a safety concern. I am the sole driver and have never had any issues or unusual road conditions. I searched on internet and I found a lot of complaints with 2008 bmws (5 series as well as 3 series). Definitely should be a safety recall !!!

- Milwaukee, WI, USA