2.9

2011 BMW 535 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW 535:

2011 BMW 535 Owner Comments

Apr 012016

535

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 535I. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 14V176000 (engine and engine cooling). After the repair, the vehicle experienced engine failure. The vehicle was repaired by an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Zebulon, NC, USA

Sep 192016

535

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 535I. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power and could not be operated. The failure occurred without warning. The contact found that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V176000 (engine and engine cooling). The dealer refused to repair the vehicle because the technician suggested that the battery needed to be replaced first. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 88,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Uniondale, NY, USA

May 132016

535

My car stalled while driving around 50 mph on a 4-lane highway on 13 May 2016. It stopped in the middle of the road blocking traffic. I was able to back the car off the road (into oncoming traffic) with much difficulty because all systems were shut down. I called aaa and waited. The car started after I waited about 20 minutes and I cancelled the aaa tow. This happened several times before, the last time was when I had about 70,000 miles on the car. The car was recalled, I took it to the dealer and it did not happen again until last week. I now have 135,000 miles on the car. This is a very dangerous issue. I had to authorize the prescribed repair. This seems to be recurring defect that BMW should repair in all of these cars. Dealer tells be that it is a fuel pump and filter problem. This is not what was repaired at 70,000 miles.

- Chadds Ford, PA, USA

Mar 012016

535

Fuel system. Latley I have been driving me 2011 bmws 535I and have been having some scary problems with it. Last week I was on the highway driving 65 mph when I noticed the power of car was turning on and off. (headlights, dash lights, car power everything) it then completely shut off on the freeway. Luckily I was close to the shoulder and pulled over. Prior to this incident, my car was left at the BMW dealership in san diego for a full inspection and nothing was brought to my attention. After doing some research, I see that I am one of the thousands that are experiencing this same problem. Fuel pump and injectors gone bad. Please push for a recall!

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Mar 012016

535

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 535I. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine cylinder misfired. In addition, the spark plugs, the ignition coils, the fuel pump, and the fuel injectors needed to be replaced and the software needed to be updated. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Feb 012012

535

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 535xi. While the vehicle was in the driveway with the engine turned on, the engine belt idler pulley bolt failed. The failure caused the power steering to malfunction and the alternator to stop working. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be repaired. The contact indicated that the remedy for NHTSA campaign number: 12V550000 (engine, steering) was performed in December of 2012. The failure recurred on May 12, 2014 and was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure recurred on February 15, 2016. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Jim Thorpe, PA, USA

Jun 012014

535

Again, I received a recall in the mail regarding recall 14V-176: Vanos assembly bolts since June 2014 and today is Sept 25th, I still haven't gotten an answer as to if they have parts to replaced this recall. I called the el cajon BMW dealership in California san diego where I purchased my used BMW from and they kept on saying they don't have parts for my car yet BMW hasn't supplied them with the parts for the recall. Im concern for my safety and my family's safety and want to file a complaint for my vehicle. Please inform me of what to do? and if U can contact BMW.... its been 4 months of my recall letter and I'm tired of calling them.

- Chula Vista , CA, USA

Aug 012014

535

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 535I. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V176000 (engine); however, the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The dealer did not provide a specific date as to when the part would become available. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Neshanic Station, NJ, USA

Jun 182013

535

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 535I. The contact stated while driving 30 mph, the vehicle started making a rattling noise. Also, the contact mentioned that the vehicle had previously stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the frame bolt was loose. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V176000 (engine and engine cooling).however, the parts were not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 24,431.

- Vestavia, AL, USA

Jun 102014

535 6-cyl

I received a recall notice from BMW in June 2014 re a potential bolt failure. The letter stated I would be notified when the parts would be in and when repairs can be done. When I contacted the local dealership (elmhurst BMW and BMW North America) on July 10, they said they have no idea when the parts will be in. It occurs to me that BMW may be attempting to limit their potential liability via the letter and the symptoms listed (poor gas mileage, etc.). as a single female with this car as my only method of transportation, it is rather disconcerting and every thing this car does right now makes me nervous. BMW North America suggested I contact you with my complaint re the recall.

- Naperville , IL, USA

Jun 092013

535 6-cyl

When accelerating from a stop there is a very noticeable throttle response lag of over 1 second before the vehicle starts moving. If you are not aware of this behavior when driving the vehicle this is a major safety hazard when pulling into or out of intersections. It is as if the vehicle does not know which gear to use and tries to start out in second gear, then when the car doesn't start moving the driver presses the accelerator down further until finally the software in the computer decides to downshift into first gear and then the car takes off like a rocket, which is also very dangerous if you are not expecting it.

- Lenexa, KS, USA