2006 BMW 760 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 760:

2006 BMW 760 Owner Comments

Nov 132015

The front light bulbs have blown on the left side twice. The harness wire connection is faulty. Also the dynamic drive inactive while the transmission jerks when you accelerate after vehicle stops.

- Sylacauga, AL, USA

Oct 162014

760 8-cyl

I had been feeling some powerful her king when I begun to stop and accelerate a couple times.. and then one day it just stop going into gear period..

- Paris, TX, USA

Mar 052014

760 12-cyl

Vehicle would shift to neutral on its on then shut off in the middle of traffic. It was also rough idling, loss of power, and extended ignition start.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jan 092013

760 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 7 series. The contact stated that after shifting into park, the vehicle independently shifted into neutral. Immediately after, the transmission failed safe mode light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the contact was informed that the vehicle needed a software update. The vehicle was not included. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 12V502000 (electrical system, power train). The failure and current mileages were approximately 124,000....updated 04/25/13

- Higgingsville, MO, USA

Oct 202012

760 4WD 8-cyl

Oct 19th 2012, 2006 BMW 750li. (automatic park feature causes vehicle to almost run over my daughter on its own) I stopped the car on my driveway and opened the driver door while at the same time pushed the P park button on the shifter (opening door while car is stopped causes this model to automatically shift to "P" park) I proceeded to exit car to key in my garage code on the keypad mounted by the door about 8 feet away. This is my first car with automatic park feature so just in case I always manually push the "P" park button as a redundant habit. I think it's important to note that I physically saw the transmission shift from D drive to P park and light up before exiting the vehicle. The car was still running and in park!, when out of the corner of my eye, before the garage door could open I noticed the car following me. It moved about 8 feet and barely missed my 4 year old that was on her bicycle about 5 feet away. It slammed into my garage door at around 2-5mph before coming to a stop on its own before I could do anything about it. When I got back in the car, there was little gear light on the dash and a transmission failure code" appeared and it had shifted to N neutral on its own. Now when I attempt to put in D drive it automatically goes into neutral after a few seconds. Apparently, it went into neutral all by itself and inertial plowed into the door. It didn't make sense to me how it went from park to neutral until I read your article regarding an ongoing investigation. I further found through the BMW forums that this is an issue affecting many cars in this year and model range. I even noticed that your administration has investigated this issue in the past.

- Desoto, TX, USA

Oct 302011

Transmission failed and would not engage D1, D2, D3. Unable to move car forward.

- Richmond, VA, USA