2010 BMW 535 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 BMW 535:

2010 BMW 535 Owner Comments

Jul 082013

535 6-cyl

After hitting a bump when entering a driveway, water spilled in the rear cargo area of the station wagon, water drained into spare tire wheel well where electronic control modules reside shorting out most major controls-anti lock brakes, load leveling, transmission, traction control, etc. It is the lowest point of the car's interior.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Jan 282014

535 6-cyl

Ignition coil malfunction recurs after dealership repairs of the same problem. Causes engine speed to vary and be outside the drivers control.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 222012

535

Within two weeks of taking ownership of this car, I experienced a series of faults in the system where the car froze up and had to be towed to the dealer for repair. Over the past two years, the car has experienced a variety of malfunctions in the electronic warning system. On 5/22/12, upon leaving my residence, I lost momentary control of the car. The car stopped, jerked and then I hit a curb and when I righted the car, I pressed down on the brake pedal, but the car accellerated to a high speed. I travelled approximately 100' to where there were three cars and one motorcycle stopped at a red light. I was unable to stop the car and hit the driver of the motor cycle at a high speed. The car was repaired with nearly $25,000 in damage. The following morning after I had received the car, and during a cold start, the car did the same thing again. It "jerked" the wheel turned and this time I righted the car. Over the next few days, the car did it again several times. One week later when I was driving it (again a cold start and within 1/2 mile of my home garage), the car did the "jerking" movement and I temporarily lost control of the car. I immediately pulled over and called BMW to report the situation and have the car towed. I was told that it was a fault in the car's software system. BMW had the car at its shop for 10 days, returned it to me and I've not experienced the malfunction since.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 142010

535

Air bag warning light illuminates with adult passenger firmly belted into passenger seat. Light remains illuminated for periods which vary from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. There is no way to tell if this is a defective light only or if the air bag is inoperative. An additional safety concern is that BMW diagnostic techniques are not able to detect this failure. BMW refuses to correct the defect.

- New York, NY, USA

Mar 302010

535

I experienced a failure of my pdc(parking distance control) system. The system failed to operate and I scraped a wooden pole as a result of this failure. I was looking behind me, as I was backing up, the system is designed to go on when reverse gear is on, but it failed to employ. My vehicle is a BMW 2010 528I. This is my fifth BMW 5 series and since the I-drive there have been various problems with the car ;however the pdc system in my previous BMW 2007 operated consistently as intended every time. The system in my current vehicle operated consistently until March 30th, when it failed to employ and I had the small accident. Fortunately it was just a wooden pole and not a dog or small child that was hit. The reason I pay for this system is because it improves the line of vision of the driver by showing items out of mirror and sightline therefore improving safety. However, BMW (although they agreed to pay for my repair) claims that the system is just fine. For days after the incident I watched the screen each time I put the car in reverse and sometimes the BMW logo would sit on the screen for 2 to 3 minutes, sometimes the accept gear screen would come on, sometime the pdc (which is the only one that should come on). There are anecdotal stories on line of other drivers having the same failure of this system. BMW insists that the inconsistency in performance is the way the pdc operates depending on what the last computer function was when you shut off the car. This is absurd. I believe an investigation is necessary into the malfunction of this system to prevent more serious injury accidents. Since the repair the pdc now once again comes up immediately when I go into reverse yet the claim not to have adjusted anything on the computer. The model 528 I is not on your list so I must mark 535I which is the closest model you have listed but not the same.

- Malibu, CA, USA