2009 BMW 535 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 BMW 535:

2009 BMW 535 Owner Comments

Mar 112016

The car engine *completely* shutdown while being driven, *without* any warning; had just exited major interstate highway (I-95), and was still on exit ramp when this happened. The car was still in motion, the driver, luckily, was able to bring the car to the side of the ramp without any other damage. Diagnosis by nearest BMW dealer service indicated a simultaneous short circuit in the ekps (controller?) module, a fault in the main (low pressure) fuel pump and another short circuit in fuel pressure sensor. All this happened, simultaneously, without warning, in a very well maintained, dealer-serviced, low mileage (42000 miles) BMW 535I (yr 2009) vehicle. The fact that the engine *completely* shutdown, on an exit ramp of a major highway, and could not be restarted created a very hazardous condition for the driver of the vehicle and for other drivers on the road was well. Had this happened on the highway itself, and not on the exit ramp, there could have been a serious accident. Car engines of this sort ought to have *significant amount of redundancy* built into them so they don't shut down while in motion due to a "sensor" short circuit. The amount of electronics being used in modern cars has increased exponentially, but I feel that the manufacturer may not have built enough safeguards / redundancies in their systems to prevent this from happening. This was a major malfunction in a moving vehicle (and this could have easily happened at high speeds as well; luckily it occurred at a slower speed on an exit ramp). Such incidents need to be investigated thoroughly.

- Chadds Ford, PA, USA

Mar 012016

On September 10, 2016 I purchased this car and I have been experiencing stalling and jerking violently and I was told it was bad gas from dealership I purchased it from. I went to BMW in October 2015 I was told it was fuel injectors I was told no recall on the car at that time. In March 2016 the car stopped on me and my visually impaired grandson without warning on the freeway. I took the car to conrad and was told it was the fuel pump so I took the car to different BMW service center now I am told it the fuel pump but not the one under warranty. Both service centers refuse to replace fuel pump that is under extended warranty which is the prime problem. I told them the fuel pump is under extended warranty. They name other stuff instead of replacing the problem the car is a safety hazard. BMW is not sticking to keeping their cars safe. I believe is acting in a discriminatory way and want more money out of greed. Please see attached documents

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Mar 072016

Takata recall, I bought the car back in late August, at a dealership called deluxe auto located in linden, New Jersey. The dealership offered me a warranty, 30 days free and 90 days to decide to get the warranty or not. The initial offer was about 60$ monthly, at 79K miles. After having the car for a month driving on the highway late at night the car starting shaking and turned off on the highway. Fuel pump errors. Car was towed off the highway. After a few hrs car started and ran normally. Went to the dealership, got warranty. The offer now was at 120$ a month. They did the job, car ran normally. Happened again in brooklyn, sent car back to dealer they said nothing came up on the computer, nothing they can do. After a few months same thing happened. This time in Connecticut, sent it to the nearest mechanic shop, bill came to 850, not including towing 138$. now back to my dealership, when I went to them to pay for the warranty, my father used his credit card, since then I figured it would charge it monthly automatically. That is not the case, as I found out the dealership said nothing they can do. Other problem, car started leaking oil, on oil housing unit, engine oil valve. Got them both fixed at about 500$ at a local mechanic shop. Now a week later, at 1am of March 7th of 2016 I'm starting the car, it turns on and gives an error "engine reduced power" and "engine pressure too low, shut off engine immediately ". I'm about to be 22, gonna start college soon, I have been making payments to a 20K car, on top of all the maintance problems that this dealership sold me and tricked me into. I dont know if me writing all this would help me in any way but this sucks, on top of me being trapped on a highway until a tow truck comes, in nyc, 2 times where cars fly by you I want that when dealership sell cars to be sure that the customers are safe driving them.I hope it helps.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Mar 012016

Car stopped while on freeway moving at 50 miles per hour with my visually impaired grandchild very scary. Warning light came on fuel pump malfunction and car just stopped. Took it to conrad they say it is the high pressure fuel pump and I need to take it to BMW under recall BMW says it is the low pressure fuel pump but they are not sure it will fix the problem. BMW need to fix this problem I thank god we were not hit yesterday on the freeway.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Feb 072016

