6.8

2011 BMW 550 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW 550:

2011 BMW 550 Owner Comments

Jul 202013

550

The contact stated that the passenger side front tire had 2 bubbles forming on the sidewall of the tire. The tire was not diagnosed. The vehicle manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 10,000. Jft

- Abo, NY, USA

Aug 252011

550

This is the second occurrence of a sidewall bubble on my BMW Goodyear excellence19" run flat tires 98 on my 2011 BMW 550I. In January 2013 at 11,000 miles my right front developed a bubble and needed to be replaced. I only noticed because my tire pressure monitor alert came on and when I took my car to have my tires checked they noticed the bubble. Now at 14,000 my left front side tire is also developing a sidewall bubble. The tires have plenty of tread and I do not abuse my car. I am very careful about avoiding potholes and drive slowly over railroad tracks.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 272013

550

Goodyear run on flat 245/40/19 gets bubble on tire. I had to change the same tire within 10 days with no warranty coverage available. Then a week later had to change another tire which is 3 tires within 5,000 miles and cost of $1,600.

- Cinnaminson, NJ, USA

Apr 242013

550

I just had my 4th Goodyear run flat tire failure. The first two were replaced by Goodyear as they said the tires were defective. Last month one of the replaced tires failed and they charged me for the replacement. Today the 4th tire failed. The tire develops a bubble in the side wall that is 5 to 6 inches long and protrudes about an inch and a half. It affects the steering and causes harsh vibrations. I just searched the internet and see a possible class action law suit may be started by BMW owners as this is a known problem that Goodyear is aware of. These tires are not safe and will cause serious accidents. BMW is also aware of this problem but neither company is doing anything about it.

- Cromwell, CT, USA

Oct 042011

550

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 550X1 equipped with Goodyear Eagle LS2 run flat tires, size 245/40/19. The contact was driving over a pothole when the front driver's side tire exploded. The vehicle was driven with caution and the defective tire was replaced. There had been a total of ten tires that were replaced on the vehicle since 2011 as a result of a blow-out or bubbles on the sidewall. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000.

- Wyckoff, NJ, USA

Jan 152013

550

I have had 15 tire defects requiring replacement of !! tires in 16,300 miles of driving. These defect result in unsafe driving conditons and possibility of accidents. The tires are not capable of sustaining minor and normal highway conditions. My tires are currently being replaced again. Three bulges on the right front, two of the left front and one on the right rear. These are not do to driving they have resulted in 11 new tires and 15 blowouts, in 16,300 miles. The tires have a design flaw. See internet for complaints> this is a serious safety issue which need investigation.

- Cherry Hills Village , CO, USA

Nov 022012

550 8-cyl

Bulge in sidewall of Goodyear tire many complaints online.

- Barrington, IL, USA

Jul 042012

550 8-cyl

Tire bubble on sidewall front right tire. This has happened to my tires 3 times. The tires are Goodyear run flat excellence 245/40R19 98Y.

- West Hills, CA, USA

Jun 152011

550

Automobile was purchased in May 2011, and I have had to replace my Goodyear P245/40R19 run flat tires six (6) times. I have experienced 4 sidewall blowouts, some on interstate some on regular roads. I have had to replace two tires due to sidewall bubbles, due to tire sidewall breakdown. This automobile is not safe at any speed and I have had to use my 2012 Ford Focus for most of my driving. BMW has done absolutely nothing in regard to this problem and I truly believe that these tires have a manufacturers defect.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Mar 232012

550 8-cyl

My 2011 BMW 550I X gran turismo was purchased in 3/11. In 10/11 I had the tires checked and topped off with nitrogen. The car had about 10,500 miles. On Saturday, 3/17/12 the ipm system said the tires had low pressure. All tires. I took the car to the dealership, drop it off and, with a loan car, did some running. I received a call from the dealership that my right rear tire was down to the cords on the upper inside sidewall. In addition, the left rear was almost down to the cords on the same place on the tire. The front left and right were not as bad but showed wear at the same spots on the tires as the rear tires. The dealership told me to replace all tires. At that time, I chose to just replace the rear. The dealership also told me that it was probably caused by a the car being badly out of alignment. Therefore, I had my 2011 BMW 550I X GT given an alignment. When I looked closely at the tire that was showing the cords I could see that the tread was separating from the body of the tire. If that tire or any of the others would have had the cord separate it could have caused a very bad accident. The alignment was ok, only the front right tire out by 0.01 degree. I called Goodyear and I told them what had happen. When I told them the tread was trying to separate the agent put me on hold, came back, told me to take the car to a local tire company and let their representative look at the tires. The tires were looked at, the rep call Goodyear, came back and told me Goodyear would be replacing the front tires. Goodyear would also send me a rebate for the back tires, nothing else. I wonder if this is part of the same problem that people are having with BMW 5 series and Goodyear runflats. Lastly, I still have the tire with the cords showing and the tread separating. The dealership gave them back to me since I paid full price for the tires at the time of replacement.

- Dayton , NV, USA