2.2

2011 BMW 535 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW 535:

2011 BMW 535 Owner Comments

Oct 212016

535

My car is a 2011 BMW 535 I X drive, has 68,000 miles. I bought it new on 10/19/2011 on Friday 10/21/2016 my car stalled and wouldn't start while driving in the middle of a main high traffic busy road in rush hour. Luckily, I didn't have a crash and I called BMW roadside assistance, they said "this service is no longer available" to me. I called my insurance roadside assistance and they towed the car to the nearest BMW dealer (where I bought it from). The dealer service dept. Said that the car was on empty (no gas) even though the fuel sensor light didn't come on and it showed 70 miles left to empty. After researching BMW recalls I found this problem was recalled for 2010 and 2011 5 series. I never received a recall letter. Dealer service didn't believe me first and said that I drove it on empty and just needed gas and wanted me to pick it up after they put in 3 gallons of gas. I insisted that that what happened, the sensor light didn't come on and it showed 70 miles left. They were not aware of the problem or the recall. The car is still there and they gave me a small cheap loaner car which I have now. This could be a major safety hazard and should be taken seriously, not just add gas and go. Thanks, report receipt date: Jul 22, 2010 NHTSA campaign number: 10V331000 component(s): Fuel system, other makes/models/model years: BMW/5-series/2010-2011 BMW/5-series gran turismo/2010-2011 NHTSA campaign number: 10V-331 mfg's report date: July 21, 2010 components: Fuel system, other:storage:fuel gauge system potential number of units affected: 6,080 summary: BMW is recalling certain 2010 and 2011 5-series and 5-series gran turismo passenger vehicles manufactured from January 12 through July 1, 2010. The vehicle's fuel level sensor within the fuel tank can become wedged against the tank.

- Glen Cove, NY, USA

Jul 282016

535

While filling the car with gas, engine off, fuel started pouring out the bottom of the car. At the dealership I was told that the fuel pump had a hole in it and that part of the wiring harness had melted. Extremely dangerous situation that could have resulted in fire, explosion, injury or worst. I have the repair order if needed.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

May 132016

535

My car stalled while driving around 50 mph on a 4-lane highway on 13 May 2016. It stopped in the middle of the road blocking traffic. I was able to back the car off the road (into oncoming traffic) with much difficulty because all systems were shut down. I called aaa and waited. The car started after I waited about 20 minutes and I cancelled the aaa tow. This happened several times before, the last time was when I had about 70,000 miles on the car. The car was recalled, I took it to the dealer and it did not happen again until last week. I now have 135,000 miles on the car. This is a very dangerous issue. I had to authorize the prescribed repair. This seems to be recurring defect that BMW should repair in all of these cars. Dealer tells be that it is a fuel pump and filter problem. This is not what was repaired at 70,000 miles.

- Chadds Ford, PA, USA

Mar 012016

535

Fuel system. Latley I have been driving me 2011 bmws 535I and have been having some scary problems with it. Last week I was on the highway driving 65 mph when I noticed the power of car was turning on and off. (headlights, dash lights, car power everything) it then completely shut off on the freeway. Luckily I was close to the shoulder and pulled over. Prior to this incident, my car was left at the BMW dealership in san diego for a full inspection and nothing was brought to my attention. After doing some research, I see that I am one of the thousands that are experiencing this same problem. Fuel pump and injectors gone bad. Please push for a recall!

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Sep 062015

535

Fuel floater is broken, therefore I have no idea how much fuel is in the tank.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Aug 122015

535

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 535I. The contact received a notification for an extended warranty issued for the fuel pump. The contact had not experienced any failures related to the fuel pump; however, the contact was concerned that if the failure occurred it could lead to a serious injury or death. The manufacturer would not replace the fuel pump until a failure occurred. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Warwick, NY, USA