Driving on the highway, engine stops. First warning "engine malfunction, reduced power. But it had already stopped. After narrowing missing traffic parked in breakdown lane. Next warning fuel pump failure. Car would not re-start for an hour until tow truck arrived. Had to be towed to BMW dealer. Dealer reports low pressure fuel pump. Engine died again at dealers

- Stow, MA, USA

Dec 242015

The car suddenly displayed a warning saying the fuel pump malfunction and gave a notice that engine may shutdown immediately and to pull to a side. We complied - though it may have been pretty dangerous if we were on highways or in traffic. Tried to start again, the same issue. Got it toed to the BMW dealership. The dealer diagnosed the issue to be the high pressure injection pump and told us it is not covered. We called BMW and they told it is now covered as it has an extended warranty. We tell the dealer and the dealer tells us it is covered but another part edk pf is now not covered as it did show fault codes that were earlier than the fuel pump fault codes. My issue is if the fuel pump and edk work hand-in-hand, won't the two to be covered by BMW" why it should matter, which did show fault codes first" infact this is pretty dangerous situation and I wish BMW recalls and checks all vehicles and fix all the parts that are affected.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

May 152015

Vehicle shutters and misfires when automatic transmission downshifts while attempting to accelerate at cruising speeds. Engine light comes on and has reduced power until vehicle is restarted. Major safety concern when attempting to merge onto highway.

- Racine, WI, USA

Aug 232012

535 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway and all of a sudden when I tried to switch lanes, the car just made a big fumble and almost stalled. The traffic behind nearly became fatal as the car did not accelerate and I was very luck to have pulled back with the passing car barely hitting my mirror. I have taken this car to the dealer on many occasions and they have changed out all the injectors and still the car is having this problem. Every time I go to the dealer they keep changing the fuel injectors or recalibrating them. A simple google search will show that this is an on going issue with these cars and BMW of North America does not want to do anything about it. Even though this was reported before the end of the manufacturer's warranty and still ongoing, they refuse to cover the repairs. This is absurd and they should be held responsible as my family and my life is in danger every time we take to any road with this car. We are not in a financial position to afford repairs as it is very expensive and unfortunately we are forced to take a risk every time we have somewhere to go. My pregnant wife and my self has missed almost 20 times where another car could have hit us. I fear one of these days we will not be so lucky. Please help.

- South Ozone Park, NY, USA

Jan 142013

535 6-cyl

In the 4 1/2 years that my 535xi has been in service, the fuel injectors have needed to be replaced 3 times (Sept 2011, Jan 2013, and Sept 2014). The problems have manifested themselves when driving on highways and the vehicle loses most power and begins shaking and the check engine gases light comes on. The most recent time occurred while on an interstate tollway between exits 15 miles apart making for a dangerous situation as I lost speed and any ability to accelerate. Efforts to have BMW cover the repairs (estimated at $2,200 including new plugs), were both unsuccessful and frustrating. The dealer provided zero assistance. I contacted BMW na and stated that having to replace the fuel injectors 3 times in 4 1/2 years indicates a defective design and results in dangerous situations. I was told that they would investigate and inform me whether the repairs would be covered. They said they would notify me within 3-5 business days although they would try to expedite the process since I was without a car. At the end of the 5th business day, there was no response so I called and the person I needed to speak with was in a meeting and was supposed to call me back. After another full business day and no call, I called a again and was told that there was no coverage but they did not provide any rationale. This has been a repetitive and dangerous problem.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

Sep 032012

535 6-cyl

My first incident occurred while I was traveling on I-185. My vehicle suddenly lost power and began sputtering and check engine light came on. This happened while traffic was heavy but miraculously I was able to merge over to the emergency lane and exit off the interstate. BMW dealership diagnosis it as a failed in-tank electric fuel pump and sensor. It was repaired and I paid $1254. Unfortunately, a week later, I experienced another loss of engine power and check engine light came on while I was traveling on the interstate. This time BMW dealership told me they had to upgrade software and change out some injectors and that should solve my problem. I bought this car to drive it and not send it back and forth to the repair shop.

- Columbus, GA, USA